Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I'm concerned about this method of ordering so far ahead. I placed my order Monday for delivery Saturday. When I look at the site now, it shows that only 2 of my 8 chosen items are in stock. So nearly everything I chose is currently OUT of stock.
I fear this as well. Walmart seems (unconfirmed) to”hide” any products that are out of stock. I've ordered some covid19 prep items....cough drops, disinfectant wipes, tp. I anxious to see if we actually get them

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
I wouldn't dream of asking my supermarket to take up a delivery slot just to bring me milk, bread, eggs and a few vegetables.
Weird thinking IMO .... if that's all I needed (and was unable to go to the store myself) then that's what I'd order.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Weird thinking IMO .... if that's all I needed (and was unable to go to the store myself) then that's what I'd order.
Why do you think it is 'weird'. I gave you the reasoning. Taking up a scarce commodity such as a delivery slot under the present circumstances is not efficient use of a scarce service. To do so is SELFISH cainvest. Can you not see that?

Where does this 'all I needed' come from? Are you not going to need some groceries for next week or the week after? If you are going to place an order, why can't you place an order for more that you may not need today but will need tomorrow?

It's OLD thinking again cainvest. We have to act in the ways that make BEST sense NOW. Larger orders, less frequently in this case.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
I'm concerned about this method of ordering so far ahead. I placed my order Monday for delivery Saturday. When I look at the site now, it shows that only 2 of my 8 chosen items are in stock. So nearly everything I chose is currently OUT of stock.
I think the picker will ask you for substitutions when they collect your order. At least they should!

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
I fear this as well. Walmart seems (unconfirmed) to”hide” any products that are out of stock. I've ordered some covid19 prep items....cough drops, disinfectant wipes, tp. I anxious to see if we actually get them
Not likely.

When they are picking these orders, they are pulling from the retail shelf. If there is nothing on the shelf, you don't get what you ordered. Now, a lot of times these orders might get picked in the morning before the store opens, so if there is stock that arrived overnight you would have a better chance of getting it before the hoarding hordes can snatch it.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
Why do you think it is 'weird'. I gave you the reasoning. Taking up a scarce commodity such as a delivery slot under the present circumstances is not efficient use of a scarce service. To do so is SELFISH cainvest. Can you not see that?

Where does this 'all I needed' come from? Are you not going to need some groceries for next week or the week after? If you are going to place an order, why can't you place an order for more that you may not need today but will need tomorrow?

It's OLD thinking again cainvest. We have to act in the ways that make BEST sense NOW. Larger orders, less frequently in this case.
It's weird because of your reasoning!

I have lots of food that'll last me for months BUT items like milk, bread, etc don't last that long by expiry date alone. If I see that I was getting low on something I'd add that to my next "milk & bread" order.

For me this point is moot right now as I still go to the store myself ...

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Keeping in mind I haven't received this order yet, the PC Express Delivery site shows me:

$8 delivery fee. Would be a bit lower if I had a larger order, possibly.
$2 service fee
$6 tip (my choice)
A $10 delivery charge is more than a lot of low income people can spare. I didn't see much in the stimulus package for low income seniors.

By the way, I heard some bank analysts talking on the news about the financial health of the banks. He said .....no worries, they have the "bail in" if needed.

So there it is. The bank "bail in" that could never happen is now on the table, just as you predicted it would be some day.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Grocery gateway booked solid til Apr 16. Walmart also has no slots open.

starve or isolate are looking like good options....

I hope there is plan somewhere if Emergency Measures act is enacted and people’s movements are further restricted.....choosing between violating isolation/quarantine vs getting food seems like a small, but possible risk.

my community ( 300 homes....20 mins from a city) has virtually zero home delivery options and is a seniors community. What happens when the healthy seniors become to afraid to go out And shop for others?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Grocery gateway booked solid til Apr 16. Walmart also has no slots open.

starve or isolate are looking like good options....
I can only assume you are referring to a city Money172375. As I posted on the other thread this morning, we placed an order this morning and it will be delivered this afternoon by our small local Foodland in our small town of 3000 people.

There are pros and cons to where anyone chooses to live and you are experiencing a con of where you choose to live while I am experiencing a pro of where we choose to live.

All I can suggest is that rather than focusing on the problem you focus on finding a solution. Put in an order for Apr 16 delivery if that is the best you can find and then look for solutions to get your groceries in some other way until then. Then remember to put in another order before Apr 16 to get a delivery further down the road.

You may have to do some real 'out of the box' thinking for you in what you need to do now vs. what you did in the past. How many alternatives to grocery delivery have you looked at? Phone your local restaurants and ask if they are delivering. Have you tried meal prep companies such as Get $40 OFF - Canada’s #1 Meal Kit Delivery or HelloFresh Recipe Boxes to see what their current delivery times are? Or fully pre-cooked meal services such as Healthy Meal Delivery - As Low As $4.95 A Meal - LiveFitFoods.ca

Your problem is not that you will have to starve, it is ONLY a problem of what to do until April 16. Find a way to 'bridge the gap'.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
A $10 delivery charge is more than a lot of low income people can spare. I didn't see much in the stimulus package for low income seniors.
I don't buy that as a reason for MOST people, even low income people sags. It is a problem IF they continue to think as they have in the past and to spend as they have in the past. NOW they may need to change their priorities. I don't think there are many people in whose spending habits you could not find a way to cut $10 from somewhere else to re-direct to paying a delivery charge.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I can only assume you are referring to a city Money172375. As I posted on the other thread this morning, we placed an order this morning and it will be delivered this afternoon by our small local Foodland in our small town of 3000 people.

There are pros and cons to where anyone chooses to live and you are experiencing a con of where you choose to live while I am experiencing a pro of where we choose to live.

All I can suggest is that rather than focusing on the problem you focus on finding a solution. Put in an order for Apr 16 delivery if that is the best you can find and then look for solutions to get your groceries in some other way until then. Then remember to put in another order before Apr 16 to get a delivery further down the road.

You may have to do some real 'out of the box' thinking for you in what you need to do now vs. what you did in the past. How many alternatives to grocery delivery have you looked at? Phone your local restaurants and ask if they are delivering. Have you tried meal prep companies such as Get $40 OFF - Canada’s #1 Meal Kit Delivery or HelloFresh Recipe Boxes to see what their current delivery times are? Or fully pre-cooked meal services such as Healthy Meal Delivery - As Low As $4.95 A Meal - LiveFitFoods.ca

Your problem is not that you will have to starve, it is ONLY a problem of what to do until April 16. Find a way to 'bridge the gap'.
to clarify....booked til Apr 16......no calendar exists beyond that date

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It's weird because of your reasoning!

I have lots of food that'll last me for months BUT items like milk, bread, etc don't last that long by expiry date alone. If I see that I was getting low on something I'd add that to my next "milk & bread" order.

For me this point is moot right now as I still go to the store myself ...
Sigh, old thinking. Both milk and bread can be frozen and their expiry date only applies if they are not. Even if you don't freeze milk, some like 2% Natrel which we happen to buy has an expiry date of 3-4 weeks if unopened. Even before this situation, we did not need to buy milk or bread all that often if we didn't want to. Every two weeks for both was fine and still is obviously. Of course we aren't a family of 6 going through a gallon a day either. They could also last 2 weeks easily but might not have enough space in their fridge to store it all.

The only short term grocery items we buy really are fruit and vegetables. While there are ways around that by cooking and freezing you could use, it does get more difficult. You can't freeze a Caesar Salad. But even fresh fruit and vegetables will be good for 2 weeks in general. For example, don't buy ripe bananas to eat today and tomorrow, buy them a touch green to eat next week. Change habits.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
to clarify....booked til Apr 16......no calendar exists beyond that date
So what? If your problem is what to eat today and tomorrow, find an answer to that today and then tomorrow, look at the booking site again and keep looking till you can place an order. Until you can get a delivery you keep solving TODAY'S problem.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've just heard that our local Kiwanis Club is also having volunteer members deliver to those who need deliveries and not just of groceries. Has anyone who is having trouble getting delivery phoned around their local service clubs to ask if they are offering any help?

It's solutions we need to share, not confirmations of a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
Sigh, old thinking. Both milk and bread can be frozen and their expiry date only applies if they are not. Even if you don't freeze milk, some like 2% Natrel which we happen to buy has an expiry date of 3-4 weeks if unopened. Even before this situation, we did not need to buy milk or bread all that often if we didn't want to. Every two weeks for both was fine and still is obviously. Of course we aren't a family of 6 going through a gallon a day either. They could also last 2 weeks easily but might not have enough space in their fridge to store it all.

The only short term grocery items we buy really are fruit and vegetables. While there are ways around that by cooking and freezing you could use, it does get more difficult. You can't freeze a Caesar Salad. But even fresh fruit and vegetables will be good for 2 weeks in general. For example, don't buy ripe bananas to eat today and tomorrow, buy them a touch green to eat next week. Change habits.
Sure, anyone can go into "survival mode" and please do so if you think it's needed in your area. Maybe you can get a deal on army surplus MREs? Lots of options available ... for now I'll just pick the stuff up at the store, while I'm still allowed, so I don't overload the delivery system for people that really need it.

So for online home delivery can you specify the bananas be "not ripe" or "mostly green"?

61 - 80 of 119 Posts