Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
What is the purpose of asking about delivery fees?

Which is more important, protecting your health or saving a few dollars? Everything does not have to have an acceptable dollar cost attached to it. IF I were to say to you, pay me $100 or you will die, would that change the equation?

It costs what it costs, ignore it.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
What is the purpose of asking about delivery fees?

Which is more important, protecting your health or saving a few dollars? Everything does not have to have an acceptable dollar cost attached to it. IF I were to say to you, pay me $100 or you will die, would that change the equation?

It costs what it costs, ignore it.
If one store charges 25% more than another store to deliver the same products, I'll take the cheaper one thank you. :)
What's the difference there in health risks?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If one store charges 25% more than another store to deliver the same products, I'll take the cheaper one thank you. :)
What's the difference there in health risks?
If one store can deliver in 7 days and another only in 10 days, I'll take the faster delivery thank you. Even if they charge 25% more to do so.

I can accept however that people do have different priorities. If someone is poor, the money will matter more I suppose. There is no difference in health risk, only in how far ahead you will need to plan.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
If one store can deliver in 7 days and another only in 10 days, I'll take the faster delivery thank you. Even if they charge 25% more to do so.

I can accept however that people do have different priorities. If someone is poor, the money will matter more I suppose. There is no difference in health risk, only in how far ahead you will need to plan.
Yup, just planning ahead in case I can't (or don't want to) go to the store in the future. Also, I'll be able to take the cheaper route because I planned ahead. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yup, just planning ahead in case I can't (or don't want to) go to the store in the future. Also, I'll be able to take the cheaper route because I planned ahead. :)
I tried Walmart and grocery gateway today. One is booked Solid for four days and doesn’t show any further dates.....the other has an opening apr 15. instacart also saying “no shoppers available”.

are others facing the same?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
And so it begins.......my parents live in a major city and both are immune-comprimised. im about 90 mins away in isolation. A friend shopped for them and delivered the goods. I’ve tried to order ahead and get their next shop delivered. Apr 15 is the next time slot open. Trust me....when people start to feel they have no options, fear takes over, and they will go out and get their food. i appreciate the thoughts about changing our thinking.....it’s not as easy as it appears to be. The “plan ahead” mantra makes it difficult When last week, you could get food delivered in 2 days, now it’s taking almost 3 weeks. People WILL go out to buy their groceries......how do we make it safer? Alphabetical assignment for shopping days? Restrict # entrants? Dedicated senior days? Just ideas....

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The supermarkets are ramping up their number of delivery drivers and in-store shoppers for pick up orders. Give them time.

One of the problems is the speed at which everything is having to try and change. Demand is simply increasing faster than supply can be put in place. But they will catch up over time, just as the supply of masks, ventilators, etc. will catch up if we can keep the speed of the spread down as much as possible.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
agreed. But it will take longer then people have the patience for. I’m surprised at the masks and ventilators shortage. All experts agreed a pandemic was inevitable. It seems the world was still caught off guard a bit. And when this over, the isolationists are gonna have a field day. They will argue that “essential” items need to be manufactured at home. No sense having masks made overseas. They will say We need to take care of “our own”.

The supermarkets are ramping up their number of delivery drivers and in-store shoppers for pick up orders. Give them time.

One of the problems is the speed at which everything is having to try and change. Demand is simply increasing faster than supply can be put in place. But they will catch up over time, just as the supply of masks, ventilators, etc. will catch up if we can keep the speed of the spread down as much as possible.
[/QUOTE

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
People WILL go out to buy their groceries......how do we make it safer? Alphabetical assignment for shopping days? Restrict # entrants? Dedicated senior days? Just ideas....
Some stores are already limiting the number going in. Many stores here have the first hour (7-8am) dedicated (not sure how they enforce this?) to those at high risk.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
And so it begins.......my parents live in a major city and both are immune-comprimised. im about 90 mins away in isolation. A friend shopped for them and delivered the goods. I’ve tried to order ahead and get their next shop delivered. Apr 15 is the next time slot open. Trust me....when people start to feel they have no options, fear takes over, and they will go out and get their food. i appreciate the thoughts about changing our thinking.....it’s not as easy as it appears to be. The “plan ahead” mantra makes it difficult When last week, you could get food delivered in 2 days, now it’s taking almost 3 weeks. People WILL go out to buy their groceries......how do we make it safer? Alphabetical assignment for shopping days? Restrict # entrants? Dedicated senior days? Just ideas....
I can appreciate your concern for your parents Money172375 but I have to ask, when did their friend shop for them and how many weeks of supplies did they stock up on then? Your date of April 15 is 3 weeks from now. Do they not have enough food to eat for 3 weeks? If not, can the friend not shop for them one more time?

IF the supermarkets cannot ramp up delivery and pick-up fast enough over the coming month or so, then there may well be some system put in place to prioritize the more vulnerable. That step will likely come from our government if necessary I think.

One thing your parents could do if they are running short of supplies is order meals delivered. Some restaurants in major cities are saying that while people are going to places like Timmy's or MickeyD's for pick-up or deliveries, they are not ordering from the independent restaurants that they used to go to to eat on a Friday night or whatever. Ask your parents to try ordering a meal delivery from a nearby restaurant and see how that works out. Meal delivery obviously is not 3 weeks from now. Supplementing their supplies with meal deliveries a couple of times a week may take care of the problem till your April 15 delivery slot.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Some stores are already limiting the number going in. Many stores here have the first hour (7-8am) dedicated (not sure how they enforce this?) to those at high risk.
I bet the fisherman out there are excited for the lakes to melt! Daily limit of 25 perch where I am!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I can appreciate your concern for your parents Money172375 but I have to ask, when did their friend shop for them and how many weeks of supplies did they stock up on then? Your date of April 15 is 3 weeks from now. Do they not have enough food to eat for 3 weeks? If not, can the friend not shop for them one more time?

IF the supermarkets cannot ramp up delivery and pick-up fast enough over the coming month or so, then there may well be some system put in place to prioritize the more vulnerable. That step will likely come from our government if necessary I think.

One thing your parents could do if they are running short of supplies is order meals delivered. Some restaurants in major cities are saying that while people are going to places like Timmy's or MickeyD's for pick-up or deliveries, they are not ordering from the independent restaurants that they used to go to to eat on a Friday night or whatever. Ask your parents to try ordering a meal delivery from a nearby restaurant and see how that works out. Meal delivery obviously is not 3 weeks from now. Supplementing their supplies with meal deliveries a couple of times a week may take care of the problem till your April 15 delivery slot.
they had groceries delivered last week when time slots were 2 days out. Who would have guessed last week, that we would be facing a 3 week delay now. Who can say it won’t be 5 weeks next week? I’m sure they are okay for a month, but would need to start rationing in the the latter parts. I’ll recommend the restaurant delivery.....thank you. I think you may be slightly over confident in industry’s ability to switch to delivery vs in-store. I would have thought the same a few weeks ago.....but I haven’t seen disinfectant spray, wipes, toilet paper or sanitizing gel for 3 weeks. Apparently the only way to get TP is to wait outside a retailer before they open to try and grab their limited stock.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts

Keeping in mind I haven't received this order yet, the PC Express Delivery site shows me:

$8 delivery fee. Would be a bit lower if I had a larger order, possibly.
$2 service fee
$6 tip (my choice)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
One of the issues is density Money172375. The problems are all greater in cities than in small towns. Our local Foodland is still providing same day delivery including toilet paper for those who want it.

Again, I will say it will take time for supermarkets to catch up with demand, both for specific products and for delivery.

Consider all the people who are currently and suddenly out of work due to the closing of all 'non-essential' businesses. While they can apply for EI etc. and get some relief there, it alone will not necessarily be enough. I would imagine quite a few of them would be willing to take on a side job delivering groceries. I imagine many of them are already looking for side jobs to help tide them over through this current situation and until things go back to 'normal.'

The real issue I see slowing that down is insurance. You need to change your insurance (and pay more) if you take on a delivery job using your own car. Social distancing means delivery drivers are in demand. Do they have proper coverage?

I suspect some will ignore the problem of their insurance and I also suspect if it becomes necessary, the government may ask insurers to forego increases or compensate them for doing so. Again, it is the SPEED at which this is all happening and it just isn't possible to know beforehand what changes will need to be made. As Trudeau keeps saying, 'nothing is off the table'. This may be one fo those things that will go on the table.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I'm concerned about this method of ordering so far ahead. I placed my order Monday for delivery Saturday. When I look at the site now, it shows that only 2 of my 8 chosen items are in stock. So nearly everything I chose is currently OUT of stock.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Keeping in mind I haven't received this order yet, the PC Express Delivery site shows me:

$8 delivery fee. Would be a bit lower if I had a larger order, possibly.
$2 service fee
$6 tip (my choice)
If you don't mind me asking, how much was your grocery order before the fees?
Also, was that $2 what they state as a "busy fee"?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much was your grocery order before the fees?
Also, was that $2 what they state as a "busy fee"?
The size of the order was $25 so pretty small. I think I saw somewhere that the fees drop when ordering more than $35.

The only description I see for the $2 is "Service Fee".

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'm concerned about this method of ordering so far ahead. I placed my order Monday for delivery Saturday. When I look at the site now, it shows that only 2 of my 8 chosen items are in stock. So nearly everything I chose is currently OUT of stock.
EIGHT items? You are asking to take up a delivery slot for 8 items? Please list your 8 items james4beach. Clearly, you are not putting in an order for 2-3 weeks of groceries. If your 8 items were regular grocery items, they could substitute unless you insisted on 'it's this or nothing'. I suspect that if you list your 8 items for us to see, they will be items KNOWN to be in short supply like toilet paper and disinfectant sprays,etc. I really would like to see a list of your 8 items james4beach.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
One way we can all HELP in the current situation is to not continue to shop as we did in the past. I wouldn't dream of asking my supermarket to take up a delivery slot just to bring me milk, bread, eggs and a few vegetables. Something I would have walked in and picked up in the past. I will only ask them to deliver a full list of groceries to last us a couple of weeks at a time.

That provides maximum efficiency for each delivery slot. Right now, the delivery slots are a valuable commodity, not to be wasted on small orders of a few items at a time. Change your thinking.

41 - 60 of 147 Posts