Canadian Money Forum banner

421 - 440 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
My superstore is now offering Thu pickups (3 days out). Loblaws has a slot for late tonight otherwise tomorrow afternoon. Impressed that they are catching up. Or maybe people are becoming less concerned and are doing more of their own shopping.
I think this is definitely the case. We don’t go out much. Just for groceries, medication and some curb-side pick up. Ventured into Home Depot today for some mulch. We thought we could remain outdoors and pick up and pay directly from the outdoor garden centre. They made us go inside, pay, then return to the outdoor garden centre for pick up. Way to go HD!
in any event, it was my first time in a store without a mask or gloves.

Neighbours I talk to on walks say they’ve had enough. They’ll take their chances going out vs delivery and curb side.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
What do Canadian Tire sell that everyone wants ?

The next $2000 per person CERB goes out this week, so it will probably get busy again.
In our area, everyone was trying to get all of the stuff for their gardens, home repairs, outdoor equipment. We waited as long as we could, but had a large list of house items that I have needed replacement since this started.

I don't like those close walkers. They know they are bugging you but they drift closer and closer. Should carry bear spray.......
Bear spray is a bad idea. In my city, if released in a store, it's considered a weapon. I have a hockey stick in my car. I told the guys who were right on my @$$ that 6 feet is a length of a hockey stick, and I could get mine to show them. I couldn't bring it in the store though. I have debated bringing in a retractable Light Sabre. I have a pretty cool one but it doesn't retract so is hard to bring shopping.

Close walkers really bother me, well, anyone who doesn't give me my proper social distance. I do say something (usually quite politely) that they are in my space. Most just aren't aware of their actions.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The 10 Kg pallet had about three rows while the 20 Kg pallet had about seven rows full.

In this case, the bag was not generic - instead of "Robin Hood" it was a different brand.

I heard that packing was the issue as well. These ones were the usual paper bag.

Cheers
Costco normally doesn't sell Robin hood, but I didn't notice that it was different bag than normal. I didn't have room for the 20 kg, so didn't get it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Costco flour in Calgary is, I believe, a local product from Alberta. Never seen the national brands. DW likes it because it is locally milled, bagged, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sure you'd get much better delivery times if you can find smaller-scale local delivery companies that are still seeking customers. Big grocery delivery companies are likely backed up with orders for a while

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
I ordered Chinese food from a friend who owns the restaurant.

When I went to her website, it took me directly to a third party delivery service, with a menu and prices.

I called her on the phone and made my order. When I picked it up I asked her why her website directed to the delivery app.

She said that is the way they had to do it, because they couldn't find any drivers. They have cut hours because they can't find kitchen help.

She told me the delivery app charges her 15% of every order plus jack up the menu prices by 10%. She gets nothing......just pays.

So if I hadn't called and ordered online our $60 order would have cost $69 plus a $5 delivery charge (plus any tip you want to give).

The restaurant would have received $51 from me paying $74 plus any tip. What a ripoff........but she says it is all she can do to stay open.

While I was standing there........3 online orders came in. She says that is pretty much all they get now.

I looked online for "delivery jobs" and where they were usually maybe a dozen jobs posted, there are now hundreds.

Crazy the way everything has turned upside down. Low paid workers are now the most sought after......drivers, nursing homes etc.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
The other day I drove by a No Frills. Long line up stretching down one side of parking lot before turning to store entrance. Good social distancing being practiced. Just wondered how long it would have taken me to get into store if I had joined the Queue. We are still getting free next day delivery from our smaller grocer so line-ups not an issue for us yet.
Same thing with Home Depot. LLLong Line-ups. Not doing that. On-line it took 3 days before we got the email for pickup. Instead, we have been calling order to small town Home Hardware near us. They check stock and if they have what we need, we pick up same day at any time. Otherwise they order in and we pick up in 3-7 days.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
We have ordered some things online and got a delivery date and nothing shows up. Days later it gets left on the porch.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts

When I went to her website, it took me directly to a third party delivery service, with a menu and prices.

I called her on the phone and made my order. When I picked it up I asked her why her website directed to the delivery app.

She said that is the way they had to do it, because they couldn't find any drivers. They have cut hours because they can't find kitchen help.

She told me the delivery app charges her 15% of every order plus jack up the menu prices by 10%. She gets nothing......just pays.

So if I hadn't called and ordered online our $60 order would have cost $69 plus a $5 delivery charge (plus any tip you want to give).

The restaurant would have received $51 from me paying $74 plus any tip. What a ripoff........but she says it is all she can do to stay open.

While I was standing there........3 online orders came in. She says that is pretty much all they get now.

I looked online for "delivery jobs" and where they were usually maybe a dozen jobs posted, there are now hundreds.

Crazy the way everything has turned upside down. Low paid workers are now the most sought after......drivers, nursing homes etc.
Definitely call the restaurant or store directly. The amount the 3rd parties are charging is very high. I have found most of my favorite restaurants are small mom & pop shops and they don't have drivers. I don't like going into the restaurant, but am willing to drive there. I have had them do curbside for me.

Side comment for the on-line groceries - a lot of the big box grocery chains now have same day pick up. Unfortunately, as more stores are opening up, they are no longer offering curbside. so I have run inside.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts

Why is that a rip off? Do you not assign a cost to delivery. Wages for delivery people have increased. How do you expect someone to operate a delivery service without covering their costs? And you do have a choice...which you made and saved yourself some money.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
Why is that a rip off? Do you not assign a cost to delivery. Wages for delivery people have increased. How do you expect someone to operate a delivery service without covering their costs? And you do have a choice...which you made and saved yourself some money.
I think the point is that they are charging a lot for it. The drivers don't seem to get it. I think a lot of it is to fund customer acquisition (incentives to join the service), which is why despite high fees, Uber is still hemorrhaging cash. Kind of a Ponzi scheme, really, but funded by VC capital and restaurants subsidizing it as a defensive measure.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
If the situation remains for a long time, the restaurants will probably raise their prices to pay the cost and then all customers get to share the cost together.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
People have a choice. Both the business and the customers. I have no idea if the amount is reasonable nor do I know the cost of running a business like that.

The customer has four choices. Pick it up themselves. Use their delivery service. Prepay and have the order sent over in a cab/pay the cab fare on arrival. Or simply decide not to order. I do not see why it could be described as similar to a ponzi scheme. BTW, some restaurants in the US are already adding a percentage add on to bill, tagged as a covid fee, for those who dine in. No idea if it any are doing the same to pickup or delivery.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The issue ian is not that a delivery service makes some money for making the delivery, it is how MUCH they are making compared to the restaurant. There is no question that some delivery services have jacked up the prices to the consumer because of Covid.

Some people who used home delivery of restaurant meals before Covid have been complaining that prices have been jacked up but they are wrongly blaming the restaurants rather than the delivery companies. Its as sags wrote, "She told me the delivery app charges her 15% of every order plus jack up the menu prices by 10%. She gets nothing......just pays." That increase in menu price is blamed on the restaurants when in fact they do not control those menu prices.

It also seems to be a fact that it is not the DRIVER that is being paid more, it is the delivery company who is making more.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Either way, both parties have a choice. If the fee is too steep for either, then decline. Eventually some other offer will come into the market on both sides of the equation.

When we order pizza we pick it up. The surcharges and delivery cost is too high for us relative to the price of the order and it is not inconvenient for us to do so. My point is that we made the choice. If we could not pick it up then we would have to weigh the merits of getting it delivered. Not as though it is a necessity.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Either way, both parties have a choice. If the fee is too steep, hidden or seperate, for either, then decline. Eventually some other offer will come into the market on both sides of the equation. When we order pizza we pick it up. The surcharges and delivery cost is too high for us relative to the price of the order. My point is that I made the choice.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
It could become like CC charges. People not using the delivery service end up cross-subsidizing the people who do.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
It could become like CC charges. People not using the delivery service end up cross-subsidizing the people who do.
Yes I think so andrewf. The restaurant has to increase their price to cover what they have to pay the delivery company. They can't have one price with delivery and one without even though I am sure that is what a lot of people think happens.

It's like 'Customer Loyalty Programs'. If you buy from us you get 'points' or 'air miles', etc. In fact, the cost to the company of those programs is included in the selling price of every item. So those customers who do not join their loyalty programs then in fact subsidize those who do since they pay the inflated price just as those who join the programs do. I wish they would make all those loyalty programs illegal.

The only way to avoid this same kind of scenario is if the delivery companies charged the restaurant ZERO and only the consumer paid for the delivery but that is not how they operate, they charge both the consumer and the restaurant.

421 - 440 of 444 Posts