Canadian Money Forum banner

401 - 420 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I went to Home Hardware and the local lumberyard
~5 min wait at Home Hardware, no wait at the lumberyard.

I'm glad they're opening up and easing the restrictions. The less impactful, the more likely we'll have compliance.

Unfortunately, we're going to get another spike, if my neighbourhood is any indication, a LOT of people are doing mothersday visits.
Home Depot had a lineup yesterday (they opened at 9:00) but we got in as soon as the doors opened. I wanted to buy some PT lumber for a deck build but there were already 4 people waiting at the stack I needed so we just got the other things we needed and left.

We went to Superstore right after HD and there was no lineup to get in and no line at the till.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Home Depot had a lineup yesterday (they opened at 9:00) but we got in as soon as the doors opened. I wanted to buy some PT lumber for a deck build but there were already 4 people waiting at the stack I needed so we just got the other things we needed and left.

We went to Superstore right after HD and there was no lineup to get in and no line at the till.
I think people, at least in this area, feel the store restrictions aren't too onerous, and they're complying.

But we'll see about mothers day, it looks like neighbourhood social interactions are climbing dramatically.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
We went to Costco today, 5 minute lineup to get in. The normal sale items were on sale and there was plenty of meat, fruit, and veggies. They even had toilet paper.
Went yesterday .... walked straight in at about 3pm.

List of what wasn't available was about three things with lysol wipes and gloves sticking in my mind.

There was a whole aisle of pallets of paper products (ex. TP, paper towels etc.). There were two pallets of flour, one a 10 kg bag and the other a 20 kg bag from a vendor I didn't recognise. It's the first time in three trips that I've seen flour (wasn't looking for it prior to that).

Edit:
I'm not baking a lot so the first couple of trips to Costco or grocery stores, I wasn't paying attention to flour availability. I had a neighbour request I pickup some so that why on the last three trips I have been on the lookout.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
There were two pallets of flour, one a 10 kg bag and the other a 20 kg bag from a vendor I didn't recognise. It's the first time in three trips that I've seen flour (wasn't looking for it prior to that).
Our local supermarket still delivers. We email order in. For weeks, we have had flour on list, but it has not been available. Then last week, they delivered a 10kg bag! Not knowing this, one of my family found some in Toronto and has shipped it to us. We will soon have way more flour than we can use. Thinking about Papier Mache crafts ;)

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Went yesterday .... walked straight in at about 3pm.

List of what wasn't available was about three things with lysol wipes and gloves sticking in my mind.

There was a whole aisle of pallets of paper products (ex. TP, paper towels etc.). There were two pallets of flour, one a 10 kg bag and the other a 20 kg bag from a vendor I didn't recognise. It's the first time in three trips that I've seen flour (wasn't looking for it prior to that).

Cheers
Ours would sold out on the 10Kg, but still had the 20kg. I heard that some flour manufacturers have gone to a more 'generic' packaging in order to keep up with demand. Apparently they could get the product out but the packaging was causing the issue.

I keep pretty tight tabs on what's available or short in demand in my area:
Constant shortages (if you think you need it in the month or so, but if you see it):
  • Yeast, Lysol wipes, gloves, rubbing alcohol, and hand sanitizer
  • Hair clippers
Limited quantities (you will probably find it but it may require a few trips to find it or you have to substitute):
  • Flour - they generally have it, but the type or size may be not exactly what you are looking for
  • Meat - certain cuts of beef, pork, and chicken are not available, but you generally can find that meat, just not in the format you want. Also, prices have gone up about 20% over the last couple of weeks that are not due to seasonal changes
  • Powdered milk - no idea why this is so hard to find, if they are making less of it, or people keep buying it.
Good news that TP, paper products, bidets, hand soap, and almost all other food products seem back to normal.
Right now, we are trying to buy items that there seems to be a surplus to do our part in helping farmers. The big on is potatoes. We are having potato week. For the first time that I can remember, I found Kennebec potatoes at Costco. These are usually supplied to restaurants and food manufacturers (mccains) and are considered more 'specialty' in my area. I used to order them from a farmer in my area to make our fish and chips. I was so happy to find them now, but most people would just think they are a regular white potato. That's our goal is to try and help sustain our farmers the best we can.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Our local supermarket still delivers. We email order in. For weeks, we have had flour on list, but it has not been available. Then last week, they delivered a 10kg bag! Not knowing this, one of my family found some in Toronto and has shipped it to us. We will soon have way more flour than we can use. Thinking about Papier Mache crafts ;)
You could make sour dough starter, you have to keep feeding that thing, but it will use up the flour a little faster.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Just another update from my adventures. I think I have figured out my 'system' for shopping. I am on a tri-weekly cycle where I do most of my outings in one week, then try to got contactless for everyone for two in order to safely help my elderly parents.

Went to Costco last week. There was less of a line up after work. It seems that the biggest line ups are on weekends and first thing in the morning. Ironically, during the seniors hours. I would say only go then if you are waiting for one of the hard to find items. However, last thing before closing, it seems the store is working hard to restock. I already commented about availability of items in an above post.

On line ordering seems to have caught up to demand better. I am not sure if it's because they have more people doing it or they getting faster, or because more people are going out. Instead of 13 days out or no spots at all. I can easier find spots. For my smaller store, spots are still available for the next day, and for Superstore about 5-7 days out, not including weekends. This is making it a lot easier for me to plan out my cycles. I keep an on-line cart up to date for both stores starting with my base grocery list, and update as I am going along. I set my order for Monday or Tuesday so I can have time to change any of the flyer items in time. I am getting very good at specifying what kind substitutions are okay.

Now that I can still shop the flyers, I am not paying the 30% premium on regular food items which is closer to my grocery shopping habits. Meat and produce is still a little hit and miss in terms of quality, but even when this is over I may permanently use online shopping for my orders. It saves me almost 2 hours each major trip.

Too bad the Canadian Tire isn't the same. They were almost 1200 order behind last week.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
What do Canadian Tire sell that everyone wants ?

The next $2000 per person CERB goes out this week, so it will probably get busy again.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
What do Canadian Tire sell that everyone wants ?
With time on their hands, people probably shop on-line instead of going into the store. CT is always busy, so even if on-line was only 10%, their system might get overloaded. I had quite a hassle getting them to transfer my CT reards account to the new Triangle rewards. Still can't log in, but rewards do work in store.

I had same problem with Shoppers and eventually gave up. Usually go to Guardian anyway.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
what major pharmacies deliver to home? I bypassed the line today at walmart for a prescription pickup. They are supposed to bring it out to you but their machine was broken.

I was surrounded by a bunch of “close-walkers”.....not to be confused with “close-talkers”.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
I don't like those close walkers. They know they are bugging you but they drift closer and closer. Should carry bear spray.......

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
I don't like those close walkers. They know they are bugging you but they drift closer and closer. Should carry bear spray.......
the guy behind me coughed into his hand....I know we’re all learning, but I really don’t like going out. My wife has done all the shopping......I just feel unease.....like at any moment the store will turn into the grocery/pharmacy scene in “war of the worlds” with Tom cruise.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
I watched the news and the kids going into the school in Quebec. Only 28 kids out of almost 200 showed up.

A dad walks up with his kid. He isn't wearing a mask. He walks the kid right up to the door.

And now we have our own Premier Doug Ford having 6 members of his family over for dinner on the weekend.

And they are issuing fines to people for playing basketball ?

The question was put to the Chief Medical Officer. He stumbled through a reply that he had his own family visit......but they stood on the lawn.

Sure they did.......in the cold and wet.

Point is that people don't take it seriously until it affects them. I can see a second wave bigger than the first one coming.

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
Bear spray would cause them to tear, sneeze and likely cough ... not a good idea is it?

Maybe carry a supersoaker filled with purell? :)

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
My superstore is now offering Thu pickups (3 days out). Loblaws has a slot for late tonight otherwise tomorrow afternoon. Impressed that they are catching up. Or maybe people are becoming less concerned and are doing more of their own shopping.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Ours would sold out on the 10Kg, but still had the 20kg ...
The 10 Kg pallet had about three rows while the 20 Kg pallet had about seven rows full.

... I heard that some flour manufacturers have gone to a more 'generic' packaging in order to keep up with demand. Apparently they could get the product out but the packaging was causing the issue ...
In this case, the bag was not generic - instead of "Robin Hood" it was a different brand.

I heard that packing was the issue as well. These ones were the usual paper bag.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
My wife told me they had a staff meeting at the retirement home today.

Management is concerned that all the precautions they take will be useless if restrictions are relaxed and their employees get sick and infect the home.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
what major pharmacies deliver to home?
I'm sure I've seen home delivery advertised in Shoppers
Drug Mart. This article says over the counter only via InstaCart. Shoppers Drug Mart launches home delivery | Canadian Grocer

Rexall seems to have setup a separate web site. Though the new one built has a drive through pickup window.

Costco pharmacy delivers as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The 10 Kg pallet had about three rows while the 20 Kg pallet had about seven rows full.

In this case, the bag was not generic - instead of "Robin Hood" it was a different brand.

I heard that packing was the issue as well. These ones were the usual paper bag.

Cheers
Robin Hood ran out of bags. They had plenty of flour. Apparently stores in Western Canada are getting the more generic white bag instead of the iconic yellow w/ an image of Robin Hood. Been to Costo twice in the last four weeks. They had plenty of 10kg bags on the usual shelving an on pallets placed at the end bunks each time. Our friend's daugher works for Cargill-Horizon in the US (they own Robin Hood). They have the same issue in the US with some of their flour brands. Lots of product....shortage of bags because of increased demand.

401 - 420 of 444 Posts