Canadian Money Forum banner

381 - 400 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
One thing I like about the new software is that it removes any trace of the poster being blocked. Much better than the old software.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Interesting idea. I think mine are a little young to be exposed to the full idiocy of social media. And I'd have to teach them about normal distributions ;-) But I like the idea, at least in theory.

I don't usually block anyone either but I do make an exception on this forum for one person with a signal to noise ratio worse than the advertisements.
LOL... having been tested for giftedness, they know a lot about normal distributions and percentiles. Its a little nerdy listening to some of the discussion with their classmates who are all also above the normal distribution.

I have debated about blocking a couple of people here, but it leads to interesting discussions about censorship, tunnel visions, and bias. We concluded we should at least no completely block someone as there may be something that provokes further though even if the poster is generally useless.

I have found using forums very helpful in introducing parts of social media. It's good way to carefully expose my kids to general idiocy (of not just social media). Its also very helpful if I time it right, that the kids see that there is a human responding on the other side, and gives them a different perspective. I also like taking posts that show a particular idea I am trying to show my kids so it seems less theoretical for them. It's also shown them that its often futile to reason with some, and to just move on. That's been most helpful in trying to show them signs where the person is just doing it to argue and show they are right.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Update on the real thread: On line groceries

So I did my first click and collect at my No Frills today. I selected the time late last week, so the lead time wasn't too bad (about 5 days), then I was still able to make updates for 2.5 days in advance, in which it closed.

I received an email this morning saying there were delays and to wait to hear before going. Then I received an email saying there were some substitutions, but no indication on what it was, and the standard form on the same email said there are no substitutions. About 2 hours before my original scheduled pick up time, I received an email saying the order was ready to pick up at any time, and voice mail was left. I called the store for instructions and they said I could come anytime. So they were ahead of time.

When I arrived at the store, this branch has a strange set up (small store with strange street parking), so I still had to go into the store, but waiting in line to get in. There was only one person in front so less than 5 mins. Then I went to the 'self serve' area. They didn't ask for my id, just helped me look for my name. I found a cart with all the pantry items in plastic bags in the cart already. Then I needed to go to one of the fridges, which it had all of the fridge items together, then finally, the freezer. In each of the 3 sections, it's listed how many bags I had so 1 out 13. I asked for my receipt and the person said it was somewhere, but I couldn't tell where until I unpacked. I wasn't able to cross reference until I unpacked which was a negative. I had my own large bags in the trunk of my car, so transferred organized and sanitized some of the items while putting it in my trunk.

We I compared the receipt, the items, and order I found the following (YMMV):
  • almost all items were there, there were a couple areas missing, but this was my test so not the end of the world if it was gone
  • I intentionally order different combinations of sale items to see what the limits are as the last time I went the store was allow only two per item CATEGORY. So if I wanted 4 cans of pasta sauce of different variety, I could only get two. This time, I order 3 cans of each of the 4 flavors, and I got 5 can of 1, 3 cans of 2, and 1 can of 1. No idea how the figured out what.
  • In other cases, I order 4 of something and got 2 or 2 different kinds.
  • What can I say? It was pretty close. I seemed to get the right quantity of items 12 cans of sauce, but the flavours were 'off'. Ordered sour cream and onion chips, got sour cream and cheddar.
My original bill was supposed to be $106, and this bill came to $110.

My take away is they seemed pretty good for getting the main items, but don't be very picky if they are tad off on order if there are specific varieties.

I will have another update for my part 2 of the order at Superstore this week which is triple the size. So we will see how that one goes.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
This comment is about food delivery but not 'grocery delivery.'

Apparently, restaurants in Toronto (and presumably elsewhere as well) are not happy with Uber Eats. Restaurants offering delivery using them and other services are paying a high percentage to them in commission. In the case of Uber Eats, 30% of what the consumer pays goes to Uber.

While other delivery services like Skip the Dishes and Door Dash have reduced their fees during the current situation, Uber Eats has not. John Tory, Mayor of Toronto, said he phoned the CEO of Uber Eats in person and got no encouragement at all.

Some Toronto restaurants are now boycotting Uber Eats and accepting orders only for the other delivery services and asking their customers to do the same.

Sounds to me like Uber Eats is showing no community spirit at all and deserves to be boycotted. People who are trying to support their local restaurants by ordering meals to be delivered may not be aware of this situation.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This comment is about food delivery but not 'grocery delivery.'

Apparently, restaurants in Toronto (and presumably elsewhere as well) are not happy with Uber Eats. Restaurants offering delivery using them and other services are paying a high percentage to them in commission. In the case of Uber Eats, 30% of what the consumer pays goes to Uber.

While other delivery services like Skip the Dishes and Door Dash have reduced their fees during the current situation, Uber Eats has not. John Tory, Mayor of Toronto, said he phoned the CEO of Uber Eats in person and got no encouragement at all.

Some Toronto restaurants are now boycotting Uber Eats and accepting orders only for the other delivery services and asking their customers to do the same.

Sounds to me like Uber Eats is showing no community spirit at all and deserves to be boycotted. People who are trying to support their local restaurants by ordering meals to be delivered may not be aware of this situation.

I’ve found that some restaurants have also either increased the prices of their menu items when ordering thru Doordash/Skip the dishes app, or package and price their menu items differently vs pick-up.

I can’t blame the restaurants, they obviously need to make a profit. Consumers just need to be aware of the premium they are paying (in the two restaurants I’ve ordered from, 20%-50% more), and decide if it’s worth it to them.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
It is entirely reasonable to pay more for delivery than pickup food. Consumers are obviously okay with it given the popularity of meal delivery apps (and before that, pizza, etc. delivery). They just need to be lied to about the true cost to feel okay with it in the moment. There is a service charge of 10% or so, and then the actual menu prices are about 20% higher. It's a similar situation as with Instacart for grocery delivery. I saw a news story about a family that was shocked (!) that Instacart was charging higher than in-store prices for a delivery of such essentials as ice cream from shoppers drug mart.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I haven't bothered to check the grocery delivery time lines recently. I'm still able to walk directly into most grocery stores and the local Costco. I picked up a package of TP on the weekend. The one item on my list that wasn't available was flour.

The LCBO (i.e. liquor) and Beer stores have had lines just about anytime I check.

Non-grocery items have been delivered in a week or less. Only issue is that some web sites that split the order into separate shipments only give the last shipment's tracking number. Other web sites, as I'd expect, give individual tracking links for each shipment.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
... I can’t blame the restaurants, they obviously need to make a profit. Consumers just need to be aware of the premium they are paying (in the two restaurants I’ve ordered from, 20%-50% more), and decide if it’s worth it to them.
Haven't ordered yet ... but the one I am thinking about had the same menu price before and now.

IIRC ... my favourite platter might be up $1, where the web site has the same prices as the food delivery service. I'd have to find a pre-covid receipt to be sure of the price increase though. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The point regarding restaurant deliveries is NOT that it costs more, it is that Uber Eats is NOT making any effort as a good corporate citizen to minimize how much more it costs the RESTAURANT, while other delivery services ARE reducing their charges.

If part of someone's reason for ordering (besides eating the food) it to help support their local restaurants, then they need to know that Uber Eats is not also trying to help while other delivery services are trying to help. That should guide their choice of which delivery services to use and which to avoid.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
Yes, by all means people should switch. Uber has long had questionable business practices--rather fast and loose with ethics.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
The point regarding restaurant deliveries is NOT that it costs more, it is that Uber Eats is NOT making any effort as a good corporate citizen ...
And it triggered the post that I quoted and was responding to.

"When ordering thru Doordash/Skip the dishes app" menu items were priced differently with mention of increases of 20% to 50%. Maybe after I place an order there will be some sort of hidden fee that bumps up the prices but from the menu browsing, restaurant menu browsing and what I recall when calling in orders to pickup myself, the price seems about $1 different.

That seems substantially cheaper than what was mentioned .... which you seem to be happy to pay as your focus seems to be narrowly on Uber Eats behaviour.

... If part of someone's reason for ordering (besides eating the food) it to help support their local restaurants, then they need to know that Uber Eats is not also trying to help while other delivery services are trying to help. That should guide their choice of which delivery services to use and which to avoid.
So if Doordash/Skip the dishes have cut delivery fees where they have prices +20% through +50% more ... doesn't that seem strange to you?

What's your theory for why some restaurants have prices that don't seem to have changed much while mrbizi post indicates a substantial increase plus the drop in delivery fees?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
And it triggered the post that I quoted and was responding to.

"When ordering thru Doordash/Skip the dishes app" menu items were priced differently with mention of increases of 20% to 50%. Maybe after I place an order there will be some sort of hidden fee that bumps up the prices but from the menu browsing, restaurant menu browsing and what I recall when calling in orders to pickup myself, the price seems about $1 different.

That seems substantially cheaper than what was mentioned .... which you seem to be happy to pay as your focus seems to be narrowly on Uber Eats behaviour.

So if Doordash/Skip the dishes have cut delivery fees where they have prices +20% through +50% more ... doesn't that seem strange to you?

What's your theory for why some restaurants have prices that don't seem to have changed much while mrbizi post indicates a substantial increase plus the drop in delivery fees?

Cheers
I don't use any of them Eclectic12, so no horse in the race. I'm simply reporting what the restaurants are saying about the various delivery services.

Again, if someone is trying to support their local restaurant by ordering a meal delivered, I think they should know who their restaurant is telling them to use and not use based on the restaurants income ONLY.

I'm not interested in trying to analyze it all, only in reporting which results in the restaurant making more money. Your focus seems to be on which one results in the consumer paying more and/or the delivery service making more.

I understand what you are saying that one delivery service may be charging the consumer more than the other but that is a second transaction. The first transaction is between the restaurant and the delivery service and that is the ONLY transaction I am reporting on.

If Door Dash/Skip the dishes are charging the consumer more, that has NOTHING to do with how much of the total price the consumer pays is going to the restaurant. It is simply a question of whether you are trying to support your local restaurant or not and if you are, which service they are telling you gets them the most money. If that means you have to pay more to a delivery service for them to get more, then that's what it means.

Personally, I would use a curbside pick up rather than a delivery since it seems that is how the restaurant will make the most money of all and you don't have to get into the dilemma of 'yeah but if I use X delivery service, it costs me more.'

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
This pandemic is exposing the weakness in the assumption that ordering online and home delivery is destined to replace personal retail shopping.

Even those retailers and restaurants employing the best examples of online ordering and delivery are going bankrupt.

The loss of "impulse purchases" is a big loss of sales revenue for retailers.

Stores are laid out purposefully, so you have to travel through the store to get to the basics (milk, eggs, bread).

Those aisles lined with treats, and other products at the cashier checkouts are placed there for a reason.

They are high volume, high margin sales that earn a lot of money for the retailer.

When people shop online for a can opener, they look at a range of can openers and prices. Google conveniently lists them all together to view.

The sale often depends on the lowest price for the best quality. There is no need to travel from store to store checking out the best prices.

That means the retailers are always competing at the lowest prices for every product. Everything they want to sell becomes a "loss leader" item.

I don't think the shift from bricks and mortar stores is as certain and some previously thought it would be.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Again, if someone is trying to support their local restaurant by ordering a meal delivered, I think they should know who their restaurant is telling them to use and not use based on the restaurants income ONLY.

Personally, I would use a curbside pick up rather than a delivery since it seems that is how the restaurant will make the most money of all and you don't have to get into the dilemma of 'yeah but if I use X delivery service, it costs me more.'
^This. We have been trying to support our local restaurants. I was finally able to do a pick up at a couple of our favorite restaurants. One of them was offering 20% off any pick ups, and regular price with one of the third parties. I called and asked which one they would prefer. They said they still make more giving 20% off than using skip the dish. I went and did a curbside with them. I tipped them the 20% that we saved.

Another restaurant we frequent, said that I had to come in as their online system wasn't available (they are a very small mom and pop hole in the wall). When I called when I was outside, the owner told me to come on in as there was no one else in the restaurant. We chatted for a little while, he was saying that using any of the 3rd parties would kill him because of the margins. He has been relying on pick up only.

Right now, the best way to support the local restaurants is to call them directly and ask them which method they would prefer. In many cased it may mean a curbside or pick up, but it helps that much more. In both cases our orders were over $100, so I would rather have the restaurant get that in these times than a big 3 party.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Stores are laid out purposefully, so you have to travel through the store to get to the basics (milk, eggs, bread).

Those aisles lined with treats, and other products at the cashier checkouts are placed there for a reason.

They are high volume, high margin sales that earn a lot of money for the retailer.
Most stores are laid out so if you shop on the outside perimeter you will go past the staples. For example in Superstore walk in and go right to get to the fruit and veggies, then along the back wall for meat and cheese, then up the left wall for dairy and then towards the checkout which goes past the bakery items.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Went to Costco yesterday. 10 minute line outside BUT no line at the cash.

Got everything on my list included frozen corn. Lots of meats, fruits, veg. and everything else. No reason to hoard.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
We went to Costco today, 5 minute lineup to get in. The normal sale items were on sale and there was plenty of meat, fruit, and veggies. They even had toilet paper.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
We went to Costco today, 5 minute lineup to get in. The normal sale items were on sale and there was plenty of meat, fruit, and veggies. They even had toilet paper.
I went to Home Hardware and the local lumberyard
~5 min wait at Home Hardware, no wait at the lumberyard.

I'm glad they're opening up and easing the restrictions. The less impactful, the more likely we'll have compliance.

Unfortunately, we're going to get another spike, if my neighbourhood is any indication, a LOT of people are doing mothersday visits.

381 - 400 of 444 Posts