Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
what i'd like to see are scheduled community delivery days. Customers living in a particular district (collection of postal codes) would all get $1 off delivery fee if they would take delivery on, say, wednesday mornings.

i'm thinking of this for the improvement in air quality that would come from less vehicle traffic. It's crazy to think of so many small delivery vans all darting around & criss-crossing a city, all day long, every day.
amazon US does this now

if you select a slower delivery option you get $1 voucher towards digital services. renting a new movie for example is $5

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
No doubt available delivery times will be farther out than in the past but all that means is people should be thinking about placing their orders farther in advance. I've heard of Walmarts with a 10 day wait for delivery now. Our local Foodland is still same day delivery but even that may change.
Yes when he ordered last week he ordered double of what he usually does in case some slow down ,he does not drive and has been working for home already 2 weeks.We went to drop off stuff and doing his laundry here so he does not have to go down to the laundry room in his building ,did 11 loads this weekend so he has been piling it up a bit lol

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
No doubt available delivery times will be farther out than in the past but all that means is people should be thinking about placing their orders farther in advance. I've heard of Walmarts with a 10 day wait for delivery now. Our local Foodland is still same day delivery but even that may change.
Walmart pickup is backlogged for about 4 days, PC at the NoFrills is still open, but they're working flat out in store.
I went to Costco, half empty, NoFrills was limiting to 100people, but the line outside the store is small.
Picked up my online order at ToysRus.

Quickest shopping weekend of my life! No crowds!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I did an online order from Loblaws in London Ont yesterday, same day delivery, it only took about an hour start to finish. Impressive!

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
I did an online order from Loblaws in London Ont yesterday, same day delivery, it only took about an hour start to finish. Impressive!
It uses Instacart, which is probably less backlogged than the in-store picking (using staff).

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
I wanted to try Loblaws online but the wife said nope. She is going in a couple of days.

She has an N95 mask and gloves, so she should be alright, but I wish she would give it a try.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I wanted to try Loblaws online but the wife said nope. She is going in a couple of days.

She has an N95 mask and gloves, so she should be alright, but I wish she would give it a try.
They had a deal for $30 off your first order over $100, we used that at the beginning of the month when we stocked up for COVID-19

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
actually i can see that the big grocer chains in canada are already sorting by postal code

in another thread i posted how shopping carts in some systems won't even start until customer has entered full address w postal code, at which moment he will be shown available time slots for delivery to his specific address.

i just posted in another thread how it's obvious that the big online grocer chains are aggregating deliveries for particular districts/zones/neighbourhoods within their overall delivery region, then loading trucks w deliveries for specific postal code zones each day.

it's a lot smarter than having millions of individual consumers drive out like maniacs every week w their grocery flyers, then drive every crazy which way all over the city to pick up special items on sale.

so far i've been ordering non-grocery items from walmart & couple other companies, haven't tried amazon yet. I've noticed that walmart *says* it's shipped (it also bills CC at that moment) but in fact i can see from tracking info that the parcel/box doesn't leave walmart warehouse for 2 to even 4 more days ...

light bulb !! ok now i see ... what is happening is that walmart aggregates orders by delivery postal code, only when it gets enough orders for one district/zone/neighbourhood does it then ship out to the carrier. Then but not before. IE walmart waits for enough neighbourhood orders to pile up that makes it economical to ship to door. Now is that smart or what.

i'm always choosing standard delivery, it's free. Express del is quite a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I put the pics on Photobucket, which I think might qualify as a third party public host, although maybe not, since there, one can choose a "private" setting. I posted links to Photobucket above (which are those appearing below as well). They will open just fine for me with Google Chrome. But I guess that's because they were put up with this Apple computer and maybe it is recognized somehow.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/Allnamesunavailable/The Retreat/.highres/DSCN0480.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/Allnamesunavailable/The Retreat/.highres/DSCN0482.jpg

ooh! Sah lay SHUSS!!

those links are opening fine

i've posted pictures to a 3rd party website but i always make sure to choose "public" because it's a photo hosting account that i only use for sharing pix to public

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Online shopping and delivery is reminiscent of the foregone days of the Eatons catalogue.
I remember growing up we had milk delivery to the door.

We would leave the old milk bottles on the porch with an order form in one of them (that we checked the boxes of the stuff we wanted) and the milkman would come around very early in the morning and fill the order and leave a new form to fill out for next time. They offered bread, eggs, milk and a few other things. Kinda like online shopping for groceries without computers.

ltr

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Houses used to have a little built in milk delivery door too. Same thing could have been used to prevent the parcel pirates

Now amazon can deliver inside your house/garage/car if you have smart locks

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
I remember growing up we had milk delivery to the door.

We would leave the old milk bottles on the porch with an order form in one of them (that we checked the boxes of the stuff we wanted) and the milkman would come around very early in the morning and fill the order and leave a new form to fill out for next time. They offered bread, eggs, milk and a few other things. Kinda like online shopping for groceries without computers.
We've come full circle in some ways ...
That milk delivery brings back memories, I had to google the drink they used to deliver called "Beep", no long made. :(

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Houses used to have a little built in milk delivery door too. Same thing could have been used to prevent the parcel pirates

Now amazon can deliver inside your house/garage/car if you have smart locks
All the houses in my neighborhood (50's neighborhood) still have the milk doors. They're all full of insulation now, but it shows how the builders adapted at the time to the needs of the people. With so many people getting parcels delivered to the door now with online shopping, hopefully they'll come up with some secure method that doesn't involve someone entering my garage or home.

ltr

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
All the houses in my neighborhood (50's neighborhood) still have the milk doors. They're all full of insulation now, but it shows how the builders adapted at the time to the needs of the people. With so many people getting parcels delivered to the door now with online shopping, hopefully they'll come up with some secure method that doesn't involve someone entering my garage or home.

ltr
Have you seen these? https://www.costco.ca/clevermade-parcel-lockbox.product.100535095.html

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
It uses Instacart, which is probably less backlogged than the in-store picking (using staff).
I am trying this out for the first time. I assume we're both talking about delivery.pcexpress.ca

I placed an order Monday, and they say it will be delivered Saturday. At times they were showing no delivery times available at all.

Question for people using this: do you find you're actually receiving the items you order? Or will they be out of stock at the time they do the shopping? My order detail currently says "Received" but is not yet In Progress. I wonder if these items will still be in stock when they fill this order 3 days from now.

(I'm in a 14 day self quarantine so I'm really hoping this order works)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I am trying this out for the first time. I assume we're both talking about delivery.pcexpress.ca

Question for people using this: do you find you're actually receiving the items you order? Or will they be out of stock at the time they do the shopping?
When you place the order they ask you to pick substitutes in case what you order is out of stock. I did that for all my items, but it turned out that none of them were out of stock.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts

I placed an order Monday, and they say it will be delivered Saturday. At times they were showing no delivery times available at all.
So can you post what the extra costs are with their delivery when you get it?

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
When I did it, it was an $8 delivery charge plus $2 tip to the driver. So $10 altogether.
I looked at it online, their website says ...
5% of your total order plus $3.99 for 2-hour delivery for orders over $35.
Plus they say there could be a "Busy fee" applied with no mention (until you do the checkout) of what it is ... weird.

21 - 40 of 147 Posts