Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What online grocers are you using? I tried grocery gateway and Walmart for my parents (I’m in isolation). They live in a large city. The earliest delivery window they had was in April.

Is this the turnaround time we are Experiencing now?

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
What online grocers are you using? I tried grocery gateway and Walmart for my parents (I’m in isolation). They live in a large city. The earliest delivery window they had was in April.

I have heard that the big players have a major shortage of delivery resources. Walmart is reportedly hiring tens of thousands across their operations to support these services. Until then, the best option would be to try Express Pickup whereby you shop on line, and when the order is ready, you get phoned, and you go to their store for the order to be loaded into your vehicle.

We have yet to try the PC Express pickup (Superstore) but the last time I was in the store, I saw at least 4 employees with carts gathering goods for Express pick up. For now though, we will still go to the store, maybe taking advantage of their '1 hour senior time' first thing in the morning in-store shopping. Just hate the thought of grocery shopping at 7am though.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
We came back from Mexico on Thursday. Our daughter placed an order for us early in the week for a Friday AM delivery. Arrived on Friday AM, and at the time they quoted. Left six bags on our porch. It came from Superstore Calgary.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts

You can try PC Express with Instacart delivery.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Can't speak to cities but our local small town Foodland has always taken telephone orders from Senior Citizens and delivered to their homes. They have now started to include anyone who is self-isolating, in that program. They charged seniors $3 in town, $5 farther out, along with a $40 minimum order. I don't know if those same numbers now apply but even if they do, they are no real issue.

Now is a time when we are seeing some advantages to small town living that were not obvious before.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
We called then emailed order to our local Foodland grocery. Owner delivered including frozen food within 1/2 hr. No delivery charge! Normally they charge $10.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Me too. Can't speak for cities, but out in off-grid land, some Campbell River stores will shop and deliver orders to the mail plane or WayWest Charters and, if a few people order together, delivery costs are cheap.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i guess the grocery delivery pattern is irregular across canada, is probably very localized

i've been ordering online for years from one tiny grocery "chain." It's only 3 local stores that barely qualify size-wise as supermarkets.

their 2 downtown stores are so small, cramped & crowded, with zero parking, that customers won't shop in the physical stores any more. Customers have switched to online instead, which this particular tiny chain runs out of their more spacious premises in far northern exurb Laval.

they're keeping up with online orders although working extra hard. The delay this past week was only 48 hours from order submission to delivery, although that time frame could have easily lengthened by now.

meanwhile, big online grocers like walmart & metro richelieu have 10 days wait time for delivery here.

what i'd like to see are scheduled community delivery days. Customers living in a particular district (collection of postal codes) would all get $1 off delivery fee if they would take delivery on, say, wednesday mornings.

i'm thinking of this for the improvement in air quality that would come from less vehicle traffic. It's crazy to think of so many small delivery vans all darting around & criss-crossing a city, all day long, every day.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The earliest delivery window they had was in April.

undoubtedly yes, for some big chains in some cities/districts.

one could get used to it, when you think abbouddit. Restaurants & other food-serving establishents - hospitals, shelters, university dorms & cafeterias - all operate on long-term plans w advance menu planning & ordering. Ten days is nothing.

it's only retail householders who still like to shop the specials while choosing their basic bread & butter by hand.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Here, if not in the mood for delivery, one can always procure one's own food.

DSCN0482.jpg DSCN0480.jpg

Oh, the hardships up with which one must put.

I expect Eder and others of the south seas sailing crowd must be similarly circumstanced. One can always catch a marlin or something. I have been places where flying fish will even help out by flying right into the boat.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here, if not in the mood for delivery, one can always procure one's own food.

View attachment 20036 View attachment 20038

Oh, the hardships up with which one must put.

I expect Eder and others of the south seas sailing crowd must be similarly circumstanced. One can always catch a marlin or something. I have been places where flying fish will even help out by flying right into the boat.

what salacious pix are you trying to post ^^ there? the message i get is that i do not have authorization to view this picture. Something about the moderator.

maybe jas4 is reverse parental editing the internet pix i am to be allowed to see

anyhow the flying fish that jumps ker-plop into the sailboat, begging to be fried as steaks in the galley ...

talk about instant grocery delivery

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Try "from URL" and then uncheck the "retrieve remote file and reference locally"

Or just put
tags around the URL

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I take it m3s that you are unable to open the attachments described as DSCN0482 etc.

i've never understood why cmffers don't post their images for all the public to see? why all this secrecy about having to be logged in?

to post for public view, one can either pick up the image addy from "source" or else transfer it from one's own device to a 3rd party public host like flickr, then download to cmf forum from flickr

the first method doesn't always work. The 2nd method always works but it's more trouble.

either way, the result is a gorgeous big full-colour picture which all can see, whether they are logged in as cmf members or not.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
My son lives in Toronto and uses Metro ,this week it took 4 days to get his delivery up from the normal 3 days turn around.I use Walmart or Amazon for many things but this week we called the local butcher and he allowed us to order over the phone and pay with Visa .He then asked what car we drive and they came out with the bag for us.We got the animal feed the same way this week.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think there has been an attachment problem ever since the site owners started their most recent software upgrades
That I think explains it. I have not encountered difficulty in the past.

to post for public view, one can either pick up the image addy from "source" or else transfer it from one's own device to a 3rd party public host like flickr, then download to cmf forum from flickr

the first method doesn't always work. The 2nd method always works but it's more trouble.
I put the pics on Photobucket, which I think might qualify as a third party public host, although maybe not, since there, one can choose a "private" setting. I posted links to Photobucket above (which are those appearing below as well). They will open just fine for me with Google Chrome. But I guess that's because they were put up with this Apple computer and maybe it is recognized somehow.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/Allnamesunavailable/The Retreat/.highres/DSCN0480.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/Allnamesunavailable/The Retreat/.highres/DSCN0482.jpg

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My son lives in Toronto and uses Metro ,this week it took 4 days to get his delivery up from the normal 3 days turn around.I use Walmart or Amazon for many things but this week we called the local butcher and he allowed us to order over the phone and pay with Visa .He then asked what car we drive and they came out with the bag for us.We got the animal feed the same way this week.
No doubt available delivery times will be farther out than in the past but all that means is people should be thinking about placing their orders farther in advance. I've heard of Walmarts with a 10 day wait for delivery now. Our local Foodland is still same day delivery but even that may change.

1 - 20 of 444 Posts