Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing a feature fore MORE magazine (www.more.ca) about how much financial information you should share on the Internet. I'm looking to interview women 40+ who have concerns about this issue, whether it's through online banking, investing, shopping, eBay, social networking, or anything else. Anyone out there who has been defrauded, hacked, etc.?

If anyone would be willing to share their story (anonymously), please drop me a line at [email protected].

Many thanks,
Dan
www.danbortolotti.com

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Hey Dan - I'm in your target market (woman over 40; I'm even a More subscriber) but I don't have concerns in this area.

Mostly because I am parsimonious with sharing actual financial info online (as opposed to, for example, descriptions of my financial situation - I'm talking specific details of my finances, like passwords...those I do not share anywhere) and because I watch my finances like. a. hawk.

However, I'd be happy to pass your request on to my peers, some of whom may well have concerns in this area...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm looking to interview women 40+ who have concerns about this issue, whether it's through online banking, investing, shopping, eBay, social networking, or anything else. Anyone out there who has been defrauded, hacked, etc.?
I'm guessing they're all paranoid and don't understand encryption? I haven't heard of anyone being defrauded when they log into a legitimate site with SSL

Then again maybe they can be easily tricked into logging into a fake site, but it's easily prevented by looking at the web address and SSL status

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I'm guessing they're all paranoid and don't understand encryption? I haven't heard of anyone being defrauded when they log into a legitimate site with SSL

Then again maybe they can be easily tricked into logging into a fake site, but it's easily prevented by looking at the web address and SSL status
I agree. My credit card has been compromised a couple of times. Both times, the data seemed to have been stolen from large companies: Winners and Radisson Hotels. No issues with security over the internet so far.

I suppose one should be wary of phishing attacks and never click on a link within an email even if it appears legitimate and instead type the URL directly in the browser.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Well...for better or for worse, I don't think this community is representative of the "average" 40+ woman (and uh, I don't think either of you quite fit the demographic, either...) :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts