Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, I never thought this sort of thing exists! I'm used to doing my calculations manually (or with the help of a scientific calculator).

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
One puzzle that should be mentioned is why, given that the basic rules of math are fixed... namely the rules of compound interest, inflation, and taxation... that there are as many answers to a simple financial planning scenario as there are online calculators and spread sheets available out there.

After all, a simple mortgage or annuity will be the same when run on several different financial calculators or a tax return crunched on a Quicktax or a Taxwiz will deliver the same T1. Why then shouldn't a simple question such as "I am X years old, earn $Y, plan to retire at age 60, have $Z saved in my RRSP. What should I be saving pre retirement, and drawing down post retirement in order to deliver me a constant aftertax lifestyle with my capital just running out on my 100th birthday?, deliver the same consistent answer?

Seven simple parameters (age now, at retirement and at death, salary and current savings. (coupled with inflation and investment rate)

Pop those 7 parameters into any spreadsheet or online calculator and be prepared to shake your head over the disparity in the answers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Fixed Broken Link

Get Smart About Money

Because of the JavaScript I cannot give the exact link but their "How much do my mutual funds really cost?" calculator is the best motivator for a Couch Potato low-cost set-up. Allows you to compare Mutual Fund and ETF fees against each other.

Lots of other handy calculators.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
http://firecalc.com/ is American and uses Monte Carlo simulation of historical market returns. Canadians will have to make a few adjustments in data input.

http://www.retirementoptimizer.com/ is Canadian, by Jim Otar, an engineer who has used math to throw cold water on simplistic assumptions about the distribution phase. You can use the calculator for free without bells and whistles, or order the customizable version for $100.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Currency Converter

I also happen to like this online currency converter:

XE Universal Currency Converter

It does currency exchange calculations for the top 85 currencies.

(And the rest of the site has a lot of good info too.)

·
Banned
76 Posts
For my research I often use percent change calculator to calculate increase or decrease in investment

compound interest calculator to calculate long term growth with beta slippage

Percentage of calcultor to calculate % of winning trades.

Average mean calculator to calculate average % gain or loss for a given method of trading

·
Banned
946 Posts
My RRSPs are all in GICs. I don't intend to convert them to a RRIF until I am required to in another couple of years, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a calculator that will take into account the minimum withdrawals and various interest rates that the GICs could earn. I would like to be able to figure out how long my RRIF will last at various interest rates once I start drawing on it. I'm aware that it will decrease in value as time goes by with the poor outlook for interests rates these days.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I also need some help finding a correct calculator -my situation is trying to figure out if I sell an asset now which will give me x value in cash and save me y value in monthly expenses what it will be worth in 10 years .I have used a compound interest calculator using x value as starting value and adding y value once a year but I would like to find one where I can add y value monthly.maybe somebody can post a excel formula ?I am horrible at excel lol

21 - 40 of 70 Posts