Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical of the response times from iTrade was a message I sent from through their "secure" Communication Center on April 21. Today (June 10) I received a reply, 7 weeks later (the answer was a template response saying they couldn't answer the question, so I should phone in). I say "typical" though in some cases it's worse - no reply ever.

Anyone else with better experiences at other online brokerages?

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I actually phoned TD Direct Investing last night, and got through to an agent in reasonable time. Maybe they have re-staffed their call centers, but it felt completely normal to me.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Some are not even taking Secure Messages. BMO IL says to phone in (not use their My Link communications methodology). The havoc covid-19 has wreaked on the various institutions no doubt varies from FI to FI but one would think they'd have developed new processes for the new normal.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Some are not even taking Secure Messages. BMO IL says to phone in (not use their My Link communications methodology). The havoc covid-19 has wreaked on the various institutions no doubt varies from FI to FI but one would think they'd have developed new processes for the new normal.
... where does it say on BMOIL's webpage to NOT use their MyLink other than the "Send" button is missing (or taken away)? Are they're scrxwing around with the MyLink ...

Or if clients are not to use it, then better yet dismantle it. And BMOIL clients can all flood-call in ... as if internal messages are currently responded "accurately" within standard Covid19-delay excuse time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Sorry, I should not have said My Link specifically without clarification. Here is their message on their home page, on the Send Message tab on My Link, and on their Contact Us screen......

"Please be advised that our Contact Centre continues to experience higher than normal call volumes. To address this situation, we’ve allocated our call centre resources to focus on answering calls and won’t be able to respond to MyLink messages. For urgent or trade related inquiries, please call us at 1-888-776-6886. Our revised hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET (Monday to Friday). We apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to use our digital platform for trading, money movement, and for general account access."

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Sorry, I should not have said My Link specifically without clarification. Here is their message on their home page, on the Send Message tab on My Link, and on their Contact Us screen......

"Please be advised that our Contact Centre continues to experience higher than normal call volumes. To address this situation, we’ve allocated our call centre resources to focus on answering calls and won’t be able to respond to MyLink messages. For urgent or trade related inquiries, please call us at 1-888-776-6886. Our revised hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET (Monday to Friday). We apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to use our digital platform for trading, money movement, and for general account access."
... thanks. I didn't see the text that closely in particular to the bolded part. That kind of explains why they removed the Send button and ask clients to "call in" based on reduced hours too.

So much for their slogan "We're Here To Help", NOT plus the kindergarten message to encourage clients to use their digital platform ... duh.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Fortunately, I rarely have to ask about anything (to any FI), but I have been waiting for them to re-open My Link for a question I am certain they cannot answer by phone from a living room sofa. I may have to resort to a phone call if they don't re-open by the end of June.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Something occurred to me today. The last time there was a rush of novices (bitcoin/MJ stocks) the brokerages were all overwhelmed with phone calls and couldn't be reached. And in recent weeks there has, apparently, been a lot of enthusiasm from novice / first time investors and ex- sports gamblers.

If you have anything important you need taken care of at your brokerage, you might want to call as soon as they open because there's a chance they may get overwhelmed in the coming days, if the selling continues.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
^ I'm in similar situation as AltaRed with the "I am certain they cannot answer by phone from a living room sofa."... as the issue pertains to their system (ie. a reporting to them) and has nothing to do with trades, or corporate actions or anything of a financial nature. They've indicated this clearly a long time ago that you can only "phone-in" on such requests (of a financial nature.)

I guess BMOIL has too much business at the moment and their MyLink is superior ... as compared to real time Chat elsewhere. Oh well, dream on.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I recently moved all my fixed income to BNS and while I am comfortable with their rates it is almost impossible to contact them by phone or message. Qtrade is good if you need to talk to a real person but the GIC's are limited.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
In some fairness to the brokerages though, there are too many individuals using up the Secure Message / Chat lines for actions they should be able to sort out for themselves. DIY is really supposed to be DIY with rare, limited access needed to brokerage customer services. That is why costs are so cheap.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I recently moved all my fixed income to BNS and while I am comfortable with their rates it is almost impossible to contact them by phone or message. Qtrade is good if you need to talk to a real person but the GIC's are limited.
I agree and my only complaint about iTrade is that it seems impossible to reach them. Then again, I've had very few reasons to ever have to contact them (which means their platform is working well).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts