Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Hanks has been visiting Greece for over 30 years and has just been given full Greek Citizenship along with his wife. He has been quoted as saying he feels 'more Greek than most Greeks'. He has even converted to the Greek Orthodox faith which his wife who has a Greek mother was brought up in.

As it happens, I too feel totally at home in Greece and on the island of Rhodes in particular where I lived for 7 years. I have tried numerous times to explain to others how I felt when I took my first step off the ferry onto the island. It was as if I had 'come home' in a very unreal way. If I believed in reincarnation, I would have to say I lived there in a previous life because literally from that first step onto the dock I felt at home, at peace and as if I belonged there. It's very hard to try and describe.

There are many other places in the world where I feel very comfortable and am happy to spend time but none where that same sense of belonging has happened to me.

Is there anywhere you have been that made you feel an immediate sense of belonging and yet is not your 'home' country? A feeling of belonging that is beyond simply being comfortable there.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We feel at home in Greece and in Thailand. We keep returning to both
I feel comfortable or 'at home' in several countries ian but that is not the feeling I am trying to describe. As I wrote, it seems to be impossible to describe to anyone when I have tried to in the past and I don't think my description here will be taken by readers any differently but believe me it is very different indeed.

Perhaps the word epiphany would be closer. It happened in a moment of time. As I wrote, as I stepped off the ferry onto the dock, in that moment of time it occurred. It took ZERO time to grow so to speak, it was just there in that instant.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
We are both transplanted easterners. Quebec and Ontario respectively. We feel and felt that way every time we came back to Vancouver or Calgary depending on where we happened to be living. Never had the feeling when we lived in Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa. It was never the same feeling of thankfulness in being home.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Many places can be home, but no place feels "at home" any more.

at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind.

Thomas F. Hornbein, Everest: The West Ridge

·
Banned
434 Posts
With all this COVID BS I am really starting to think I would be better off 6 feet under. i think if things get worse it will be just time to go to my eventual home in the grave yard. I dont like to travel alone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts