Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
Interestingly the UK has a provision that even if you were born in the UK, if considered a national security threat, you could lose citizenship.
Yes this new form of banishment / extrajudicial punishment has become popular in recent years -- it's pretty disgusting.

I consider it a severe corruption of democratic norms. Something like "national security threat" is usually presented without evidence, in secret courts, without transparency. I think the western world has lost its mind in recent years over this terrorism paranoia.

I'll bet that China currently thinks that many normal citizens including university students in Hong Kong are "national security threats". It doesn't take much to become a national security threat... it's all in the eye of the beholder.

The UK and Canada were supposed to be better than these kinds of regimes. Thankfully, Trudeau stood up for democratic principles (and in fact he did it VERY quickly after taking office) but I am disappointed with the UK.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I don't understand what the majority vote has to do with the usefulness of a passport. It is undeniably less useful since Brexit than before Brexit, but the majority voters in the UK were not likely focusing on the usefulness of their passports when they voted.
Yes, one thing has nothing to do with the other but some posters seem to be incapable of realizing that. LOL

A UK passport had a huge advantage as a second passport for a Canadian who wanted to spend time in Europe. Brexit is removing that advantage. Retiredguy's original post recognizes that. If that advantage still existed, the question of whether getting one was worthwhile or not might have had a much easier answer for him.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Could Uk citizenship be granted via a father who was born in NL before Nl joining Canada?
Now that's an interesting question. So the father was a UK citizen until then is what you are saying. But unfortunately, if he was born in Newfoundland, when NL joined the confederation he lost his UK citizenship and became a Canadian citizen. So no, that won't work.

If he had been born in the UK it would be a different story of course. But that would have nothing to do with NL and Confederation at all.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts