Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently it was announced that seniors in receipt of OAS would be getting a one time payment of $300. Has anyone on the forum received theirs, I checked today for the wife and she got her normal payment amount for the month but no extra $300.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No, I never got any extra.
I would rather they give the 300 bucks to a homeless person or somebody who needs food bank help.
I can live on 17 a month, I don't need extra.
What part of Newfoundland are you from?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some digging around on the "interweb" :) and it looks like it will be paid in June: "The one-time payment for seniors is available to individuals who are eligible to receive the Old Age Security pension or the Guaranteed Income Supplement in June 2020."

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think you might be reading that incorrectly. It's ...who are eligible...in June 2020
The only thing I could find was 'as soon as possible'

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
FWIW, my understanding of "who are eligible" means those currently approved to receive and/or are receiving, OAS/GIS. It isn't coming to those who have not yet applied for OAS or who deferred it to an older age.

·
Registered
415 Posts
One-time tax-free payment for seniors
-- $300 for seniors eligible for the Old Age Security pension, and
-- an additional $200 for seniors eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement
Separate payments will be issued during the week of July 6, 2020.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
and another $300 for those receiving disability payments. Santa Claus Trudeau is going to make us broke. And there will be no higher oil revenues to subsidize them....and the NDP blindly supports them without any accounting.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Trudeau did not have much choice.
People were not gonna sit around and watch tons of newly borrowed money going to the Upper Class.
Trudeau only agreed to give something to Poor Folks so he could camouflage just how huge the bailout to the Upper Class was/is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Trudeau did not have much choice.
People were not gonna sit around and watch tons of newly borrowed money going to the Upper Class.
Trudeau only agreed to give something to Poor Folks so he could camouflage just how huge the bailout to the Upper Class was/is.
What are you talking about? The initial CERB and business assistance seems reasonable although maybe too long and not into the hands of the upper class. Most seniors haven't been able to spend any money during these past few months being stuck at home so not sure why this is even necessary.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How much money was given to the Upper Class?
I would guess that it was more than 15 bucks a day.
Just guessin'
They should of had a means test before making any promises to anybody.
Yes, the point of giving out funds was to help people being unable to work doesn't matter what class they are in . Why should an individual who was not affected being retired receive cash?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yes, the point of giving out funds was to help people being unable to work doesn't matter what class they are in . Why should an individual who was not affected being retired receive cash?
The rationale given is that expenses are higher for seniors due to covid. More frequent prescription drug refill costs, more costly groceries due to delivery charges, more expensive travel in avoiding mass public transit.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quite Honestly ..... I don't want the cash. Honest!
I don't need it. I think that before the government gives anybody any free money they should be required by law to perform a means test.
I am already planning on going down to the community center and stand around til I spy a person who looks in need of help.
I know that I will feel good inside ..... in my heart just feeling the kindness within the air as I pass it to the person appreciating my gift.
I am not rich.
I get 1700 total pension payments and my rent is 1300 plus hydro.
I got total wealth of about 100 thousand.
I am 72 years old, I expect to live another 10 years. Maybe 15 years max
To maintain my lifestyle each month, I need to withdraw 400 cash from my total wealth funds. (10 Years is 50 thousand and depending on rent controls and this really-really weird economy)
So, I don't need the cash. I feel too guilty just thinking about taking it.
And that is the truth.

This virus has destroyed so many families.
I know what it is like to "Really Need".

When the virus arrived upon our shores, the government needed to give a means test to anybody and any Corporation and to any Economic Terrorist that they give free money to.

They got a lifetime to review all the data collected as people provided the paper work and proof of financial worth. I don't care if it took ten years to find the "Overpayments". To find the fraud. The investigations or means test need not be investigated during this Virus-Time..

Getting money for free should not be a Get Out Jail Free Card.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Seniors definitely suffered worse effects of COVID re: access to necessities, groceries, etc.

As a younger person I was still putting on my mask and going into stores to do my shopping. I have been in 14 day isolation too, and saw first hand just how difficult it is when you can't go outside. I tried online food delivery orders and my stuff didn't show up for 10 to 14 days.

Plus the online orders involved extra fees.

Even if the seniors were going into the stores to do their own shopping, they still saw price increases across the board. My own groceries & supplies certainly got more expensive during the pandemic.

I fully support giving some extra cash to retired people.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
But no one subject to OAS clawback (income greater than about $73k) needs $300, and it should have been a taxable benefit to ensure some tax recovery.

Mine will be donated but am trying to think of a worthy cause that would also piss off Trudeau and Morneau... If I find one that will irritate, I plan to email them to thank them for my donation to XXXXX.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seniors definitely suffered worse effects of COVID re: access to necessities, groceries, etc.

As a younger person I was still putting on my mask and going into stores to do my shopping. I have been in 14 day isolation too, and saw first hand just how difficult it is when you can't go outside. I tried online food delivery orders and my stuff didn't show up for 10 to 14 days.

Plus the online orders involved extra fees.

Even if the seniors were going into the stores to do their own shopping, they still saw price increases across the board. My own groceries & supplies certainly got more expensive during the pandemic.

I fully support giving some extra cash to retired people.
OAS and CPP are adjusted based off inflation so pensions will already be adjusted to account for increases.
I know its not a lot but all these little things Trudeau is tossing funds at does start to add up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts