Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may or may not have noticed that now that we are starting to get Covid under control, nothing has been said by the Ontario government (or any other provincial government that I am aware of) as to how we are going to overhaul our Long Term Care system. It's back to 'ignore the elderly'.

Now in Ontario, the Ford government has announce Bill 175 to privatize Home Care. Our LTC homes are a mess and now they want to do the same to Home Care.

Privatizing health care doesn't work. That has been shown time and time again in multiple countries. You cannot have a company whose primary goal is profit and expect them to give EQUAL priority to CARE. There can only be ONE primary goal. Surely this disaster in LTC Homes should have made that message clear to anyone with half a brain. I'm disgusted to see the Ford government ignoring this simple truth.

The only advantage to privatizing any part of healthcare is to reduce taxes. But that comes at a cost in care. Apparently, Ford has learned nothing in this regard and still wants to pursue his only goal which is 'cut, cut, cut' services.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
He already went down that road and his popularity plunged to historic lows. The COVID gave him some traction and now he wants to piss it all away ?

Note to Doug Ford and all other politicians. Canadians want their services improved, not cut.......full stop and end of story.

If there is a deficit problem....raise taxes or fees or eliminate tax breaks or something.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think that all governments and town councils are going to be screaming for cash within the next year.
The parasites lie in wait.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I think that all governments and town councils are going to be screaming for cash within the next year.
The parasites lie in wait.
... yeah, OPC (Other People's Cash) that is. I really would like to see the numbers of lay-offs within the public sector starting with city council (Toronto) from March upto now. Of which, I can accurately predict as numero "zero" as can't have them sacrificing and suffering like the low-level private sectors.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why can't you guys respond to the topic instead of going off on your own little rants about something other than the topic.

It seems this topic is of little interest to most, given the low response rate to it. Why am I not surprised. The elderly, 'ignore them.'

·
Registered
734 Posts
The topic is "Privatization" and I just gave a snide remark because I do not support privatization.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Privatizing health care doesn't work. That has been shown time and time again in multiple countries. You cannot have a company whose primary goal is profit and expect them to give EQUAL priority to CARE. There can only be ONE primary goal. Surely this disaster in LTC Homes should have made that message clear to anyone with half a brain. I'm disgusted to see the Ford government ignoring this simple truth.

The only advantage to privatizing any part of healthcare is to reduce taxes. But that comes at a cost in care. Apparently, Ford has learned nothing in this regard and still wants to pursue his only goal which is 'cut, cut, cut' services.
I'd say since almost every country permits some private health care suggests it can work.

The LTC homes had outbreaks and failures at both public and privately run homes.

Maybe the problem isn't the source of the funding, but how they're run, and the near complete lack of accountability.
Also they're horrible jobs, even in Quebec where the publicly run homes pay a decent wage, they have a shortage.

The sad reality is that it's really expensive to take care of people. To give everyone the high level of care they want, we'd have to double or triple the number of staff, and likely increase wages significantly.

We can't afford that, and that's the problem, we're at 50% tax rates, and the burden is becoming unsustainable.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Why can't you guys respond to the topic instead of going off on your own little rants about something other than the topic.

It seems this topic is of little interest to most, given the low response rate to it. Why am I not surprised. The elderly, 'ignore them.'
... nothing new.

As per my previous post somewhere, this "phenomenon" existed for years if not decades. And will continue to exist. There is no fix with this when society is morally corrupted. It'll only get worst as lawsuits haven't even started.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
... nothing new.

As per my previous post somewhere, this "phenomenon" existed for years if not decades. And will continue to exist. There is no fix with this when society is morally corrupted. It'll only get worst as lawsuits haven't even started.
Do you think lawsuits will accomplish anything?

Either the government will give themselves immunity, or they'll use money that should be going to health care to give payouts.

The government loves giving themselves immunity from responsibility.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think that when the government is offering the services the government has "Unlimited Liability".

When a government service is privatized, the service being offfered has a "Limited Liability" and can simply declare bankruptcy and walk away.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
It was mostly the private homes that I saw on the news. Some owners may be fined and others may face criminal action.

Lawsuits are going to shut down a lot of old nursing homes. The government had best start building new ones.

Ford put a moratorium on building new nursing homes in Ontario a couple years ago. That was another one of his mistakes.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I think that when the government is offering the services the government has "Unlimited Liability".

When a government service is privatized, the service being offfered has a "Limited Liability" and can simply declare bankruptcy and walk away.
You're funny. Only in the most political of cases does the government even bother to pretend to care about making people whole for their mistakes, if not outright criminal acts.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I did not mean to say that anybody cared ...... Privatizing Long Term Care Facilities is a financial decision and not an emotional decision..

if these LTC units are sold, the terms of the sale will be like the nuclear plants.

Owner/Operator of nuclear plants has limited liability and the Ontario government picks up the tab in excess of the insurance policy which the private operator has.
Same thing with mining. The company goes bankrupt and leaves the government with the tab when cleaning the environmental damage.

I think if these units are privatized it is a good way for the government to walk away from the employee benefits and obligations. The new owner can simply declare bankruptcy at any time and walk away.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Do you think lawsuits will accomplish anything?

Either the government will give themselves immunity, or they'll use money that should be going to health care to give payouts.

The government loves giving themselves immunity from responsibility.
... did my post say the lawsuits will "accomplish" anything? In fact, I posted this phenomenon will only get worst as there's no fix. Actually the fix starts with charity at home for those seniors with kids.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
There is no way to skimp on spending and provide better services. Taxes will have to go up to allocate more funds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts