Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/02/20/1987789/0/en/Northview-Apartment-REIT-Announces-Agreement-to-be-Acquired-by-Starlight-and-KingSett-for-36-25-Per-Unit-in-Cash-in-a-Transaction-Valued-at-4-8-Billion.html

Northview Apartment REIT Announces Agreement to be Acquired by Starlight and KingSett for $36.25 Per Unit in Cash in a Transaction Valued at $4.8 Billion
NVU is already trading at the new price point. The deal closes in 6-ish months so I may sell and decide what to do after the deal closes. I expect it will be a taxable CG event even if I just hold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,517 Posts
... The deal closes in 6-ish months so I may sell and decide what to do after the deal closes. I expect it will be a taxable CG event even if I just hold.
Is there any indication that holding for units will be a taxable event instead of a rollover affecting the new units costs?

I haven't kept tabs on the numbers but for similar transactions I have been party to - those choosing to take the new units were almost always given the choice of a tax deferred rollover for all or almost all of the value.

Choosing cash forces a taxable event.


Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
^ I don't think taking the cash itself, forcing a taxable event in a non-registered is all that bad considering most of it is ROC (from T3-2018).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
I'm selling all my NVU.
I don't want the closed end fund.
Forget it. I loved NVU and Starlight sucks.
I'm out.

I'll take my money and split between BPY and KMP probably
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to dump it on Friday and put the money into KMP as I still wanted some residential exposure. I can't understand how I managed to overlook KMP in the first place. It does looks overvalued at the minute so I started with half the proceeds from NVU and will add more if and when the price declines although with the interest rate announcement that could be a long way out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
I have been to a few Killam places. The ones I have been to are all very nice. I've been a buyer of them for a year and I thought I was late to the party. Always room to grow. Especially in this environment.

KMP seems very well run and organized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Grrr, wish I dumped this when deal was announced as it's down a few bucks since then. Anyone think the deal still goes through at transacted price? I could use the cash to buy something else now. I assume if deal falls through this goes to $20 or so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Got the official notice from TDDI explaining the various options. Default option is to receive cash 36.25 sh. Decision to select a different option from the several shown, must be made by May 20th. Any other holders here taking any of the other options? If so why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Got the official notice from TDDI explaining the various options. Default option is to receive cash 36.25 sh. Decision to select a different option from the several shown, must be made by May 20th. Any other holders here taking any of the other options? If so why?
Decision date now moved to June 5th
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top