Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this REIT that I like, as it have massive exposure in Northern Canada that have massive housing problem. In the meantime, I also like that it have significant exposure in Alberta, where rent is expected to increase due to higher oil price.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As someone who lives in Yellowknife and has also rented from Northview(only 7 months) I wouldn’t own this company. I truly don’t care how good of a buy it is/was/could be. The buildings are disgusting. They barely take care of them. Don’t care about the people living there. Seriously, f**k that company. They have screwed over multiple of my close friends.

·
Registered
469 Posts
(Nothing personal but) invest in companies that piss you off. They are making money and it looks like their income base may hqve nowhere else to go.

That's also the reason why I invest in banks and insurance companies because, oh boy, do they really piss their customers.

The same reasoning should go towards retirement homes. I used to own Extendicare.

·
Registered
96 Posts
(Nothing personal but) invest in companies that piss you off. They are making money and it looks like their income base may hqve nowhere else to go.

That's also the reason why I invest in banks and insurance companies because, oh boy, do they really piss their customers.

The same reasoning should go towards retirement homes. I used to own Extendicare.
You make a fair point and I understand where your coming from. Just can’t do it. Hate that company. How can you leave an entire building without heat in December when it’s -30 outside for 2.5 days?

I have too many stories from too many people about how they operate. It’s disgusting.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmm very interesting. Looks like these must be some sort of spin off from the original Northview Apartment Reit that was taken private Northview Apartment REIT Announces Close of Sale to (globenewswire.com)

I notice Daniel Drimmer is chairman of this new fund and wasn't surprised to see his name. He was possibly also chairman of the old North View Apartment Reit but I cant fully recall. I would dig deeper to the properties to see if it's just the trash that's gone back onto the public market.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This REIT owns units where I used to live. Seemed like decent units and affordable. Seemed to have low vacancy rates and I didn't hear of too many issues. I'll likely add a few shares of this to my other REIT's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts