Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that holds nortel stock and is on a fixed pension. Here is the question as simple as I can put it. If he has no capital gains in the year how does he write off a loss on this stock that he says still shows up at a price of half a cent. I will try to get more info from him as this was just a quick conversation or if anyone can help with a suggestion it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
He can't write off the loss unless he has capital gains.
However if he can go back if he had previous gains, or save the
loss for future years.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i see 2 related questions here.

1) how to take a loss in NT when there are no capital gains during the taxation year.

ans: already posted (losses can only be netted against gains.)

2) how to take a loss in NT at any time:

ans: if there's no OTC market taxpayer has to "sell" the stock to generate a loss, presumably to a friend or relative who has an account at same brokerage (broker will charge a fee.)

note: unless he intends to carry the loss back to gains in prior years, it's probably better not to sell for a loss this year, because tax consequences of a loss carry-forward are not quite as beneficial as netting a loss against gain in same taxation year. Just carry the miserable thing forward.

if he never has any gains i won't dare to ask what's he doing in NT in the first place ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts