Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a conversion from CA to US using DLR with TD Waterhouse. When I called to journal the shares over, they told me it would cost me a commission of roughly ~$80, as per their US commission schedule: http://www.tdwaterhouse.ca/products...vesting/commissions-fees/#telephone-brokerage.

I had done this in the past and I was never charged. She said they would let it go this time but would note my account for future.

Anyone have this problem lately with TDW?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm assume that you are talking about a non-registered account.

Here is the non-registered excerpt, taken from Norbert’s Gambit : Buy U.S. dollars in a TD Direct Investing RRSP.

When you perform Norbert’s gambit in a non-registered account at TD Direct Investing, most of the steps are the same as in an RRSP.
However, you will need to wait three business days (T+3) for the DLR trade to settle on the Canadian-dollar side of the non-registered account before asking TD to “journal” the shares to the US-dollar side (Alternatively, you can contact a trader at TD and immediately sell DLR.U, but this will cost you $43 instead of the usual online trade commission). Once this is complete, you will be able to sell DLR.U and buy your US-listed ETF.
Here's the cheap way to do it:
1. Buy DLR (CAD). This online transaction is $9.99.
2. After 3 days, call TD to have them "journal" your shares to the US-dollar side. (I thought TD would do this for free.)
3. Sell DLR.U. This online transaction is $9.99.

It sounds like they charged you the phone transaction commission for both the buy and the sell. i.e. $43 + $43

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here's the cheap way to do it:

1. Buy DLR (CAD). This online transaction is $9.99.
2. After 3 days, call TD to have them "journal" your shares to the US-dollar side. (I thought TD would do this for free.)
3. Sell DLR.U. This online transaction is $9.99.

these steps are correct

re step # 2: TD has always journalled without charge & continues to journal without charge in the same account.

namael it looks like some thing(s) went wrong in your attempt, either in your instructions to TD or in the representative's response or in both.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Sometime, uninformed TD rep will give you a hard time with NG.

Just thanks them for the information, finish the call, wait 5min and call back.

Repeat until you find a friendly rep.

After performing the ng, ask for your new friend phone extension and call him directly when you need to perform NG. I have three rep that i can call who perform NG on the spot with web commish.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i believe that larry might be hinting his status again
he gets the web commish for the sell side of a gambit trade because he's a hi-value client :peach:

us peasants, alas, have to resign ourselves to paying an agent's phone commish for the instant sell side of a gambit pair, in TD non-registered accounts.

btw *never* pay full commish for both sides of an instant gambit trade. Instead, do this:

- set up your detailed quotes for the interlisted stock in both markets; choose the day & moment properly;

- prepare the online buy side order but don't send it;

- get a cooperative agent on the phone & make sure he understands exactly what you intend to do;

- send the buy order (low online commish); a good agent will have already prepared the sell order;

- as soon as agent sees you have bought, he will send the sell order;

- & you're done! curtsey & bow, it's like a little two-step dance

PS don't forget that in TD registered accounts it's possible to gambit trade both sides instantly, online, for 2 cheap online commissions, ie the platform in registered account is different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It was in a non-registered account, I didn't realize there was a difference in the system for non-registered vs registered. The rep ended up doing the trade for me using the online commission, but said she would "note" my account, whatever that means. The reason for the ~80 was because of this commission schedule: $5.01 - $10 share price: $39 + $0.05/sh.

I think I will try the advice above with calling first before the buy. Or I will find a way to get more "clout" haha.

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
I'm going to be doing a reverse gambit in a few days, also non-registered, and will post my findings. Other than it being the reverse direction, it's the cheap steps avrex described.

My methodology is: buy DLR.U using USD, wait for it to settle, phone and ask to journal it to DLR, sell DLR and receive CAD.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I'm going to be doing a reverse gambit in a few days, also non-registered, and will post my findings. Other than it being the reverse direction, it's the cheap steps avrex described.

My methodology is: buy DLR.U using USD, wait for it to settle, phone and ask to journal it to DLR, sell DLR and receive CAD.

the drawback to this has been mentioned several hundred times over 2 or 3 years ...

of the 2 DLRs, only DLR.U is pegged. Therefore if you travel from USD to CAD, you will expose yourself to currency fluctuation for 5 days.

at the TD, in a non-registered account, gambit traders are better off doing an instant gambit using an interlisted carrier stock.

the sell side has to be accomplished by a licensed rep. In the manner set forth above. There is a phone commission. For USD-->CAD gambits, there is no reliable alternative.

some have "succeeded" with slow 5-day DLR.U-->DLR arbitrage. They have "succeeded" because a) currency FX rates happened to move in their favour during the 5 days; or b) currency fluctuation over a 5-day period may be less than stock fluctuation.

alternatively, you could open an account at BMO or royal bank, as has also previously been mentioned. Their web platforms support inexpensive instant online gambit trading in both registered & non-registered.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
a general message:

when gambit trading at a broker that requires a phone call to handle the sell side order (most brokers other than BMO or roybank) do not pick the DLRs as the carrier stock.

what the gambit trader needs for an agent-handled sell side is as few shares as possible, in order to keep the commission as low as possible, given that there is a cents-per-share charge. He should therefore look to pick an expensive carrier stock such as BMO or RY.

the DLRs are too inexpensively priced & there will be too many DLRs in an agent-handled DLR gambit.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It looks like TD never restored any swap capability between RRSP and non-registered accounts after they threw the baby out with the bath water in 2011? Prior to that, you could swap TD money market funds with no fee. But they don't have any swap stuff in their current commission schedule, so I assume it never came back. RBC does show a $35 swap fee, so I assume they did revive them, but the nifty "free using TD funds" thing would have let people who happened to have RRSP liquidity do the easier registered gambit and swap with non-registered cash.

BTW, there's a "Special note" highlighted in a green box on page 3 of TD's current commission document that wasn't there a couple of years ago:
When an order is placed through one service (for example,
an Investment Representative) and then changed through a different service (for example, an Electronic Brokerage Service), the commission charged will be based on the service with the higher commission structure.
Perhaps they (or some agents) are now considering the journalling as a "change" on the original order and charging the phone commission on the first transaction?

·
Registered
688 Posts
This is what I do with RBCDI... (and zero phone calls or waiting required)

Buy dlr normally with Canadian funds.

To sell:

Do NOT click the sell tab from the position sheet. Create a new sell order. Sell from CDN acct and do not change market tab to US.

Enter DLR.U in the stock code box. This is the trick.

Works every time for me.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
dear taxes & bull

guys you should be able to understand that only RBC & BMO Investorline work like this.

by a fluke, the TD registered account platform also works like this.

no other broker platform works like this.

every other broker platform requires a special effort to handle the sell side of a currency arbitrage trade, aka a gambit trade.

the DLRs were invented for clients of slow-poke brokers with expensive agent-handled sell sides. But the DLRs only work for CAD-to-USD operations, because only one side is pegged.

actually, the art & science of currency arbitrage is not the transaction itself, which is an extremely simple pair trade. The art & science consist of knowing which brokerages can do what & with whom & at what price.

(sigh) sometimes i think that poor pie is the only crumb in canada who has this knowledge ...

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
the drawback to this has been mentioned several hundred times over 2 or 3 years ...

of the 2 DLRs, only DLR.U is pegged. Therefore if you travel from USD to CAD, you will expose yourself to currency fluctuation for 5 days.
It's true that using DLR to go from USD to CAD requires that you wait, and you're exposed to currency movements in that period. Then again nobody can predict FX five days in the future, so there's no reason to think that you're losing profit during the wait.

For me anyway, this is a non issue because the USD that I'm converting has a long voyage, and it starts several months earlier. In reality I'm exposed to currency fluctuations for 100 days or more so an additional 5 days at the brokerage doesn't make any difference.

So DLR does work for USD-to-CAD, as long as you're aware that there's a time lag involved and you can't lock in an FX rate that you see in real-time. Depending on your urgency and your belief that you can predict FX spot rates, it may be a non-issue.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Except I don't like doing this with DLR. A two cent spread on a $10 stock is much different that a two cent spread on a $100 stock. I like using the banks for this.

And as a reminder...never do this with current holdings with paper gains as it will create a taxable event on those holdings (since your ACB would change).

This is what I do with RBCDI... (and zero phone calls or waiting required)

Buy dlr normally with Canadian funds.

To sell:

Do NOT click the sell tab from the position sheet. Create a new sell order. Sell from CDN acct and do not change market tab to US.

Enter DLR.U in the stock code box. This is the trick.

Works every time for me.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
"actually, the art & science of currency arbitrage is not the transaction itself, which is an extremely simple pair trade. The art & science consist of knowing which brokerages can do what & with whom & at what price."

@HP, funny comment. That's the trick I think, figure out what your brokerage does w.r.t to currency exchange based on how you invest and how often you invest, and either live with it or move on.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I like using the banks for this.

And as a reminder...never do this with current holdings with paper gains as it will create a taxable event on those holdings (since your ACB would change).

but isn't that the question, though. *How* would one exchange currencies at the bank without an FX fee? i know of no way ...

2nd point is well taken. Never use a carrier stock that you hold already, the gambit disposition will trigger capital gains or losses.

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
What's the correct way to report (for taxation) the gambit trade using DLR and DLR.U ?

I presume they are the same security for tax purposes, right? So all you're doing is buying and selling the same thing at the same price (since you convert both to CAD for tax reporting). In other words, you report $0 capital gain for this short-term trade. Is that about it?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sorry, when I mean with the banks I mean with the interlisted shares of the big five banks.

but isn't that the question, though. *How* would one exchange currencies at the bank without an FX fee? i know of no way ...

2nd point is well taken. Never use a carrier stock that you hold already, the gambit disposition will trigger capital gains or losses.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i believe that larry might be hinting his status again
he gets the web commish for the sell side of a gambit trade because he's a hi-value client :peach:
no no, just ask nicely and politely to the web agent, should be able to get 9.99$ commission since its a limitation of their system that force you to phone them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.