Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have relocated to Canada in September 2014 on a temporary visa. As I am still a resident of my home country and have been here for less than 180 days, so I am non-resident for Canadian tax purposes. Thus, I have to declare only my Canadian source income for 2014.

I started to earn income only at the end of December, so my Canadian source income for 2014 is only 430$. Do I have to file a tax return only due to such a low amount. From what I have read probably not, I just want to confirm that I am not missing something from the bigger picture.

In the future I also want to apply for permanent residency in Canada. Would filing a tax return voluntarily (even if not required) have any advantage?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts