Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 1 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've just moved back to Canada, (B.C.) late last year after about 8 years in the UK. I am filing my income taxes now, and wondering if someone can help.

My common-law spouse is French, and a non-citizen, (she is here on a working holiday until a spousal visa comes through). She had no income in 2008.

Doing my taxes through H&R Block on-line, if I claim together with her and her zero-income status, it works out to almost $2000 extra back than if I didn't include her as a spouse. However, reading implies that she should claim her "world income". I don't really understand how to do this or how to show how much tax she had paid outside of Canada, etc.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance!
1 - 1 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.