Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 1 of 2 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Firstly I am a bit confused. You say your spouse has no income but then you say "how to show how much tax she had paid outside of Canada"

Secondly, immigration residency is completely different from "Canadian resident for tax purposes". If your spouse meets that definition then she should be filing a return (if required).

Third, the reason you are getting a refund when you enter your spouse's info is that you are getting the spousal credit. This credit is reduced by your spouse's income. In order to claim the spousal credit you have to be 1. supporting your spouse, and 2. the credit is reduced by her income.

Typically the adjustment to the spousal credit uses the line 236 income or the amount that line 236 would be if she filed a return.
1 - 1 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.