Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you hear that 42% of Canadians get their news from social media, it is no wonder so many believe things that are simply not factual.

So instead of looking at reputable and regulated news sources like newspapers, radio and tv news programs that have to fact check what they report to us, we have all these people who look to Facebook, Youtube and Twitter etc. to learn about things. If someone wrote it on Facebook, it must be true is I suppose how they think. That's seriously worrying.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
5 companies own 95% of the US media and they all support the Democrats. Add in Fakebook, YouTube, and Twitter with their well known left wing bias and the vast majority of the population is fed left biased news.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Any wiki article that quote WashPo as a reliable source can't be trusted. In fact, wiki can't be trusted on any political topic...they are overrun by leftists.

That being said, the vast majority of the media IS controlled by the left.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Any wiki article that quote WashPo as a reliable source can't be trusted. In fact, wiki can't be trusted on any political topic...they are overrun by leftists.

That being said, the vast majority of the media IS controlled by the left.
Well if you reject every source as left-wing biased then there's no point in discussing, but there's no debate that Sinclair Broadcast Group is a highly right-wing organization. I'd link to every paper or news outlet that confirms that, but you'll just reject them. sinclair broadcast group conservative - Google Search

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Well if you reject every source as left-wing biased then there's no point in discussing, but there's no debate that Sinclair Broadcast Group is a highly right-wing organization. I'd link to every paper or news outlet that confirms that, but you'll just reject them. sinclair broadcast group conservative - Google Search
Well there are right wing biased sources as well.
That's why I ask for evidence, but the lefties consistently fail to provide it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Prove me wrong...name a right of center media source you think is reliable.
Fox then? The opinions and spin is to be taken with a grain of salt, but the facts are generally there. Unless you don't believe that they are right of center.
Of course you don't believe anything outside your bubble, so not sure what the point is.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Prove me wrong...name a right of center media source you think is reliable.
Reliable is an interesting choice.
I find they're all pretty "reliable", predicable even.

Now, try to find media sources (one left, one right) that is trustworthy, as in presents the facts accurately.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I like The Atlantic for their approach to coverage. But I agree that the Lamestream media have their biases

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
CBC, BBC, Reuters, NPR, CSpan,..........for starters. Even the Drudge Report (a conservative media platform) is pretty balanced.

I doubt the right wing thinkers get their news from any of those sources and depend mostly on right wing conspiracy types of media like Sun Media, the Rebel, Alex Jones, Fox News late night hosts......Hannity, Carlson etc.

Fox provides more balanced news during the day, but Trump hates them now and that means the right wing supporters tune in only at night.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
I don't think it matters much though. Anyone who believes COVID is a hoax or is anti-mask or anti-vaxxer,.....isn't capable of absorbing news anyways.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I was at a conference 2 Januarys ago. There was a presenter there that spoke about the credibility of the modern media. Over time this industry has relaxed its stringent criteria on fact checking, ensuring sources are reliable and protected. This is not a recent happening with the mass adoption to social media. There was a leap made when we went from print to TV and then again when we went to the news channel model. It became easier to bring in "experts" to provide insight to events than to report on the ground the actual events. With the immediacy of social media it is now a race to break the story(it was always a race but there was time to verify while the race was on) than it is to know what the story is or if it is even true. The presenter was a long standing journalist/university prof out of the US. He had a book to go along with his presentation which was an interesting read. If I find it I will come back and post the link for those who may be interested.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
You mean the CBC fact checks & verifies? Lol.

Some of the shoddiest journalism in recent times appeared this long August weekend when the CBC and Winnipeg Free Press doubled teamed on a blatant smear of a veteran city police officer.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Or this lol

"Likewise, it’s taboo to discuss how the ratings scheme distorts content, or it’s simply taken for granted, because everyone in the commercial broadcast news industry is doing the exact same thing."

reputable and regulated news sources like newspapers, radio and tv news programs that have to fact check what they report to us,

My ***.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Collective psychology is impulsive, self generating, self sustaining & self reversing. I dont think the mainstream fake news media has any idea that when the collective psychology reverses they will be hung in the streets.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
CBC, BBC, Reuters, NPR, CSpan,..........for starters. Even the Drudge Report (a conservative media platform) is pretty balanced.
CBC, BBC, Reuters, NPR are all left leaning and their bias is obvious. Drudge has gone left recently too.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts