Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I can tell, there's no premarket trading on Canadian stock market (is that correct?). (Per TSX's page, no trading happens before 9:30am, unlike US exchanges.)

Is there any resource that will give an indication of the likely opening price, based, I suppose, on the bids/offers that are being still being submitted? (While no trades are actually happening premarket, traders are still sending orders and thus I thought might provide an 'unofficial' / rough sense of where a stock is looking to open.

**On the page linked above, there's also a "TSX Alpha Exchange", which appears to have trading hours that start at 8am but...despite some googling, it's not clear to me just what that exchange actually is. You can apparently trade all TSX and TSX-V equities on it so...is that a real, bona fide "premarket" exchange for Canadian equities? Are there ANY exchanges (maybe the new 'NEO') where Canadian equities trade before 9:30am?

·
Registered
676 Posts
There are competing exchanges to the TSX (Alpha, Chi-X, Omega, etc.) that allow trades to pass through before 9:30.

YMMV in terms of what information different brokers display in the period between 8 - 9:30, and if they allow any trades to execute through their trading platform.

If you'd like to look into this in depth, you'd want to look into various online brokers to ask about their systems, and look at the various competing exchanges to see if they publicly disclose trading information before 9:30.

·
Registered
752 Posts
TSX futures (SXM, SXF) are open from 0200 to 0915. I haven't followed them to see if there is substantial volume at those times, but if there is, that could be an indication of trading at the TSX at the open. The volume is likely to be higher in volatile times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts