Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I have been reading the 'money diaries' for a while now and they seem like good motivation to keep saving (and avoiding 'lifestyle creep'). Nothing like public accountability in that regard.

Therefore, it seemed prudent to 'get in on the fun' and, hopefully, maintain motivation to continue to invest and learn from the experts here.

So far, only been investing for about 2 years now. 2013 was 'jumping in' with a small TFSA (mutual funds) and far too much consumer spending. I only really started in earnest in 2014 with the realization that 'I ain't getting any younger', have no pension, and don't want to work forever... I like what I do (at times) but would definitely like to do less and scale back as time goes on.

Hopefully, I can continue to keep moving onward towards that loftiest of goals of financial independence and living off dividends.

This money diary will simply be account balances and random thoughts on investing and spending. With that said, I am already seeing complexity seep into my financial life as 2015 started with me incorporating my practice. The plan is that writing about all of this may make the complexity more bearable (and additionally, more reasoned) as well as 'give back' - as the money diaries on here were great motivation to get into investing.

With that preamble, and realizing it is the start of 2015.

As of January 2, 2015:

Assets:
TFSA: C$37,998
RRSP: C$28,784
Non-Registered (CAD): C$27,778
Non-Registered (USD): US$ 341

Savings Account 1: C$2,271
Savings Account 2: C$ 49

Corporate Current Account: $ 90.00

Liabilities:
Margin Loan (@4.25%): C$3,864
Mastercard: ~C$2,000.00 *this is just the revolving balance as of January 2, it is paid in full monthly
LOC: C$ 0
Visa: C$0

Net Worth: C$93,889 (converted at TD's listed rate)

The margin loan was simply a result of market timing when the banks dropped a little while back to a point where after tax cost of margin was comparable to the annual dividend on the bank stocks I bought with the margin money this meant taking my 'cash reserve' cash as well as margin when the deal was ripe. So far, it is working out. Wish I had gone in further but hindsight is 20/20. However, the downside is this (ill-conceived market timing?) has moved my asset allocation out of balance quite substantially. Currently I am sitting at 38% Canadian equities (target is 25%), 31% International Equities (target of 35%), 31% US Equities (target of 35%), 3.7% fixed income (target 3%) and negative for cash (target of 2%).

My goal, for 2014 was $100,000 net worth so fell slightly short of that target.

The plan is that over 2015 I can be re-balanced through additional contributions since net worth is low enough that contributions will have, hopefully, enough of an effect (we will all see if 'letting it ride' as I re-balance is a good idea or not I guess).

Goals for 2015 are:
1) Get a net worth of $160,000.00 (estimated) or better on or before December 31, 2015 - for this purpose I will be including corporate holdings and adjusting downwards for unpaid corporate taxes - any idea of a good adjustment factor?
2) Put $4,000.00 into Savings Account 1 as part of 'cash reserve';
3) Make a 2015 TFSA contribution ($5,500), and use it to re-balance;
4) Make a 2015 RRSP contribution (whatever the 2015 maximum is), and use it to re-balance;
5) Put a base of $4,000.00 into corporate account to avoid bank fees;
6) Open and fund with at least $15,000.00 (to avoid small account fee) a corporate brokerage account; and
7) Get each asset category within 3% of their target allocation.

Let's see what 2015 brings!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Looks good overall, though without some indication of your income it will be tough to judge whether your goals are achievable or realistic.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that would be useful information for an assessment. Income is variable but will range between $100,000 and $175,000 a year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, time for the first month's update.

January was actually a quiet month finances wise. Didn't spend "that much" overall but a few one of expenses will be coming up in February. Also, had to make a shareholders' loan into my corporation to cover start up expenses. With that said, it was also the month I received my Q4 draw at work -- so that helped. Of course the markets didn't.

I have not yet made my TFSA contribution but am currently moving the funds to do so -- does anyone know a good (free) non-cheque way to move money between Canadian banks? I've been using cash and it is a bit of an annoyance having to first order the cash, then get it and walk it 'across the street' to the other bank. I've been suggested to use Interac transfers but everything I read on them suggest that the system limits make then quite useless to move funds back and forth unless done over a 1 week period in smaller batches which I fear will raise red flags. Thoughts?

Anyways, here is where we sit on February 1, 2015, I've decided to start rounding instead of going "to the dollar" as well.

Assets
TFSA: $39,100 ($100 monthly contribution)
RRSP: $31,000
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 37,400
Non-Registered (USD): $330
Savings Account 1: $14,700
Savings Account 2: $2,550 (money on its way to TFSA)

Corporate Current Account: $500

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $10,450 - paid 400 towards paying down this
MasterCard: $1,000 (revolving balance, paid monthly)
Visa: $0
Line of Credit: $0
Corporate MasterCard: $0 - new, for the corporation's expenses to keep them separate.

Net Worth, converted at TD prevailing rate: $114,960

For the next month, my plan is to draw down on Savings Account 1 for living expenses instead of investing the funds. The reason being to allow the corporation, who I will now be paid through, to accumulate enough to avoid bank fees, repay its shareholders loan (to keep things clean) and to get the base amount established in its account. Also, in February, I hope to get the 2015 TFSA contribution made after funds settle though the various accounts needed to make it. Asset allocation is still very much 'out of whack' as I haven't made any contributions except to paying back the margin loan a bit and my monthly contribution of $100 to my dollar cost averaged mutual fund TFSA.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
You could open an account at Tangerine. Transfers to/from other banks are free and can be done with large amounts. Keep $1 or so in the account so it stays active, and mainly just use it as an intermediary. The disadvantage is it takes around 2 business days each direction, so you'd be waiting for 4 business days altogether.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the idea Spudd. I am actually just in the process of doing this but having issues with them needing a cheque to open the account. Since I don't have a chequing account (anywhere), they won't take a one of credit cheque nor a counter cheque, it may be a dead end.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monthly update time. Never did get the tangerine account to work, but given my recent restructuring, it looks like I won't have to be moving cash back and forth any more regardless. So the "do nothing" approach may have worked out in the end.

Had a bit of 'start up' spending for the corporation and had to buy a new phone -- my old one was well past its prime.

It was also a quite month for investing, just the one 'move' of moving my TSFA contribution into the TFSA account. Continuing to draw on unallocated personal funds to allow corporate funds to accumulate.

So here is the numbers:

Assets
TFSA: $41,000 ($100 monthly contribution)
TFSA 2: $4,400 (contribution of $4,300)
RRSP: $32,000 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 38,500
Non-Registered (USD): $350
Savings Account 1: $8,800
Savings Account 2: $50 (money on its way to TFSA)

Corporate Current Account: $6,500 (unadjusted)

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $10,460
MasterCard: $1,200 (revolving balance, paid monthly)
Corporate MasterCard: $800

Net Worth, converted at TD prevailing rate, rounded after calculation: $119,350 (+$4390, unadjusted for taxes).

Hopefully better next month, a bit high on the spending this month.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quarter 1 update time!

March was a pretty standard month. No substantive investment activity other than starting the process of opening a corporate brokerage account (they haven't completed that yet, way too much paper) and little in the way of unusual spending. The 'economic slowdown' is starting to become apparent at work as workload is becoming more and more erratic, and receivables are getting longer. Here is hoping Q2 is better in that regard. Also, I finally got a chance to complete my personal taxes and it looks like a nice size refund is forthcoming in April/May. Of course it is 'already spent' on next years RRSP contribution.

With the quarter ending, I thought this would be a good time to also look back on my 2015 goals:
1) Get a net worth of $160,000.00 (estimated) or better on or before December 31, 2015 -- not nearly there yet, but lots of time to go.
2) Put $4,000.00 into Savings Account 1 as part of 'cash reserve'; - DONE!
3) Make a 2015 TFSA contribution ($5,500), and use it to re-balance; - sort of done, I've contributed enough that the monthly $100 automatic contributions will do the rest. SO I'll preemptively say this is done.
4) Make a 2015 RRSP contribution (whatever the 2015 maximum is), and use it to re-balance; - Not done.
5) Put a base of $4,000.00 into corporate account to avoid bank fees; - DONE!
6) Open and fund with at least $15,000.00 (to avoid small account fee) a corporate brokerage account; - not done.
7) Get each asset category within 3% of their target allocation. - Not done, my asset allocation is still way off (and heavy Canadian which is hurting). However, there is still lots of time for the contributions to balance this back before year end.

Here is where we are with the numbers:
Assets
TFSA 1: $41,350 ($100 monthly contribution)
TFSA 2: $4,400 (no contributions)
RRSP: $32,100 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 38,200 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (USD): $340 (no contributions)
Savings Account 1: $5,500
Savings Account 2: $20

Corporate Current Account: $12,000

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $10,360 - paid $90 towards paying down this with some cheques I needed to deposit.
MasterCard: $960 (revolving balance, paid monthly)
Corporate MasterCard: $110.

Net Worth, converted at TD prevailing rate (as of April 2, 2015): $122,600 (+$3,250, so a pretty average month)

I've also had the chance to look at rates of return on everything, so far my time weighted return over my investments (TFSA1, TFSA2, RRSP, and Non-Registered) is 5.78% YTD (25.595% annualized). My non-registered portfolio is the dog (-3.03% YTD) but this is my predominately Canadian holdings so somewhat to expect. My international/USA holdings (predominately in RRSP) are up 11.58% YTD and my somewhat properly balanced TFSA is an acceptable 7.99% YTD.

Obviously, this can change a lot throughout the year and is actually worse with the 'cash drag' of funds not invested, but still nice to see a reasonable rate of return covering the margining costs regardless of the accuracy of the calculation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A good, but not great, month.

April was a unique month and somewhat busy. GST was due and paid, a tax refund was received (and promptly 'spent' on RRSPs) and a quarterly draw from work (down about 20% from usual quarterly revenue, the economy is hurting) and opened a brokerage account for the corporation Overall, this means a 'messy' month. Oh, and the TFSA limit was raised meaning another $4,500.00 needed to get placed in TFSA. New money is still in cash unfortunately, but is either at or making its way to the correct accounts and currencies (convert to USD in RRSP and purchase US securities for balancing purposes).

Here is where we are with the numbers:
Assets
TFSA 1: $40,900 ($100 monthly contribution, down a bit with market movement)
TFSA 2: $8,900 ($4,500.00 contribution, still in cash as I'm waiting for the 45 day holding period to expire on the e-series funds that I was previously holding here to expire so that the full amount can be used on a stock or mayer fund purchase -- the change in TFSA limit adjusted my plans a bit with this account)
RRSP: $41,500 ($10,000 contribution from tax refund)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 37,700 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (USD): $350 (no contributions)
Savings Account 1: $3,700
Savings Account 2: $10,300 ( waiting on $10,000 cheque to clear then this goes into RRSP)

Corporate Current Account: $13,000
Corporate Investment Account: $nil (just opened).

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $10,050 - paid approximately $260 towards paying down this with some cheques I needed to deposit, may pay another 300 or so to this in May with money I don't have any use for currently.
MasterCard: $1750 (revolving balance, paid monthly, higher than usual as I had to book a flight across country as well as purchasing some printing supplies)
Corporate MasterCard: $450.

Net Worth, converted at TD prevailing rate (as of May 1, 2015, close of business): $145,400 (+$22,800, so a pretty good month, but should have been about $3,000-5,000 more if it weren't for the work slowdown). Though to put things in perspective, 'tucking away' over $20,000 in a month is probably not something to complain about too much.

For next month, the plan is to get that remaining $10,000 into the RRSP and then use the funds in various accounts to make purchases and reduce cash on hand.

Onwards and upwards!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Great job.

It's refreshing and encouraging to read the money diaries of young people with goals and good financial smarts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the encouragement Janus10, I'm hoping to hit the 'magic' $160,000 sooner, rather than later so I can allocate funds to some upcoming liabilities (2015 corporate and personal taxes for one, I'm going to have to start saving liquid capital for these inchoate liabilities).

scorpion_ca: I practice law, specifically corporate transactions/business structuring and corporate/commercial dispute resolution.

Bull: thanks for the kind words, I hope this diary gives the motivation to others that those that 'came before' gave to me.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Bull: thanks for the kind words, I hope this diary gives the motivation to others that those that 'came before' gave to me.
You're welcome.

Yes, I gathered that from your preamble. A worthy cause. From what I observe there are many that need financial leadership.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
May update - rampant consumerism abound

Posting a few days early because I don't expect to get a chance on Monday. As expected, May was a bit rough (June will be as well) with some significant one-off expenses. The good news is that overall it was still a positive month, just not positive enough! Unfortunately, with the economy in Alberta how it is, I'm down around 20% - 25% for net revenue which is meaning some timing of receivables is necessary.

A few financial related items occurred in May, I funded the corporate brokerage account and got that rolling and planned out the rest of the year with my accountant (decided to start drawing a salary, which means source deductions are starting which will slow down net worth growth for the rest of the year since CRA will be taking around $35,000 off the top over the next 7 months :-().

Anyhow, since this is a day early, I am anticipating for a rent payment that comes out tomorrow; meaning that this months update is 'as of' June 1, 2015 and not the date of posting.

Assets
TFSA 1: $41,600 ($100 monthly contribution)
TFSA 2: $9,000 (no contributions)
RRSP: $53,700 ($10,000 contribution, only around $4,000 more room here -- I expect I'll top this off in July)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 38,600 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (USD): $350 (no contributions)
Savings Account 1: $3,550 ($5,200 less a $1,650 rent payment coming out tomorrow)
Savings Account 2: $300

Corporate Current Account: $7,800
Corporate Investment Account: $8,200.

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $10,070 - decided not to pay anything against this and will let it ride for a bit.
MasterCard: $4,200 (revolving balance, paid monthly, 2 major expenses this last month and another couple coming in June before this goes back to normal :-( this one hurts a bit)
Corporate MasterCard: $1,200.

Estimated net worth (USD converted on May 29, 2015 close of business and accounting for rent payment) is $149,000 (+$3,600).

On the rate of return front, of the accounts I track (the major ones, all Excel XIRR method), my non-registered CAD is the dog (heavily Canadian financials with a -1.34% YTD return; TFSA 1 (balanced in its own right) is at +8.16%; TFSA 2 (global small cap) is +4.88%; and RRSP (foreign / USA) is +14.93% which gives an overall investment return of +7.54% YTD (+19.64% annualized).Can't complain about that! I have not started tracking the corporate investment account yet.

Until next time...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
June 2015 - Rampant Consumerism (take 2) and a turn of the market

Posting a day early (again) because I don't expect to get a chance tomorrow. As anticipated, June was rough. This is a mix of the rampant consumerism (which was expected), and a turn of the market.

A few financial related items occurred in June, I threw some funds at margin and made a purchase of some additional bank shares in the financial turmoil (thank you Greece). I need to stop buying Canadian financials as it is affecting the portfolio balance placing me 5% over my Canadian equity allocation. It is just hard to say no to blue chips that are paying dividends higher than the pre-tax cost of money! Unfortunately, this means until the end of July I am basically illiquid -- going to be tight on cash flow from some expected and unexpected expenses. The good news is next month looks like I'll be receiving a reasonable income, so merely a timing of receivables issue. I have also started a salary (with everything that entails tax and reporting wise), so asset growth will slow now with the additional tax burdens this entails.

With that said, I'm a bit concerned I'm taking too much risk so likely will back down a bit on the margin over the next few months.

As with last month, since this is a day early, I am anticipating for a rent payment that comes out tomorrow; meaning that this months update is 'as of' July 1, 2015 and not the date of posting.

Assets
TFSA 1: $40,800 ($100 monthly contribution)
TFSA 2: $8,700 (no contributions)
RRSP: $51,800 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 41,100 (around $2,800 contributed)
Non-Registered (USD): $340 (no contributions)
Savings Account 1: $1,900 ($3,550 less a $1,650 rent payment coming out tomorrow)
Savings Account 2: $30

Corporate Current Account: $4,500
Corporate Investment Account: $8,100 (no contributions).

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $11,100 - paid a bit towards this, also drew on it a bit.
MasterCard: $1,100 (revolving balance, paid monthly)
Corporate MasterCard: $3,500 (the rampant consumerism expected last month has hit! This is one off).

Estimated net worth (USD converted on June 30, 2015 close of business and accounting for rent payment) is $143,000 (-$6,000). Not a good month overall, but still not that bad considering and, realistically, a negative month was bound to happen at some point!

On the rate of return front: my non-registered CAD is still the dog and getting doggier (heavily Canadian financials with a -5.78% YTD return; TFSA 1 (balanced in its own right) is at +5.80%; TFSA 2 (global small cap) is +0.00%; and RRSP (foreign / USA) is +8.53% which gives an overall investment return of +3.32% YTD (+6.81% annualized) which shows how much of a difference a month makes.

Plan for next month is to continue with filling the RRSP, put some cash aside for expected tax liabilities for year end, and top up general operating accounts again from the rampant consumerism (personal and corporate). I'll let everyone know in a month how that went!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
July update - a good month overall

July 2015 has come and gone, in some ways good, others bad. Had to dip into line of credit for a few weeks to maintain liquidity - which is never good. The good news is that it was only for a week and a half and has been cleared off. Equities are all over the place but rebounded a bit near month end, which helps. I sold out of BB as some of the news of the new market direction seemed to change my view of the company's future (thankfully, sold out before it dropped too much further at nearly identical value to when I purchased). On holding it, I practically broke even, however I am quite ahead from the covered call writing I did while I did hold it.

Also, I was able to hit all three monthly benchmarks. RRSP is now full for the year, a little cash is aside now for CRA, and there is some residual liquidity left. I'll have to run the numbers more closely to see if there is any excess after reserves that can be invested too. With that said, the plan is to invest the amount for tax liabilities in a HISA, GIC or like product until needed to get a little, minuscule, return. This leaves a heavier cash allocation than i usually maintain but is the 'safe bet', so to speak.

With all the activities in July, I am happy to say asset allocation is much better (or will be on Tuesday when the last of the RRSP contribution is allocated as I only rebalance through purchases). My target allocations are:
25% Canadian Equities currently at 27.8%;
35% US Equities, currently at 34.9%;
35% overseas Equities, currently at 35.0%;
3% fixed income, currently at 2.3%; and
2% cash and equivalents, currently at 0% as I'm in margin.

This is not counting the funds allocated for known upcoming liabilities.

So time for the big numbers, as of August 1, 2015:

Assets
TFSA 1: $42,300 ($100 monthly contribution)
TFSA 2: $9,300 (no contributions)
RRSP: $59,200 (around $3,800 contributed, now full for the year) :)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 39,500 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (USD): U$340 (no contributions)
Savings Account 1: $4,500
Savings Account 2: $250

Corporate Current Account: $11,000
Corporate Investment Account: $23,600 ($15,000 contribution, the cash being pooled for upcoming taxes so not truly an investment, but stored here).

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $9,600 - no payments.
MasterCard: $1,100 (revolving balance, paid monthly)
Line of Credit: $0 - dipped into for a few weeks and paid off
Corporate MasterCard: $400 (revolving balance, paid monthly)

Estimated net worth is now $182,800 (+$39,800 :)).

With that said, the number is not as good as it looks as upcoming liabilities (not yet assessed corporate and personal taxes) aren't reflected.

No real plan for August, other than to attempt to reduce consumer spending and try to get the revolving personal master card balance to start being under $1,000 per month. On the rate of return front, I've now added in the corporate investment account into my tracking sheet given it will be holding a few different investments for different purposes (short term, and long term holdings).

My non-registered CAD is still the dog, as expected, (heavily Canadian financials) at -6.50% YTD return; TFSA 1 (balanced in its own right) is at +9.28%; TFSA 2 (global small cap) is +9.18% YTD; RRSP (foreign / USA) is +17.61% YTD, and corporate investment account (global small cap, and a lot of cash) is at 10.77% YTD, which gives an overall investment return of +8.05% YTD (+14.25% annualized). Obviously, my portfolio has a lot of volatility, as I am heavily exposed to foreign currencies but so far I seem to have the stomach for it as I've not sold anything other that the BB stock - but I chalk that up to deteriorating fundamentals and being time to 'let it go'.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Black Monday" update, although really, it wasn't that big of drop.

On paper, lost about $2700.00, which is actually less than I lost last Thursday. Acting irrational, I bought 50 shares in BMO whilst it was down. Thinking being as that the yield on cost was around 5% and well below their 52 week moving average. Although, I really have to stop buying banks!

Anyways, since it was an abnormal day, I went and ran my XIRR calculations:

Non-registered CAD (heavy Canadian financials) is now -17.99%;
TFSA 1 (balanced) is +2.66%;
TFSA 2 (global small cap) is now 0.00%;
RRSP (US and foreign) is +11.24; and
Corporate account (global small cap and cash) is now +5.34%

Overall, YTD is now 0.31%, 0.49% annualized. It appears in the last week I have lost, on paper, the years gains, curious what the rest of the week brings!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
August 2015, a post-mortem

August 2015 has come and gone. Bad month. Very bad month. Markets were down.

I bought 50 shares of BMO on the big dip. Didn't sell anything, and didn't even come close to doing so. I guess that's good.

I am still maintaining large cash buffers and paying far too much to CRA in remittances to catch up for the year ($4,500.00 per month from now until the end of the year so this will make capital growth stagnate). Also added around $2,200.00 to margin account to reduce margin a bit in case of another big drop. Between the drop and large CRA remittances, I’m down this month and expect to sit about even throughout the remainder of the year unless some large unexpected receivables come though (or I win LottoMAX).

Asset allocation is still close to target, a few more deposits and it should be right where it should be:

25% Canadian Equities currently at 29.1%;
35% US Equities, currently at 32.6%;
35% overseas Equities, currently at 33.2%;
2% cash and equivalents, currently at 2.9%.

Assets as of September 1, 2015:

Assets
TFSA 1: $41,000 ($100 monthly contribution)
TFSA 2: $8,600 (no contributions)
RRSP: $56,700 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 41,000 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (USD): U$320 (no contributions)
Savings Account 1: $4,000
Savings Account 2: $20

Corporate Current Account: $6,500
Corporate Investment Account: $23,400 (no contributions).

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $10,800 - $2,200 paid.
MasterCard: $950 (revolving balance, paid monthly, but under $1,000 for a change)
Line of Credit: $0 - dipped into for a few weeks and paid off
Corporate MasterCard: $700 (revolving balance, paid monthly, bought an external hard drive I needed for work)

Estimated net worth is now $167,300 (-$15,500). Ouch.

My non-registered CAD is still the dog, as expected, (heavily Canadian financials) at -12.790% YTD return; TFSA 1 (balanced in its own right) is at +0.61%; TFSA 2 (global small cap) is +0.00% YTD; RRSP (foreign / USA) is +10.55% YTD, and corporate investment account (global small cap, and a lot of cash) is at 4.94% YTD, which gives an overall investment return of +0.704% YTD (+1.06% annualized, woohoo). Obviously, my portfolio has a lot of volatility, and is down significantly. I have sold nothing and don’t intend to. I just hope a few more stocks can drip before prices come back up.

No real plan for September. Just try to break even by the end of the month (not likely to happen this month) and watch out for business opportunities in the deteriorating Alberta economy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
September 2015 update

Short update, not much to say other than a rough month.

Current asset allocation:
25% Canadian Equities currently at 29.9%;
35% US Equities, currently at 32.3%;
35% overseas Equities, currently at 32.4%;
2% cash and equivalents, currently at 3.1%.

Assets as of October 1, 2015:

Assets
TFSA 1: $38,900 ($100 monthly contribution)
TFSA 2: $8,600 (no contributions)
RRSP: $55,000 (no contributions)
Non-Registered (CAD): $ 43,000 ($300 contribution)
Non-Registered (USD): U$320 (no contributions)
Savings Account 1: $1,100
Savings Account 2: $60

Corporate Current Account: $7,600
Corporate Investment Account: $23,300 (no contributions).

Liabilities
Margin Loan: $10,500
MasterCard: $1,100 (revolving balance, paid monthly, back over $1,000 again :-()
Corporate MasterCard: $300 (revolving balance, paid monthly)

Estimated net worth is now $166,700 (-$600). Not that bad given the markets lately. Hopefully returns to positive balances again soon...

Rates of return:
Non-registered CAD, (heavily Canadian financials) at -6.035% YTD return; TFSA 1 (balanced in its own right) is at +0.017%; TFSA 2 (global small cap) is +0.00% YTD; RRSP (foreign / USA) is +5.857% YTD, and corporate investment account (global small cap, and a lot of cash) is at 3.165% YTD, which gives an overall investment return of +0.563% YTD (+0.753% annualized).

At least it is still (barely) a positive year!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts