Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some people's thoughts on strong (not small cap please) Canadian companies, who they feel are well-positioned for a nice recovery, and currently have attactive dividend yields. Perhaps people have oversold them, book value is higher than stock price, etc. I'm beginning to look in to this myself, but would appreciate any initial leads for me to check out.

The reason I want to stick with Canadian companies is to have this in a leveraged non-reg account, and am looking at a long-term time frame (5+years) to hold the company. Right now, RUS and REI.UN still look attractive to me, with nice yields; I do like FFH as a value stock as well, but the dividend yield makes it less attractive for my leveraged account.

Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks!
fifi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Leveraging with income trusts...

Is tricky because a portion of the dividends is return of capital and does not count as income I believe?

Thus only a percentage of your interest is tax deductible.

I'm not sure of all the details but I think income trusts should be avoided if you are hoping to use the interest from your loan for tax deductions.

I personally like Enbridge (ENB) right now. I think the banks are already priced fairly although their dividends make them very attractive.

HSE? but their dividends can be kind of unpredictable.

CPG.UN will be converting to a corporation soon and plan on maintaining their dividend amount except all of it will be eligible after the conversion.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm looking for some people's thoughts on strong (not small cap please) Canadian companies, who they feel are well-positioned for a nice recovery Right now, RUS and REI.UN still look attractive to me, with nice yields

Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks!
fifi
REI.UN has been discussed at great lengths on these threads

posted eleswhere these Canadian stocks for your review

cwi.un, wrk.un, ax.un, tr.un, ylo.un

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trusts

Right, forgot about the trust problem in non-reg accounts. Thanks for the trust suggestions, but seeing that it will not be in a registered account, I suppose I'm looking for non-trust companies. Search continues, thanks to both of you for your leads though--I'll take anything!
fifi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Swiss Water

I've been tracking Swiss Water Decaf income trust for awhile now. (SWSS-un.to); a couple of years ago it was at ~$10 per share with a .90/unit annual distribution.

The stock price dropped down to ~$4 per share but the distribution is still holding at .90/unit annual distribution (20+% return!).

It's been like this for a few months now. Not sure if the shoe will drop when the new income trust laws kick in 2011 but from the info I've found the company looks solid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TRP, GWO, BCE, FTS, T are all yielding well and have been hit by the down turn in the markets, if I was to only pick one it would be TRP.

wg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Right, forgot about the trust problem in non-reg accounts. Thanks for the trust suggestions, but seeing that it will not be in a registered account, I suppose I'm looking for non-trust companies. Search continues, thanks to both of you for your leads though--I'll take anything!
fifi
you can look through this link that lists all dividend paying stocks Canada & USA

http://www.fulldisclosure.com/dividend.asp?month=20090611&day=20090611&date=20090611&client=cb

You can look by date or by plugging the symbol

also look here

http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/dividend-achievers-list-part-1-the-canadian-list.htm

good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
Might want to have a look at FCE.UN. A nice 12% yield and they are already paying taxes, so transition to corporation in 2011 should have minimal effect. It's a dividend grower as well, so your payouts will increase over time.

The energy services area is a good place to be in - very defensive and not as volatile as an SU or IMO in the oil sector. I also hold a US equivalent, Magellan Midstream Partners (MMP) - excellent dividend grower and the only US stock I have that has held up over the crash.

You can also have a look at IPL.UN. It's had a bit of a run, so I would not consider it as a value play right now. I hold many (almost too many) stocks in my portfolio, and if I had to choose my favourite, this is the one: Low payout ratio, dividend grower, 9% yield and a good bet to maintain distributions after 2011. Picked it up back in Feb. for a song, and added more during a recent equity issue - If a market pullback takes this lower, should load up...good luck to the OP in your quest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
fifi,
Here's my "cdn dividend watch / own list" for my leveraged acct (no income trusts). Maybe a starting point for you.

Symbol Current Yield

CM 6.29%
TD 4.24%
BMO 6.18%
IGM 4.96%
AGF.B 7.52%
POW 4.43%
OCX 0.51%
NA 4.52%
BNS 4.84%
RY 4.35%
CWB 2.65%
PIC.A 12.74%
SLF 4.59%
MFC 4.21%
GWO 5.33%
PWF 5.21%
HSE 3.40%
ENB 3.73%
FTS 4.19%
TRP 4.55%
ECA 2.71%
TA 5.53%
SCL.A 1.22%
TLM 1.27%
CNQ 0.60%
CU 3.93%
EMA 4.87%
SU 0.51%
PCA 1.61%
IMO 0.86%
UEG 11.63%
NXY 0.71%
CNR 2.12%
BBD.B 2.99%
CP 2.19%
ARE 1.60%
TIH 2.51%
SNC 1.38%
BPO 7.34%
KMP 9.12%
RUS 6.23%
ABX 1.20%
G 0.58%
FM 1.37%
CCO 0.77%
L 2.38%
EMP.A 1.49%
SC 1.83%
WN 2.38%
LNF 2.67%
CTC.A 1.59%
RET 5.56%
UVI 14.15%
BCE 6.28%
RCI.B 3.72%
T 5.85%
SJR.B 4.50%
MBT 7.66%
AGU 0.22%
COW 0.43%
POT 0.33%
BVF 13.44%
PTO 9.23%
THI 1.36%

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all!

Wow, thanks so much for sharing all this insight--I'll defintely take a close look at your suggestions--of course, you never know when a correction may occur, and at the same time don't want to wait too long and miss any larger recovery...
A monthly injection of $5000 from my heloc to my non-reg'd account is my plan...
fifi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts