Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby just retired and we received some xtra income for just this year- vacation pay, sick pay. Some of it was able to go straight into our RSP accts, and seeing as how equities are pretty dormant, mostly TD-Bond 1 (some into a balanced fund).
Here's where our retirement $ will come from: gov't, a defined benefit plan somewhat indexed to inflation, RSP accts self-administered(about 150K), RSP $ from an GLWB plan-invested minimum of 25 K., 2 TFSA's so far have about 10 K ea & room for 5K more this year.
Question - we have some money that could not go into the RSP accounts & I'm wondering if I should anchor some of the floating RSP$ with another 25K GLWB plan for the non-reg $. Manulife has 2 - one with the resets (slightly higher fees & more fund choice), and one without that's mainly bond funds.
It would mean forgoing putting the 5X2 $ into the TFSA's. On the other hand, with the GL plan - if we can forgo using the money for a few years, we'll probably get a return of 6 - 7% on the original investment due to the bonus % added to the base. Not too confidant todays market isn't actually poised to go right down the tubes, and for awhile. But - are there other anchors out there at less cost.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
PeeBee, you put the same post in 3 threads, one of which had nothing to do with your question. Please don't do this, it leads to annoying duplication. Please edit out the redundant posts.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry!

Well- 1 post was a mistake - the other didn't garner any replies, so tried to delete, but could only wipe content of post - this site is not really user friendly, so that's the best I could do.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
It is very hard to respond to a post like this without knowing more about your situation.

Are you confident you have enough longevity-protected income to meet your basic needs?

Why would you choose a GMWB - what are your reasons for wanting this product?

What are the "cheaper anchors" (to use your words) that provide longevity-protected income?

Do you understand that you are comparing apples and oranges when you say you are getting a 6-7% return on the GMWB product, compared to a fixed income product? The cash-equivalent yield on these products is usually much closer to about 1%, and this is fairly trivial to prove mathematically.

All this to say I'm not really sure what comments you would expect on your post. You might want some more longevity-protected income, but I have no idea whether you have "enough" now, in your view, or why you would want more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts