Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby just retired and we received some xtra income for just this year- vacation pay, sick pay. Some of it was able to go straight into our RSP accts, and seeing as how equities are pretty dormant, mostly TD-Bond 1 (some into a balanced fund).
Here's where our retirement $ will come from: gov't, a defined benefit plan somewhat indexed to inflation, RSP accts self-administered(about 150K), RSP $ from an GLWB plan-invested minimum of 25 K., 2 TFSA's so far have about 10 K ea & room for 5K more this year.
Question - we have some money that could not go into the RSP accounts & I'm wondering if I should anchor some of the floating RSP$ with another 25K GLWB plan for the non-reg $. Manulife has 2 - one with the resets (slightly higher fees & more fund choice), and one without that's mainly bond funds.
It would mean forgoing putting the 5X2 $ into the TFSA's. On the other hand, with the GL plan - if we can forgo using the money for a few years, we'll probably get a return of 6 - 7% on the original investment due to the bonus % added to the base. Not too confidant todays market isn't actually poised to go right down the tubes, and for awhile. But - are there other anchors out there at less cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
retirement payout

Congratulations on your retirement! According to your post you are very well poised financially to enjoy your retirement. What to do with the "slush"? LOL! SPEND IT! LOL! After you top up your allowable TFSA for this year and next. As well do you intend to wait until 65 to apply for your Canada Pension? I'm assuming you're in your 50's and took a factor 90.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts