Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hello!

There are must be so many posts like mine; I hope you'll bear with me because I'd be very grateful to hear your advice.

I'm new to index investing - aside from reading the Moneysense book and the Boglehead's Guide, where I understand the concept and the basics (and am convinced this is the strategy I will take) - I don't know much else or how to go about deciding my asset allocation.

I'm 26-years old, unemployed and have about $85,000 in assets currently. I'm in transition - trying to figure out a new career whilst travelling for the next year, so don't have any expectations for future salary or when I'll next be able to contribute and my primary goal is to invest in my retirement.

I think I'll need around $25k - $30k for my travelling + buffer as I'd like to move abroad, so would like to keep that ballpark somewhat liquid, and other than that I'm not sure how to allocate.

Retirement Goal: $60,000/year for 30 years (at age 65, in app. 40 years)
Current Assets: $85,000 with $55,000 available for investment
Current Salary: None, with no expectation of future salary amount or timeline.
Asset Allocation: Grateful to hear suggestions! (Also thinking of going with Mutual Funds instead of ETFs for when I begin contributing regularly again?

Also, likely not to be living or retiring in Canada - is this relevant for the markets to invest in? And should my asset allocation change if I live abroad?

Thank you so much! And if you have any resources that you think would be helpful to me in my financial education, I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Given your situation, you shouldn't be investing in equities until you have a job. Once you have a job, I would suggest the following as a very rough guideline:

Your age as a percentage in fixed income and the balance divided equally between broad Canadian, US, International ETFs. For a little more spice you can fit in a percentage of REIT or emerging market ETFs.

But for now, unless you are being totally supported by family, you need access to your money.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hello, hello!

There are must be so many posts like mine; I hope you'll bear with me because I'd be very grateful to hear your advice.

I'm new to index investing - aside from reading the Moneysense book and the Boglehead's Guide, where I understand the concept and the basics (and am convinced this is the strategy I will take) - I don't know much else or how to go about deciding my asset allocation.

I'm 26-years old, unemployed and have about $85,000 in assets currently. I'm in transition - trying to figure out a new career whilst travelling for the next year, so don't have any expectations for future salary or when I'll next be able to contribute and my primary goal is to invest in my retirement.

I think I'll need around $25k - $30k for my travelling + buffer as I'd like to move abroad, so would like to keep that ballpark somewhat liquid, and other than that I'm not sure how to allocate.

Retirement Goal: $60,000/year for 30 years (at age 65, in app. 40 years)
Current Assets: $85,000 with $55,000 available for investment
Current Salary: None, with no expectation of future salary amount or timeline.
Asset Allocation: Grateful to hear suggestions! (Also thinking of going with Mutual Funds instead of ETFs for when I begin contributing regularly again?

Also, likely not to be living or retiring in Canada - is this relevant for the markets to invest in? And should my asset allocation change if I live abroad?

Thank you so much! And if you have any resources that you think would be helpful to me in my financial education, I'd love to hear it!
Planning your retirement at this stage is futile. You do not know your income and job security. You need to wait until you start working for a few years. Your spending today will be completely different 20 years from now, when you may have a spouse and children to support.

Also, if you don't want to live in Canada one day, you may wish to cut all ties in Canada to avoid taxation. You do not want to be locked in long term in some illiquid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts