Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I needed your thoughts,since I am still new to GTA.What are the new & developing citis/communities where I can buy a townhome for 300K,<10 years old and near to Go station.I was looking for 3 Br+1.5,no separate entrance for basement.Appreciate your input.Thanks.

Akhil

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
In that kind of a price range, I would research the end of the various GO lines.

300K sounds like alot of money, but it barely gets you in the RE market now.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
akka, you have been priced out of the GTA market, like so many others.
Not your fault, blame the stupid interest rate policies of the govt.
It will be very hard to find a new(er) townhome in a good neighborhood for 300K.
You may be able to find a smaller townhome like 1500 sq. ft. or so.
Stouffville is a nice area, but it is quite far.
If you work downtown and have a permanent, fixed working hrs. job then it might work for you.
A couple of other places to consider are Cambridge, Guelph and Burlington.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The parking lots at the ends of GO and TTC lines are jammed up after 6AM.

Live as close to work as possible. Getting to work in the GTA is an awful experience.

If you don't believe me, try getting to/from work at your normal weekday work hours, not on a weekend.

Choose your location as close to work as humanly possible. In one of my GTA jobs I simply walked to work. Great exercise and saved a boatload of $ and commuting stress.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
It's honestly depressing with how expensive the housing market is right now. Of course I'm in the market for an up size in the near future. There is no cheap place with affordable housing near transit anymore. The thought of having a 500,000k+ mortgage makes me sick.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
It's honestly depressing with how expensive the housing market is right now. Of course I'm in the market for an up size in the near future. There is no cheap place with affordable housing near transit anymore. The thought of having a 500,000k+ mortgage makes me sick.
I'm in the same boat.
I consider myself fortunate that I was able to buy a home just at the point the market was about to take off (of course, it was a pure chance and not a calculated move).
We'll need to upgrade at some point in the next couple of years, but I feel squeezed out of the market, inspite of a decent appreciation of my current property.
We're looking down the barell of a $300K+ mortgage, at the very least.

Blame the stupid interest rate policy of govt. on both sides of the border that is fuelling this insane speculative market.
Some folks trade houses more often some of us trade stocks !
I wish we could physically relocate some of those vacant houses from the US here into Canada and help bring prices down.

·
Banned
1,119 Posts
That's one of the worst areas to live in Toronto. Malvern. Your neighbours are gang members and most people are associate with crime. Still to pay 300k for that is nuts.
Malvern's not the Bridle Path but it's no Jane/Finch either. There's been a lot of new development there in the last few years and most of the wannabe thugs have left by now because they can't afford to stay there.

In general I think the area around the zoo and southeastern Markham is a good place to find an affordable house.

·
Banned
1,119 Posts
Always look at a police website crime map (if available) when selecting a location in which to live. Why any non-criminal would choose to live in an area ridden with crime is beyond me. Live somewhere else.
Those maps are useless, they show crime in every single neighborhood. Especially in a place like Toronto where you have wealthy supposedly high-class neighborhoods only a 5 minute drive from poor high-crime neighborhoods. You really think a carjacker or burglar from Jane/Finch can't take a 5 minute drive to Willowdale to commit his crimes? If you're worried about crime then you really shouldn't be in Toronto, move to some small town.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I know an area where one side of the street is ghetto, low income housing, and the other side are nicer newer homes and townhouses with a green park. One time there was a shooting and the victim ran over to the nicer area to sprawl and die. I decided that I wouldn't live in a nicer area so close to the ghetto.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
^^ not in malvern, area was bad, clearly transitional now, they built a giant shopping mall right at the corner of Lawrence and Kingston and it's next door to Port Union a very nice area.

All in all this is one area I expect will appreciate in price because of gentrification.

·
Banned
7 Posts
I'm partial to Pickering, Ajax and Whitby. We purchased our first home in Ajax and now we live in Whitby. I drive into Yonge and Sheppard every day. Takes about 45 minutes one way. I really don't mind the travel, except when there is a snow storm. The area we live in is very family centric and everyone is quite friendly.

There is a new townhouse development by the Pickering go station - I think they were selling for 288K, but I'm not sure. There are also some condo towers there too but I'm not sure what the name of the development is. They are also in the process of beginning to decommission Pickering nuclear starting in 2012.

Take Care

1 - 20 of 48 Posts