Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
arrrgh!,,more trouble......
while i was fiddling around with the above, i decided to do a virus scan....
anyway, that led me to my User Accounts area, and i noticed i have 3 user accounts .... i started fiddling with the "account type" section -Standard or Administrator- passwords etc. ......and Ive somehow shagged THAT up too now!
I cant recall what i did, but..
I now have to sign in with a password everytime, which i never did before...
but the other thing is...
now when i go to make any changes, like uninstalling a program, or anything, i get a popup:
"User Account Control
Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?
(then it shows the prog. name etc) and next line:
To continue, type an administrator password, and click Yes."
BUT! the Yes box is grayed out (cant click it)
AND there is nowhere to type in an administrator password!!

Ive been all afternoon trying to google solutions to this with no luck!
Its a catch-22 situation because if i want to make changes i apparently need to enter a password, but theres nowhere to enter a password!

what the heck have i done NOW!!

the den window is open & the darn computer is about to go out thru it!!

any suggestions??

(and humble...no "I told you so's" !!)

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
... It looks like this one on my system, mine contains no DNS instructions to override the DNS server ...
My understanding is that Microsoft build into Windows to check the Hosts file first and only after failing to find what it needs, the OS moves on to whatever DNS server(s) have been defined. Until one updates the file as one needs to, what is provided is a commented out template that is documenting the syntax but has no mappings setup and no need for instructions to over ride.

A different OS may require redirection or special instructions.

... The hosts file is a protected system file so it is difficult to edit ...
... yes it would be ...
Actually it's more tedious than anything.

The account has to admin rights (ex. start Notepad with "Run as administrator") and depending on the setup, one might also have to confirm one wants to be changing the system. I'm using Win 10 and don't remember off the top of my head what a Win 7 home setup is like.

This Microsoft support article on resetting the hosts file back to the default gives the basic steps (i.e. paste what jdc provided overtop of whatever is there to effectively reset the contents). Depending on the security setup, using an admin account and/or confirming that changes are intended might also be required.

Personally, I'd:
a) make a copy of what seems to be the corrupted hosts file (including marking down the date time stamp).
b) follow Microsoft's procedure.
c) reboot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

... i for one would never attempt something like this ...
To each their own ... but as long as one has the ability to reset the hosts file *and* it is all one touches, it is not that big of a change.

Kind of like putting one of those stick on blind spot mirrors on your car. As long as you don't stick it in moving engine parts or into the gas tank - the possible problems aren't catastrophic.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
anyway, that led me to my User Accounts area, and i noticed i have 3 user accounts .... i started fiddling with the "account type" section -Standard or Administrator- passwords ...
Sounds like you are making too many changes at once. Been there, done that and have the scars.

... now when i go to make any changes, like uninstalling a program, or anything, i get a popup:
"User Account Control
Are all three accounts behaving the same way?
Or is one of them still an administrator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNdx5Q1jKJo
https://www.isunshare.com/windows-password/lost-administrator-rights-in-windows.html
https://www.4winkey.com/enable-windows-7-default-administrator-account.html

Cheers

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
anyway, that led me to my User Accounts area, and i noticed i have 3 user accounts .... i started fiddling with the "account type" section -Standard or Administrator- passwords ...
Sounds like you are making too many changes at once. Been there, done that and have the scars. :frown:

... now when i go to make any changes, like uninstalling a program, or anything, i get a popup:
"User Account Control
Are all three accounts behaving the same way?
Or is one of them still an administrator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNdx5Q1jKJo
https://www.isunshare.com/windows-password/lost-administrator-rights-in-windows.html
https://www.4winkey.com/enable-windows-7-default-administrator-account.html

Cheers

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
...ok...bit of an update...
I've managed to find the Admin account I deleted. Its still listed under users at C:\Users...
but, its got a little "padlock" (locked?0 on the file foler icon (my other user accounts do not)
I've tried to get it unlocked by going to Manage Advanced Sharing Settings, and turning OFF Password Protected Sharing..
but that just brings back that annoying pop-up asking me to enter an Admin Password gain..where there's NO Place to enter a password! So. I CAN'T make any changes!
Any suggestions what I should do now? (at least I've FOUND the deleted Admin Account!)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
...ok...bit of an update...
I've managed to find the Admin account I deleted. Its still listed under users at C:\Users...
but, its got a little "padlock" (locked?0 on the file foler icon (my other user accounts do not)
I've tried to get it unlocked by going to Manage Advanced Sharing Settings, and turning OFF Password Protected Sharing..
but that just brings back that annoying pop-up asking me to enter an Admin Password gain..where there's NO Place to enter a password! So. I CAN'T make any changes!
Any suggestions what I should do now? (at least I've FOUND the deleted Admin Account!)
Here's a couple options that allow you to access the Admin account through Safe Mode. One of the reasons they disable your access is that you might mess something up, but you seem to have tried everything else.

ltr

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You get this in SAFE MODE also?

Did you try booting in SAFE MODE as shown in my link?

ltr
hoo boy!!
cannot get into safe Mode using F8... machine starts up...then says "system is starting...to interrupt, press enter"
when i press enter it takes be to a "Startup Interrupt Menu" screen
with option for Normal start, BIOS, Temp. Start Menu, & some kind Mgt screen
nothing about Safe Mode???
this is a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad BTW .......bad?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
thanks ltr
i did try that already..
msconfig brings me back around to that darn prompt asking for a password! cant go any futher!
Darn, too bad. A lot of these companies have their own little tricks in the firmware and they also modify Windows in ways unknown to you. I suppose your next step might be to go to a shop that could correct the small problem for minimum cash, or you may need to wait for a sale and look for a Windows 10 machine.

ltr

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hey Jargey,

Just a shot in the dark here......

The HOSTS file is a local file where you can map domain names to IP addresses.
It overrides your DNS server.
On my system, I just added a bogus entry (192.192.192.192) to map to youtube.com
Once I did that I was still able to do a successful nslookup on youtube.com but I was unable to reach youtube in a browser.
So that indicates my browser (Chrome) is going to my HOSTS file to find youtube's address first, before going to my DNS server.
Possibly, Mailwasher messed with the HOSTS file on your system.
So maybe check the timestamp on your HOSTS file to see if it has been modified recently.
It resides in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Let us know what the timestamp says.

Joe
to Joebaba (OR ANYONE ELSE?)- Re TIMESTAMP???
ok...under the Users folder, I clicked one called Owner
this opened up a bunch of other folders, but the first one was called ".oracle_jre_usage"
when I clicked on this it showed this information:
Name: cce3fe3b0d8d8002.timestamp
Type: TIMESTAMP File
and the dated modified appears to be around the date this problem started
I tried to open it, but got a message the "windows cannot open this file.needs to know what program you want to use to open it." gives me the option 2 a) go online to look up the correct program , or b)select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer.
whats this all about ? & what should I do here?
any help?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts