Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
... removing the other address that was likely causing your problem. 192.168.0.1 is your router address, which is fine.

what other address????

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think MY IP address is ok....it's YOUTUBE's IP address i cant access?????

(gettin' confused here:bi_polo::distrust::hororr:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
"Use the instructions on Microsoft's site to set the DHCP and DNS settings to obtain the IP address and DNS server address automatically."

I've already set the ipv4 & ipv6 setting to "automatic'
Is this what you mean?
is there something else i need to do?

not sure i fully understand....
No that's good, you're in the right place. Is the DNS server settings in ipv4 & ipv6 settings also set to automatic?

If it is and you are still having problems, try changing the DNS settings for IPV4 to cloudflare:

For IPV6, use:
2606:4700:4700::1111
2606:4700:4700::1001

Apply these, it should work again. If not, open a command window and flush the DNS cache in a command window like this:

ipconfig /flushdns

... or reboot.

If this doesn't work, I don't really know what will.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think MY IP address is ok....it's YOUTUBE's IP address i cant access?????
Yeah, the DNS (dynamic name server) is what "finds" youtube.com and translates it to an IP address... for some reason your DNS settings isn't able to because of leftover settings from the spam protection program that you previously installed. We're just setting it to a correct value.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No that's good, you're in the right place. Is the DNS server settings in ipv4 & ipv6 settings also set to automatic?

If it is and you are still having problems, try changing the DNS settings for IPV4 to cloudflare:

For IPV6, use:
2606:4700:4700::1111
2606:4700:4700::1001

Apply these, it should work again. If not, open a command window and flush the DNS cache in a command window like this:

ipconfig /flushdns

... or reboot.

If this doesn't work, I don't really know what will.....
OK...tried all of that....NO LUCK ...:apologetic:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Jergey,

From a command prompt type
nslookup youtube.com

and report the results.

And then type
nslookup tsn.ca (or any other website that works)
and also report the results.

Joe

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Hey Jergey,

From a command prompt type
nslookup youtube.com

and report the results.

And then type
nslookup tsn.ca (or any other website that works)
and also report the results.

Joe
youtube.com results:
Server: one.one.one.one
Address: 2606:4700:4700::1111
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: youtube.com
Addresses: 2607:f8b0:400b:809::200e

tsn.ca reults:
Server: one.one.one.one
Address: 2606:4700:4700::1111
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: tsn.ca
Address: 199.85.71.128

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Jargey,

Just a shot in the dark here......

The HOSTS file is a local file where you can map domain names to IP addresses.
It overrides your DNS server.
On my system, I just added a bogus entry (192.192.192.192) to map to youtube.com
Once I did that I was still able to do a successful nslookup on youtube.com but I was unable to reach youtube in a browser.
So that indicates my browser (Chrome) is going to my HOSTS file to find youtube's address first, before going to my DNS server.
Possibly, Mailwasher messed with the HOSTS file on your system.
So maybe check the timestamp on your HOSTS file to see if it has been modified recently.
It resides in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Let us know what the timestamp says.

Joe

·
Registered
116 Posts
joe this is going to sound stupid but...how do i get to
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc ?

Im using Windows 7, BTW.
I agree with Joe that your hosts file may have been changed. Choose "My Computer" or "This PC" if it is on your desktop, then "C\", etc.... If you don't have an icon on your desktop, open Windows Explorer and look for one of those items there.

If it has been changed recently, you can look at it by right-clicking the file and opening it with Notepad. Look for any lines that do not start with a "#", which are ignored. It looks like this one on my system, mine contains no DNS instructions to override the DNS server. If you have anything else in there that isn't commented, let us know. The hosts file is a protected system file so it is difficult to edit, but perhaps Joe or I can guide you through that if there is something that shouldn't be there.

My hosts file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Jargey,

As JDC said, open Windows Explorer – double click on the C: in the left hand pane – then double click on the “Windows” folder in the right hand pane – then on the system32 folder – then on the drivers folder, then on the etc folder. Then you should see a “hosts” file along with a few other files.

Another way is to open a Command prompt then enter
cd \
cd windows
cd system32
cd drivers
cd etc
dir
that should list all the files in the “etc” folder, and you should see a file called “hosts”, and you can check the timestamp.

Joe

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
thanks guys.
when i get to the hosts file, it asks what program i wan to use to open the file.(theres a number of programs listed)
which should i choose? does it matter?

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks guys.
when i get to the hosts file, it asks what program i wan to use to open the file.(theres a number of programs listed)
which should i choose? does it matter?
Hey Jargey,

As others have mentioned, you can view/edit it with Notepad.
But if you haven't already done that, first take note of the timestamp. It will be of interest as to when it was last updated.

Joe

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I agree with Joe that your hosts file may have been changed. Choose "My Computer" or "This PC" if it is on your desktop, then "C\", etc.... If you don't have an icon on your desktop, open Windows Explorer and look for one of those items there.

If it has been changed recently, you can look at it by right-clicking the file and opening it with Notepad. Look for any lines that do not start with a "#", which are ignored. It looks like this one on my system, mine contains no DNS instructions to override the DNS server. If you have anything else in there that isn't commented, let us know. The hosts file is a protected system file so it is difficult to edit, but perhaps Joe or I can guide you through that if there is something that shouldn't be there.

My hosts file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

lost in admiration :peach:

the hosts file is difficult to edit
yes it would be, i for one would never attempt something like this

if jargey doesn't have a software service contract - sounds like he doesn't - & if he doesn't like his local computer repair shops, there are software repair services that can connect to one's machine & repair it long-distance.

sorry i can't recommend any though. I tried one once & had to stop him, he was about to install a "patch" but my problem wasn't serious enough to allow a stranger to install any old "patch" he felt like.

jargey your IP provider & also your security system manufacturer - if you have one installed - can also connect long-distance to your machine. Either could probably work on your problem for a fee.

it might turn out that you need a new windows 7 reformat. This is a big job. But i'm concerned by this stuff about System Restore not working for you.

perhaps proceed in baby steps? perhaps guided by The Amazing jdc plus The Amazing onlyMO, jargey could drill down to his hosts file & report what's there. Then go by baby steps after that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Jargey,

As JDC said, open Windows Explorer – double click on the C: in the left hand pane – then double click on the “Windows” folder in the right hand pane – then on the system32 folder – then on the drivers folder, then on the etc folder. Then you should see a “hosts” file along with a few other files.

Another way is to open a Command prompt then enter
cd \
cd windows
cd system32
cd drivers
cd etc
dir
that should list all the files in the “etc” folder, and you should see a file called “hosts”, and you can check the timestamp.

Joe

If you find the file using the command window per Joe's instructions, make a note of the date of the file when you do the "DIR" command, then type "TYPE hosts" to view the file.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts