Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im trying to get this problem solved. been on the youtube website, not much help. thought id toss it out here to see if anyone canhelp.
i was attempting to install an email spam filter program (mailwasher) on my desktop, but ran into problems with the server & port information. I may? have changed some of my computer settings...i dont know,
anyway i gave up & uninstalled the program.
now, just after doing that, when trying to connect to youtube, i get this message:
""This site can’t be reached
www.youtube.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN "
and i cant connect.
never had problem before, and i seem to be able to connect to any other site...
and, i can stll get youtube on my ipad, but not on my deaktop.
so im guessing it has something to do with the program i was trying to install..
im using windows 7, and Chrome browser (cant connect on IE either)
any help/ suggestions from the experts would be much appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Im trying to get this problem solved. been on the youtube website, not much help. thought id toss it out here to see if anyone canhelp.
i was attempting to install an email spam filter program (mailwasher) on my desktop, but ran into problems with the server & port information. I may? have changed some of my computer settings...i dont know,
anyway i gave up & uninstalled the program.
now, just after doing that, when trying to connect to youtube, i get this message:
""This site can’t be reached
www.youtube.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN "
and i cant connect.
never had problem before, and i seem to be able to connect to any other site...
and, i can stll get youtube on my ipad, but not on my deaktop.
so im guessing it has something to do with the program i was trying to install..
im using windows 7, and Chrome browser (cant connect on IE either)
any help/ suggestions from the experts would be much appreciated! thanks
It can't find the name in the nameserver, you can try waiting, rebooting, or removing and reinstalling your network drivers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does it work if you type youtube.com in the browser location bar (not using a link)?

If you open a command window and type:
ping youtube.com

Do you see:

Pinging youtube.com [172.217.14.206] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 172.217.14.206:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 13ms

If so, your DNS is working okay and you just have a bad link that you are trying to use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does it work if you type youtube.com in the browser location bar (not using a link)?

If you open a command window and type:
ping youtube.com

Do you see:

Pinging youtube.com [172.217.14.206] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.14.206: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 172.217.14.206:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 13ms

If so, your DNS is working okay and you just have a bad link that you are trying to use.
If you get a result with a different IP address (not 172.217.14.206) or an error like this:

Ping request could not find host youtube.com. Please check the name and try again.

.... then it is a problem either with your name server or your hosts file (which I suppose could have been altered by the program that you tried to install).

·
Registered
116 Posts
... and while you're in the command prompt, you might as well look to see what your nameserver (DNS) settings are.

Type:
ipconfig /all

... a big report of your network settings will be displayed. Look for the line like this:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

It should show the IP of your router (like mine above), the ones supplied by your internet service provider, or the ones from google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or the better choice Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1)

Feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
jargey if you still have the problem & you continue to believe it arises from the recent anti-spam install, perhaps you could try a windows System Restore to prior date point. You'd choose a date immediately prior to the anti-spam install which gave you doubts.

iirc you'd find system restore under accessories. It's easy to use. It won't delete or alter any files.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
It sounds like the spam filter changed your dns setting. It probably redirected it to one the company uses to help filter out “bad” spammers. It’s not uncommon for those lists to have a few gals positives on them.

I’d go into your network setting and reset your dns to the ones your service provider recommends.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you get a result with a different IP address (not 172.217.14.206) or an error like this:

Ping request could not find host youtube.com. Please check the name and try again.

.... then it is a problem either with your name server or your hosts file (which I suppose could have been altered by the program that you tried to install).
jdc: Tried as you suggested....got the message: Ping could not find host youtube.com. Pleasecheck the name and try again"

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... and while you're in the command prompt, you might as well look to see what your nameserver (DNS) settings are.

Type:
ipconfig /all

... a big report of your network settings will be displayed. Look for the line like this:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

It should show the IP of your router (like mine above), the ones supplied by your internet service provider, or the ones from google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or the better choice Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1)

Feel free to PM me.
jdc: did this....yes got long report...
"DNS SERVERS......2607:fea8:d55f:f18a:f2f2:49ff:fe03:f982

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have also tried a number of other "solutions" offered up on google.......with no luck....
any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jargey if you still have the problem & you continue to believe it arises from the recent anti-spam install, perhaps you could try a windows System Restore to prior date point. You'd choose a date immediately prior to the anti-spam install which gave you doubts.

iirc you'd find system restore under accessories. It's easy to use. It won't delete or alter any files.
humble, tried this, got error msg.
"System restore does not appear to be funtioning correcly on this system.
A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information. (0x80042302)"
Ive had problems with system restore prior to this...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Use the instructions on Microsoft's site to set the DHCP and DNS settings to obtain the IP address and DNS server address automatically.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15089/windows-change-tcp-ip-settings

This should reset things to use the settings provided by your ISP or (in your case) your router. The router probably already uses your ISP settings and has not been changed.

Once you do this, the ipconfig report will probably say:
DNS SERVERS...... 192.168.0.1

... removing the other address that was likely causing your problem. 192.168.0.1 is your router address, which is fine.

This should be fix the problem, but if you wish, you could change the DNS servers to google or cloudflare as mentioned above for better performance.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Use the instructions on Microsoft's site to set the DHCP and DNS settings to obtain the IP address and DNS server address automatically."

I've already set the ipv4 & ipv6 setting to "automatic'
Is this what you mean?
is there something else i need to do?

not sure i fully understand....

1 - 20 of 65 Posts