Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I so done with this renewal bs. I moved my rental mortgage over to tangerine who always have great posted rates. 1.74 for 5 year and 1.59 for 3 year, or p-1.00% (1.45%) for variable. All with 25% annual prepayment privileges.

Best thing is - no negotiating or calls.
Consider a Mortgage Broker. They will do the negotiating for you ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Consider a Mortgage Broker. They will do the negotiating for you ;)
With that comes requalifying and the headache of providing all the documents, appraisals, etc. Renewing is just a phone call.

Plus my broker couldn't even beat tangerines posted rates.

Anytime I can cut out a parasitic middle man, I do. No offense intended to the mortgage brokers out there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
With that comes requalifying and the headache of providing all the documents, appraisals, etc. Renewing is just a phone call.
Totally true. And it is exactly why many banks don't straight up offer their best rates for renewals. Many people are OK going the easy path of accepting the bank's offer with no effort on their side. Nothing wrong with that, but we can't blame the bank.

I am in the process of renewing my own mortgage right now, and 1.74% fixed 5 yrs is not the best deal there is. I'm looking at 1.49%/1.59% at MCAP right now (uninsured, 5yr fixed, 1.49% is the veeeery restrictive value-flex product, 1.59% for the regular product). Through a broker. Of course YMMV.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts