Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for your advice on mortgage renewal as my bank is suggesting I should proceed.

I am with one of the 5 big banks and he is my current mortgage status:

Mortgage remaining: $212,000
Mortgage term: 5-year fixed
Current interest rate: 2.79%
Current semi-monthly payment: $980
Current extra payment: I am making $800-$1000 extra payments towards my mortgage with my goal to pay it off in exactly 5 years from now.

The same bank called me and offered me 1.70% 5-year fixed.

Mortgage penalty for breaking the current contract: $5,300, confirmed by the bank.
Any other fees: none (according to the bank, this is a renewal not a re-finance)

When I plug in the numbers into calculator online, even with the penalty, I save about $2,500 total.

Am I missing something? Should I proceed or stay put. I feel like I should proceed. I did notice that if I continue to make extra payment as I am doing now, the savings from moving to lower interest rate decreases.

Thought?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think CIBC is offering [email protected] fixed and also offering 2k cash back. Usually same lender will not give you the best deal.. First get the deal from another bank ,lock the rate and switch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, 1.49 5 year fixed is an amazing rate. You are correct, I should not rush it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi, I am looking for your advice on mortgage renewal as my bank is suggesting I should proceed.

Current extra payment: I am making $800-$1000 extra payments towards my mortgage with my goal to pay it off in exactly 5 years from now.

Mortgage penalty for breaking the current contract: $5,300, confirmed by the bank.
Any other fees: none (according to the bank, this is a renewal not a re-finance)

When I plug in the numbers into calculator online, even with the penalty, I save about $2,500 total.

Am I missing something? Should I proceed or stay put. I feel like I should proceed. I did notice that if I continue to make extra payment as I am doing now, the savings from moving to lower interest rate decreases.

Thought?
You're nearing the end of your 5 yr fixed term and wanting to renew, correct? If it's a renewal why the penalty?
I don't think you need to concern yourself with keeping your bank anonymous. Which bank?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its BMO.
I am 2 years into a 5 year fixed contract. I called the bank for something completely different and the agent aaid i am paying a lot higher interest and they can offer a conpetitive rate. Thats how it got started. The penalty is lower than i expected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another strange thing is that when i plug all the numbers into BMo mortgage prepayment calculator, it tells me my penalty will be 12k but BMO on the phone says $5,300. What do i believe ha

·
Registered
823 Posts
I expect the bank is correct and just ask them to confirm the penalty and maybe even ask them how it was calculated. The mortgages often refer to "the greater of" ??? mos interest penalty and other is the interest rate differential. You could also check the terms yourself in your current mortgage. You would have to calculate the savings on the CIBC rate carefully as the savings would only apply to the reducing amount of your mortgage which would be quite minimal in the latter years. You may also need to get a new appraisal and I expect there would be legal and discharge fees. Can't believe the CIBC or even your rate-wow!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
From what I recall there can be a difference in penalty with an early renewal vs a discharge.
i would ask your current bank what the penalty is to discharge. That will clarify the penalty to switch and also give your existing lender the idea that you’re ready to move if they don’t match The CIBC offer. Both offers look to save you money. Do you have the $5300 handy if you decide to stay put?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ask what the rates for the 4yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr and open variable rate are.

If BMO is approaching you to make this offer, tell him to waive all penalties.

I have never held mortgages longer than 3 years. The shorter the term, the more flexibility just like the one offered to you.

Generally longer term mortgages have higher rates for the benefit of the financial institution, not the customer.

Just think. If you compare two people, one with a 5 yr mortgage and the other with a 1 yr mortgage at a low rate, if the interest rates keep going up, by the tine the 1 yr rate catches up to the 5 yr rate, the renewal fir the 5 yr rate would jump up proportionally anyways.

If the 1 yr rate surpasses the 5 yr rate, all the money saved by the 1 yr rate would cancel out the extra money over the 5 yr rate.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
To see if it’s worth it, you need to calculate the interest you will be saving for the next 3 years and not 5 years. Subtract the penalty and if your still positive, it may be worth it.
something tells me the penalty they quoted you is off. Given the extra low rates, the IRD is large so the online penalty of 12k seems more likely. In any case, I would suspect you won’t even save $5300 in the next 3 years.
Given you are making additional payments, I would structure the payments so that you can still get it paid off in a suitable timeframe

·
Registered
432 Posts
To see if it’s worth it, you need to calculate the interest you will be saving for the next 3 years and not 5 years. Subtract the penalty and if your still positive, it may be worth it.
something tells me the penalty they quoted you is off. Given the extra low rates, the IRD is large so the online penalty of 12k seems more likely. In any case, I would suspect you won’t even save $5300 in the next 3 years.
Given you are making additional payments, I would structure the payments so that you can still get it paid off in a suitable timeframe
Question. The op indicates they intend to pay off the mortgage completely over the next 5 years. Do you think a blend and extend back out 5 yrs with the lower rate might be advisable? If 3 yrs from now they want another 2 yrs locked in, 2 year rates are usually not optimal like the special 5 yr rates.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Question. The op indicates they intend to pay off the mortgage completely over the next 5 years. Do you think a blend and extend back out 5 yrs with the lower rate might be advisable? If 3 yrs from now they want another 2 yrs locked in, 2 year rates are usually not optimal like the special 5 yr rates.
Absolutely. A blended rate would be ideal here. You can blend to the remaining term. Or blend with a new term. Personally, I would blend with a remaining term. At renewal, it doesn’t matter the term since making extra payments will still allow you to payoff the mortgage before term without penalty.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Absolutely. A blended rate would be ideal here. You can blend to the remaining term. Or blend with a new term. Personally, I would blend with a remaining term. At renewal, it doesn’t matter the term since making extra payments will still allow you to payoff the mortgage before term without penalty.
I understand blend and extend. How does blend to remaining term work?

·
Registered
432 Posts

Thought?
Blend and extend or blend to existing term would likely prevent you having to fork out big penalty fees but still provide some reduction in your interest rate.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think that sounds too good to be true. An almost unheard of rate from a big bank, plus cash back?
that sounds about right. 1.49% is very common especially for insured loans and not impossible for conventional loans either. Banks are very aggressive these days given the huge demand for mortgages and attractive spreads on interest rates. Cash back is just their cost to acquire business. A mortgage broker will get paid 1% of the loan amount so $2000 cash back in branch is a lot less than what they would pay a broker. Some lenders are offering the commission AND the cash back.
crazy times indeed!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
that sounds about right. 1.49% is very common especially for insured loans and not impossible for conventional loans either. Banks are very aggressive these days given the huge demand for mortgages and attractive spreads on interest rates. Cash back is just their cost to acquire business. A mortgage broker will get paid 1% of the loan amount so $2000 cash back in branch is a lot less than what they would pay a broker. Some lenders are offering the commission AND the cash back.
crazy times indeed!!
wow. I wonder how much mortgage size has to do with this? I was calling TD to renew my parents mortgage and they were like "yep, we can give you 1.89% just like the website says".

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
wow. I wonder how much mortgage size has to do with this? I was calling TD to renew my parents mortgage and they were like "yep, we can give you 1.89% just like the website says".
Some may have loan size restrictions. But in general, lenders will offer better rates to new customers instead of existing clients. Do your homework for your parents mortgage and negotiate, albeit, 1.89% is still a good rate for a renewal. I am sure they can do better though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Some may have loan size restrictions. But in general, lenders will offer better rates to new customers instead of existing clients. Do your homework for your parents mortgage and negotiate, albeit, 1.89% is still a good rate for a renewal. I am sure they can do better though.
I so done with this renewal bs. I moved my rental mortgage over to tangerine who always have great posted rates. 1.74 for 5 year and 1.59 for 3 year, or p-1.00% (1.45%) for variable. All with 25% annual prepayment privileges.

Best thing is - no negotiating or calls.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts