Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
I think it should have been aviator and sailor for a very long time. It truly does sound better no matter what.
Think of all the lost seaman jokes ... just saying. :)

But really, do we need to change these titles?

If we do then how about we start from the top with these changes ...
Currently we have male and female, man and woman.

So to make a clear distinction how about male and fe and man and wo?

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
I just don't see the need to differentiate 'status', 'rank', or 'title' by gender. Policeman/policewoman is just as bad. They are simply police officers, constables, peace officers, etc. by trade and position. Ww call bus drivers...bus drivers, security guards.....security guards. Nuff said.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
If you look at most organizations policies and websites etc I think you will find they often chose gender neutral terms already (eg postal worker, mail carrier vs postman etc) Even though many boomers still use the old terms out of habit it's not a big deal. Changing the documentation is what's important so the next generation can just move on

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The Navy probably should have just changed it and not bothered to ask anyone's opinion. We don't call female police officers "Policeman Rhonda Jones" as an official position title. The story was how many needlessly hateful comments came out of it. Not a big deal, time to move on.

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Navy probably should have just changed it and not bothered to ask anyone's opinion.
The public's "vote" is not committing them to anything. They are seeking input, and the poll is not very serious.

I think it shows that the Navy and Canadian Armed Forces are actually quite modern and progressive. This is great... interacting with the public, modernizing some archaic terms.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
This post on reddit was interesting (the Admiral who posted to facebook messaged a guy on reddit)

The US military leadership has been very active on reddit. For example some reddit posters got invited to the pentagon. I think they get more authentic feedback this way

The space force updates are being streamed on facebook live of all things. Heck I get my intel from twitter nowadays

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The Navy probably should have just changed it and not bothered to ask anyone's opinion. We don't call female police officers "Policeman Rhonda Jones" as an official position title. The story was how many needlessly hateful comments came out of it. Not a big deal, time to move on.
I'll just speculate, but I imagine that it is for publicity. While I doubt that the fact that RCN personnel are called seaman is an impediment for recruitment, the fact that the most traditional branch of the CAF is willing to change with the times may resonate with this generation. I believe that the RCN is one of the hardest hit when it comes to recruitment. While we talk about getting new ships, one of the elephants in the room is the fact there aren't enough personnel to crew them effectively.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
No zoomer wants a job without wifi

Starlink will have them updating tiktok from sea soon enough

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'll just speculate, but I imagine that it is for publicity. While I doubt that the fact that RCN personnel are called seaman is an impediment for recruitment, the fact that the most traditional branch of the CAF is willing to change with the times may resonate with this generation. I believe that the RCN is one of the hardest hit when it comes to recruitment. While we talk about getting new ships, one of the elephants in the room is the fact there aren't enough personnel to crew them effectively.
Well, believe it or not, but the Royal Canadian Navy has been actively trying to improve recruitment for years. Because of many of the changes, they have actually appeared on a number of national "Top 100 Employer" lists because of efforts to improve working conditions, quality of life, and attractiveness of the job.

It's hard to stay on top of this and be attractive for talent and competitive with the Shopify's of the world when you have a number of archaic traditions that need to change, and that won't at all impact anyone's ability to be proud of what they do.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well, believe it or not, but the Royal Canadian Navy has been actively trying to improve recruitment for years. Because of many of the changes, they have actually appeared on a number of national "Top 100 Employer" lists because of efforts to improve working conditions, quality of life, and attractiveness of the job.

It's hard to stay on top of this and be attractive for talent and competitive with the Shopify's of the world when you have a number of archaic traditions that need to change, and that won't at all impact anyone's ability to be proud of what they do.
Not sure about recent efforts, but there are 2 articles about the issue of recruitment and retention. The main stumbling block probably is the nature of the job, i.e. being at sea for months at a time.
Royal Canadian Navy culture a barrier to recruitment efforts: retired commander
Sailor shortage causing headaches for Royal Canadian Navy

21 - 30 of 30 Posts