Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Without Bluetooth how do you connect to your car's computer to receive all your texts, email, phone calls, and listen to your music while driving?
I don't need Bluetooth to read email or texts...they come to my phone and I check them when I stop. All my music is on a 64gig USB drive. If the phone rings when I'm driving they can leave a message and I'll get back to them.

My phone is for my convenience...I use it when I want and when it's safe and convenient.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Heck, I thought you millennial types were connected all the time, and now I find everyone shuts everything off.

I have everything turned on all the time, then I don't have to think about it. I pick up my earphone buds and they connect, I get in my car and it connects. No fuss.
More important than being a millennial, I work in computer security. The one thing you learn in security is that more interfaces = more danger.

Each additional interface that's turned on (mobile data, wifi, bluetooth, NFC, GPS, even wi-fi tethering hot spot) creates additional privacy and security risks. Many of these protocols are incredibly complex and have all kinds of subtle vulnerabilities.

Bluetooth has a pretty bad security track record, and I would not walk around with Bluetooth turned on.

Most Android phones can be hacked via Bluetooth right now: What to do

How to prevent your phone from getting hacked
In that case, Ruge has some advice.

One, he wrote, "only enable Bluetooth if strictly necessary. Keep in mind that most Bluetooth-enabled headphones also support wired analog audio."

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
All I know is that I firmly believe that Donald Trump is currently President of the United States, almost solely due to his very resourceful sub contracted advisor's (Cambridge Analytica) strategically using internet data, tracked from all American's via websites like facebook, google, etc.

When a guy like DT can actually become the leader of the largest economic and military power in the world, you have to believe that this data can be used in a very dangerous way...and due to those benefits, definitely will be. This is a lot more then just getting you to buy a particular brand of refrigerator.

Just be aware of it. This tracking all sounds so benign but it is not. and yes, I am certainly paranoid. I mean...Donald Trump...really? Think about it. That is certainly powerful stuff and obviously very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Trump used readily available internet data.

Hillary also used readily available internet data plus had help from Obama, the FBI, the DOJ, Hollywood, celebrities, musicians, talk show hosts, and 90% of the media.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Exactly. Therefore it is dangerous to allow this data to be readily available or sold to the highest bidder. It is powerful stuff and needs to be protected as such.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exactly. Therefore it is dangerous to allow this data to be readily available or sold to the highest bidder. It is powerful stuff and needs to be protected as such.
I feel like there's a strong degree of personal accountability here too, not just at the corporate level. Facebook collects and leverages your data - but you don't have to use Facebook. Google does it too - but you don't have to use Google products. I'm subscribed to both platforms but I'm also aware of the data risks, if I was truly looking to be off the grid I wouldn't use these services at all. Now, obviously data analytics is becoming such an all-encompassing field that every company looking to stay competitive is doing it, but there are so many different measures you can take at the consumer level (at the expense of convenience of course) to protect your data. At the end of the day, using these services is a privilege not a right.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I don’t worry about privacy too much......I’m sure I’m under-informed though.

for those who say “well, I don’t use Facebook” or any other program. I learned something. I asked Facebook for all the data they had on me. One surprising thing they had was all the names and phone numbers stored on my phone’s contact list. So FB had the name and phone number for people who have never used FB.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
These sites may be a privilege perhaps but google is getting closer to a necessity these days and for many, facebook is soon becoming one of them.

What they need to do is at least create laws surrounding what data can be collected and how it must be secured and what can be done with it. First, however, people need to be made aware of how powerful this data can be, in the wrong hands. I will reiterate again. Donald Trump is currently the President of the United States. Think about that reality for a minute. How do you think that could happen? Everyone liked his platform? Please, think again! His people used internet data to effectively manipulate the "persuadables" since it is the persuadables that tend to determine the outcome of most elections. Persuadables are the very large group of people, without much political interest, but wrongfully believe that it is everyone's duty to vote no matter what. So they do. These people don't know it but they are very easily manipulated and they were. That is how Donald Trump won the election. This is very powerful stuff...and very dangerous.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I think perhaps a little more understanding is required here to get a feel for how this type of thing is done. As I said, elections tend to swing with the persuadables. A persuadable is someone who has very little interest in politics and few political views. A very large group of citizens indeed.

Lets take an example of a facebook user. This user has no political opinion. They post many pictures about their dog. They talk about their mother in a nursing home and they post a picture of their partner who just happens to be the same gender as them. So what does that tell us and what can be done with that?

As we get closer to the election, this user will magically start receiving political ads on Facebook. An ad talking about how Joe Biden supported a bill to ban dogs running in dog parks without a leash. The ad never mentioned that this was specific to Pitbulls who had a history of vicious behaviour, but that was not the point. Later they recieve an ad about Biden supporting a bill to ban homosexuals in the military or same sex weddings. etc. Another ad shows Donald Trump hugging his dog and mentioning that he supports better care in Nursing homes. There might even be a picture of another dog of the same breed as our facebook users, in the background, to capture their attention so they actually look at the ad. That other dog was never in that picture before.

Election day comes and although this facebook user doesn't have much of an opinion on politics, he votes because he believes it to be his civic duty and although he is not sold on Donald Trump for some reason he really does not like the other guy and the "X" goes right beside Donald Trumps name. Now multiply that by millions and millions of persuadable facebook users and presto !

That is how Donald Trump became President of the United States. I just think that this is very dangerous. This data is powerful and very useful for many many purposes. Some useful to us, but some as I said, could be quite dangerous to the way we use to live our lives.

I am just saying...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I think perhaps a little more understanding is required here to get a feel for how this type of thing is done. As I said, elections tend to swing with the persuadables. A persuadable is someone who has very little interest in politics and few political views. A very large group of citizens indeed.
How does your theory explain away the over abundance of left leaning media and their continual pounding of how horrible everything Trump does. You just can't find a positive story in the media, even though he has accomplished some positive things. And yet, he will likely win.

ltr

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I thought I just did explain it. Remember, at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters in an election are votes, not public opinion. Votes.

I mean how else could this guy win, if not by manipulating persuadable people. The more you know about a person the more you can manipulate them. Facebook provides so much personal information it is virtually easy to do.

Do you think the guy in my example cares about the free trade agreement or what happens with China? Compared to his dog, his partner and his mother, those things take such a back seat that it is not funny. Again, this person does not think much about politics on any given day. These political ads are all generated by computer algorithms and tend to happen a few weeks before the vote. They usually have some small amount of truth but more importantly are geared to persuade that voter that their guy is all for them and the other guy is not. People are lazy. No one is ever going to fact check the validity of all this stuff, especially someone who in not interested in politics. As I said these are non-political people...but they still vote. The benefits of all this comes together on voting day. It really does work.

If you stop and think about it, it really is the only way a guy like Donald Trump could have been elected to President. We are probably lucky it was Donald Trump. What if it had of been a reincarnation of Adolf Hitler? This is what I am talking about. Not whether some company manipulates you into buying their products but when some group manipulates you into giving them the power over the US military, the economy and all those codes for their nuclear weapons, that is when it gets really scary, if you ask me. It needs to be stopped or at least controlled to some degree...before it is too late.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I mean how else could this guy win, if not by manipulating persuadable people. The more you know about a person the more you can manipulate them. Facebook provides so much personal information it is virtually easy to do.
I just wonder if there's a contradiction here. I don't really know as I have never had a Facebook or Twitter account, so my knowledge only comes from the news, which is suspect at best.

First, you have to agree the media does nothing but portray Trump negatively, as is the case now and in the last election. So, that should have worked against him?

Second, social media as far as I can see completely slams Trump all the time, regardless of what he does?

Why do you feel this helps him win?

ltr

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Because the people who are swinging the vote in DT's favour are not watching that stuff. They are uninterested in political issues. They are different then you and I. There are no ads in this universe that could get me to vote for Donald Trump and I suspect you are the same. We are not persuadable.

In most elections the two sides are usually fairly close when you consider that in the last election both had to win Primaries. But in any election there are a large group of undecided voters. They are usually less interested in politics because if they were interested at all, they would probably be decided.

What DT's group did in the last election is focus on the undecideds to swing the vote. These are people they call "persuadables". They have very little interest in political issues BUT they still vote because we live in a society that says it is our civic duty even if you have no idea what you are doing. I won't talk to the brilliance of that mindset but I just want to point out the fact that currently, in our society, it is the politically correct view on the issue of voting. So DT's online group (Cambridge Analytica) used personal knowledge from the internet (most Facebook) to easily manipulate these idiots to vote for Donald Trump. The Russians also did this same thing but they were a lot less concerned with truthful advertising, although I wouldn't say DT's group were sprouting completely truthful info about Hillary Clinton either.

Anyway, if you can win the Primary's and convince 20 or 30 million undecided persuadables to vote for you, then you can become President of the United States. In my opinion, it has now been proven. I doubt Donald Trump even knows how he did it. I suspect he actually thinks the majority of Americans actually like him. That had little to do with it. His group convinced 10s of millions of Americans to NOT like Hillary Clinton, by using their personal information they put online to manipulate them towards that view. That is how he won.

and it is very dangerous and needs to be stopped. At the least, people need to be made aware of it. This personal data is powerful and is being used in ways you really might not like.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Because the people who are swinging the vote in DT's favour are not watching that stuff. They are uninterested in political issues. They are different then you and I. There are no ads in this universe that could get me to vote for Donald Trump and I suspect you are the same. We are not persuadable.
Sure, but the problem is that if you look at it reasonably, there is no way to convince someone to vote for Joe Biden.
The guy is arrogant, senile, add in the behaviour around girls & women thing, and he's even less electable than Trump.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
for those who say “well, I don’t use Facebook” or any other program. I learned something. I asked Facebook for all the data they had on me. One surprising thing they had was all the names and phone numbers stored on my phone’s contact list. So FB had the name and phone number for people who have never used FB.
So, IIRC Facebook creates "shadow profiles", so that if someone isn't on FB, but is on a phone contact list, or labeled in a photo, it all gets assembled into a profile, so that the minute that person joins, the whole profile is activated and all the photos that are labeled are confirmed. Throw in some pattern recognition and it'll find other photos of that person, i.e. photos of untagged people that look similar. Part of that is due to the fact that you can "tag" a person in a photo if they aren't on Facebook. But this was years ago, I suspect they've advanced a lot since then.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
One thing to not forget about is that these databases or other valuable data is a hot commodity on the black market. Hackers, criminal gangs, and even foreign governments are constantly trying to get into these databases.

This is a big reason you should be concerned about privacy.

So even if a tracking app is made with the best intention, by the best people, who will honour their promises to protect you... the hackers who break into these systems don't make the same promise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fortunately this app is labelled as voluntary - at the end of the day, youll have the option to withdraw from their covid tracing tools. The real privacy issues arise if it became mandatory for all Canadian residents.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

In most elections the two sides are usually fairly close when you consider that in the last election both had to win Primaries. But in any election there are a large group of undecided voters. They are usually less interested in politics because if they were interested at all, they would probably be decided.

What DT's group did in the last election is focus on the undecideds to swing the vote. These are people they call "persuadables". They have very little interest in political issues BUT they still vote because we live in a society that says it is our civic duty even if you have no idea what you are doing. I won't talk to the brilliance of that mindset but I just want to point out the fact that currently, in our society, it is the politically correct view on the issue of voting. So DT's online group (Cambridge Analytica) used personal knowledge from the internet (most Facebook) to easily manipulate these idiots to vote for Donald Trump. The Russians also did this same thing but they were a lot less concerned with truthful advertising, although I wouldn't say DT's group were sprouting completely truthful info about Hillary Clinton either.

Anyway, if you can win the Primary's and convince 20 or 30 million undecided persuadables to vote for you, then you can become President of the United States. In my opinion, it has now been proven. I doubt Donald Trump even knows how he did it. I suspect he actually thinks the majority of Americans actually like him. That had little to do with it. His group convinced 10s of millions of Americans to NOT like Hillary Clinton, by using their personal information they put online to manipulate them towards that view. That is how he won.

and it is very dangerous and needs to be stopped. At the least, people need to be made aware of it. This personal data is powerful and is being used in ways you really might not like.
And some are gullible enough think that Facebook which has been proven to have a long history of censoring the right has somehow been used to support Trump. Facebook, Twitter, Google, and 90% of the media openly supported Hillary and suppressed positive Trump information.

Trump won in spite of Big Tech and the media, not because of them. Had he had a level playing field it would have been a slaughter.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts