Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
What bothers me is how asymmetric the pros and cons are. The possibility of getting negative attention from police, tax authorities, and health insurance are horrible possible "cons".
I think this COVID19 tracing app is the exact opposite of that, yet everyone seems scared of it. If the adoption is low, then it won't be effective, so given the responses on this thread I suspect it will fail - too bad, it could have offered some valuable info to people. This app seemed to me to be so much more benign than a simple Google Maps program that everyone uses every day to help them find a location or direct them in their car to a destination. Do they not realize how much data they are handing over compared to this anonymous COVID19 tracing app? I don't think so.

ltr

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think I'll give it a miss.

Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see the term "proximity" defined. Does it mean that one came within 1 foot, 10 feet, 1 mile or what of the Covid carrier's phone?
Bluetooth has a very short range - much shorter than home wifi or cellular. Something like 10m typically, but up to 100m

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I think this COVID19 tracing app is the exact opposite of that, yet everyone seems scared of it. If the adoption is low, then it won't be effective, so given the responses on this thread I suspect it will fail - too bad, it could have offered some valuable info to people. This app seemed to me to be so much more benign than a simple Google Maps program that everyone uses every day to help them find a location or direct them in their car to a destination. Do they not realize how much data they are handing over compared to this anonymous COVID19 tracing app? I don't think so.
Anonymizing and properly implementing security are extremely hard to do correctly. I work in this field and look at this stuff routinely.

I don't trust them to properly "anonymize" the data. Certainly not an "app" that they hastily rolled out... it would take a significant amount of review and auditing to ensure that something like this truly preserves privacy and anonymity.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I never turn it on either. Like you, I leave Wifi and Bluetooth off to save battery power.

Without Bluetooth how do you connect to your car's computer to receive all your texts, email, phone calls, and listen to your music while driving?

Without Wifi how do you connect to the internet?

Save on battery power? - your battery won't last a day?

ltr

·
Registered
117 Posts
I will use the app depending on what permissions it asks for and how much it uses my battery (that constant Bluetooth scanning has got to be a power draw).

I'm also one of those who keep Bluetooth off unless I need it, but I leave Wifi on for convenience because I don't have a data plan (just don't need it).

LTR: My phone battery lasts for 5-7 days between charges. I mainly use it 1-2 hours a day as a music player with very occasional phone calls/texts. Fewer charge cycles mean the battery has a longer lifespan and reduces the need to replace the phone after a couple years.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I haven't had a phone that lasts a day since my Blackberry.
Today my phone lasts maybe 2-3 hours, to be fair it's 3 years old and in need of an upgrade, but with new phones at $1-2k, that's a crazy fast upgrade cycle.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
It always amuses me when this issue of privacy comes up that people don't see to realize they already have no privacy from those who may want to invade it. It is simply not possible to maintain privacy in this digital age unless you go off into the wilderness and become a hermit in a cabin with no contact to the outside world.

Often people here in this forum talk about credit scores for example. How do you think you can have a credit score without your privacy having been invaded?

Privacy is something that existed in the past, not in the present and so whether someone chooses to use this app or not, is not going to change that by even anything close to 1%.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
off topic.....It’s been my experience that credit scores are virtually meaningless for everyone that pays their bills on their....which is probably 80-90% of people. Whether you’re 700,720,780.......I haven’t seen any benefit to a higher score. You may get a slightly better on unsecured credit (loans and LOCs)......I never priced mortgages on credit scores. I’ve yet to see any other financial benefits for me. Generally, your score is either acceptable or not.
for borrowers at the margins, there are some score minimums that are need for credit approvals.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It always amuses me when this issue of privacy comes up that people don't see to realize they already have no privacy from those who may want to invade it. It is simply not possible to maintain privacy in this digital age unless you go off into the wilderness and become a hermit in a cabin with no contact to the outside world.

Often people here in this forum talk about credit scores for example. How do you think you can have a credit score without your privacy having been invaded?

Privacy is something that existed in the past, not in the present and so whether someone chooses to use this app or not, is not going to change that by even anything close to 1%.
So we should just accept that our rights and democracy are have been compromised by big business interests and not raise awareness?

I do fear you may be correct, lack of awareness has allowed it to get as bad as it is, and the toothpaste probably can't get squeezed back in the bottle. Scary times ahead.

·
Super Moderator
3,163 Posts
Without Bluetooth how do you connect to your car's computer to receive all your texts, email, phone calls, and listen to your music while driving?
I just pull over if a text,call,email is important but most of the time I wait and respond at my destination. Music is from the radio or sd card.

Side note: It's suprising how many have turned their phones into electronic leashes. When it makes a sound many fell the need to (and do) respond immediately.

I turn data on, if I need it. Leaving wifi (or bt) on when travelling uses much more power when a known connection isn't available, it's constantly scanning for connections.

It may or may not last an entire day, depends on what I'm doing. If just texting with no data,wifi,bt use it'll last all day or more.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
You're kidding right? I don't want my car to be beeping and buzzing with texts and emails... what a horrifying thought. Dangerous too!

No, I definitely keep my phone disconnected from the car as much as possible. It's easy to listen to music using a simple audio cord.

I don't use the phone for very much internet, maybe 500 MB a month. Sometimes I just use my data plan. Other times I turn on Wi-Fi when I need it, disconnect it later when I don't.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Heck, I thought you millennial types were connected all the time, and now I find everyone shuts everything off.

I have everything turned on all the time, then I don't have to think about it. I pick up my earphone buds and they connect, I get in my car and it connects. No fuss.

I place my phone down on my wireless charger every night and pick it up every morning. All charged for another day. I don't have to play with all the turning things on and off all the time. Must be very tiring. Now I know why everyone is looking at their phones all the time, they're turning things on and off.

ltr

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I noticed this change on my phone today.....

Social media is buzzing with complaints from people after apparently discovering that Apple or Google has suddenly uploaded a COVID-19 tracking app to their phone without permission. Here's what actually happened.....

ltr

41 - 60 of 93 Posts