Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I might (BIG) if the government (or whoever in charge of that program) buys me an Iphone for a start.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
17,640 Posts
Same answer I gave my employers: if you want me to use a phone, you buy the equipment. And then I'll turn it on and use it when it's convenient for me.

·
Registered
17,640 Posts
Well if the App doesn't have access to location data just how are they going to get it?
Cell tower & wifi proximity data is available on just about all phones. It's not as accurate as GPS data but does a pretty good job at tracing where someone has been, if you don't need high granularity.

This kind of data can also be correlated with the user as a second step. So even if the app itself doesn't have location tracking abilities, the data can be used -- in a second step -- to correlate with location data.

Meaning that it's possible to track someone's location in any case.

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
Cell tower & wifi proximity data is available on just about all phones. It's not as accurate as GPS data but does a pretty good job at tracing where someone has been, if you don't need high granularity.

This kind of data can also be correlated with the user as a second step. So even if the app itself doesn't have location tracking abilities, the data can be used -- in a second step -- to correlate with location data.

Meaning that it's possible to track someone's location in any case.
Under android wifi and/or cell tower data are accessible only when you give location permissions. I'm sure though that many can get a very gross location via the current ip address used.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Under android wifi and/or cell tower data are accessible only when you give location permissions. I'm sure though that many can get a very gross location via the current ip address used.
Yeah sure, but Google Maps defaults to tracking your position every second of every day of your life on an Android phone unless you change that in your settings.

Most don't.

ltr

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
Yeah sure, but Google Maps defaults to tracking your position every second of every day of your life on an Android phone unless you change that in your settings.

Most don't.

ltr
True but if you're concerned enough about it you've likely turned it off.

I'd say most don't care that their phones location is tracked.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Well if the App doesn't have access to location data just how are they going to get it?
No, they'll use whatever data they can get. In this case, they'll be able to map out who interacts with who.

There is a reason privacy advocates are not happy.

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
No, they'll use whatever data they can get. In this case, they'll be able to map out who interacts with who.

There is a reason privacy advocates are not happy.
I don't see the problem ... it's not like "have to" install this app.

·
Registered
17,640 Posts
I'm wondering why most people are concerned about others knowing their location?
Because the information can potentially be used against me.

It's the same reason that when you fill out a government form for something, you don't attach pages and pages of your entire life story. You provide only the information required and leave it at that; when you volunteers lots of extra information about yourself, it can potentially hurt you.

·
Registered
17,640 Posts
I think you missed the bolded part of my message. It's just not just about this app and the permissions it has. This particular app may not have location permission - fine.

The problem is that additional information from other apps, including Google, could be combined together. By looking across several apps, police/govt can get far more information than what a single app provides.

For example: say there's another really bad COVID wave. The government declares a national state of emergency (or something) and demands that Google and telcos provide all their data "for health and safety". They can then combine this with the app, and get far more location-tracking data than you agreed to.

The telcos always have the data of which cell towers you use (and therefore your location), and can provide it to government. They can do this no matter what settings you use on your phone.

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
I think you missed the bolded part of my message. It's just not just about this app and the permissions it has. This particular app may not have location permission - fine.

The problem is that additional information from other apps, including Google, could be combined together. By looking across several apps, police/govt can get far more information than what a single app provides.

For example: say there's another really bad COVID wave. The government declares a national state of emergency (or something) and demands that Google and telcos provide all their data "for health and safety". They can then combine this with the app, and get far more location-tracking data than you agreed to.

The telcos always have the data of which cell towers you use (and therefore your location), and can provide it to government. They can do this no matter what settings you use on your phone.
I know, however this isn't a thread on "big brother" it's about "one app" that you can choose to use.

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
In what way can the information be used against you?

I went and got a haircut yesterday and today I went for a bike ride. Now you know. How will you use this against me?
Exactly. I think some people are drawn to the data being used for nafarious reasons. I'll be taking the dog for a walk soon but of course, google already knows this. :)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts