Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Lingonberry jam was always in our house and used as such...on toast, etc. I have had reindeer stew in Norway, with lingonberries simply sprinkled on top. I do not recall my mother much using it as a condiment with meat. I think it may have taken the place of cranberries with turkey from time to time. She made really good Norwegian meatballs, but not served with tyttebær (what my parents always called lingonberry). I'll have to try the Ikea variety if ever I get to Vancouver again (or maybe there's an Ikea in Victoria).

Anyway, hearing of tyttebær brings back memories. Not often heard of in Canada. Kinda' like gjetost (goat milk cheese from Norway) or torskerogn (cod roe) - nice when you can find it.
Well maybe it is a Swedish thing. IKEA is after all a Swedish company, not a Norwegian company.

I've only visited Norway once and that was for a week or so spent in Bergen. I liked it but too much open face fish based sandwiches for my liking. I'm not a big fish fan at all.

I found their smoking and drinking habits a bit of an eye-opener. Most people who smoke, roll their own cigarettes to save money and I'm not talking about poor people. They also drink at home to save money before going out for say a Friday evening to meet friends at a bar. Then they smoke 'tailor made' packaged cigarettes while out at the bar or restaurant etc. Apparently, it is a result of the high taxes on alcohol and tobacco.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Well maybe it is a Swedish thing. IKEA is after all a Swedish company, not a Norwegian company.

I've only visited Norway once and that was for a week or so spent in Bergen. I liked it but too much open face fish based sandwiches for my liking. I'm not a big fish fan at all.

I found their smoking and drinking habits a bit of an eye-opener. Most people who smoke, roll their own cigarettes to save money and I'm not talking about poor people. They also drink at home to save money before going out for say a Friday evening to meet friends at a bar. Then they smoke 'tailor made' packaged cigarettes while out at the bar or restaurant etc. Apparently, it is a result of the high taxes on alcohol and tobacco.
Norway is not really a good place for those who do not appreciate fish.

Norway has almost prohibition through alcohol taxes. So many Norwegians "burn their own" as they say. Backyard stills.

The roll-your-own smokes is also part of the culture. I quit smoking when I was 21, but when in Norway before that, I smoked. Pall Mall cigarettes made in Denmark with tobacco grown there were pretty good. On one trip to Norway, I was about 19, I ran out of store-bought smokes and I was with a cousin at a somewhat remote spot on the ocean where family had a cabin. No stores anywhere. So, we were out fishing for cod, mackerel and sei (I think called pollock here). When he saw I was out of cigarettes, he kindly handed over a tobacco pouch, papers, etc.

I had never rolled a cigarette in my life, except on a rolling machine at Mountain Trout House for lodge guests. But, I did not want to look weak. I made a valiant attempt to stuff tobacco into a paper and make some kind of a roll. This is while sitting in a small open boat, in somewhat rough seas, wind blowing, a light rain falling. It was not going well. Tobacco was blowing around, being wasted. I was making a hash of the papers. So cousin starts laughing and very quickly retrieves the lot from my inept hands and deftly rolls a smoke for me in a single-handed operation, all the while keeping a steady hand on the tiller and holding onto his line.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
We love the IKEA meatballs, and have them as a quick meal. With the shutdowns, ikea released their recipe

i had not idea what’s ruse flour is And used random breadcrumbs. mine were pretty good, but not exactly the same. We did a by side comparison with the ikea ones I had in the freezer.

@Mukhang pera Where do you get lingonberry jam? I only have seen it at ikea.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The last time we bought Lingonberry jam was in Seattle. We found a place (see link below) that sells a lot of Scandinavian products. Every couple of years we take a drive south to my old LA stomping ground to visit friends and to see if our house still stands and, since finding this Scandinavian store, we detour into Seattle on our way home. A lot of the food products are in bottles and tins and will last. We also buy cheeses from Norway that are hard to find on Vancouver Island and even in Vancouver. Nøkkelost is one of those cheeses. Flavored with cumin seeds and cloves. We always had it at home in Toronto. Not sure where my parents bought it.

We also always take a detour to the Olive Pit in Corning, CA. An amazing collection of olives and olive products and some other items. They also provide free samples of most of it. Well probably not now, given the new world order. Places like that might soon be gone forever. Olive Pit - Gourmet Olives, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Wine and Craft Beer

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
My parents often buy komijnekaas (cumin cheese / gouda) from a local dutch store. The stuff from the grocery store isn't quite the same.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts