Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
Not aware of a better/cheaper place for disposable furniture than IKEA. Similar particle board furniture you find elsewhere (Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc.) tends to be very poor quality. Just be aware that the furniture is disposable, and not meant to last many years or use or being moved.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'm not sure where the jurisdiction for mandatory masking would come from, but it seems to be done on a city basis.
It does not make sense federally, since there are so many differences between provinces and regions. We were at a national park this week and they did require masks in close quarters (on the bus) and were taking extra precautions through temperature checks. The jurisdiction could fall under provincial since that covers health however it would make more sense at a municipality level through a by law.

I would rather that it is mandated across the country for masks inside public places due to travel, but hope at least my city will do something. They are thinking of getting a by law for mask because so many people are not wearing them.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Not everyone can wear a mask. It really can get in the way of breathing.
While I suppose that is true, I would guess that those so frail of breath as to not be able to use a mask are also laying in bed on oxygen therapy. A mask is an extraordinarily light burden on resparation. Not only doctors and nurses but lots of industrial, farming, construction and high tech occupations put folks in masks for hours at a time. Asking folks to wear a medical style mask is not at all an unreasonable imposition. There are dozens of occupations where failure to use one would result in dismissal and possible industrial safety sanctions.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It does not make sense federally, since there are so many differences between provinces and regions. We were at a national park this week and they did require masks in close quarters (on the bus) and were taking extra precautions through temperature checks. The jurisdiction could fall under provincial since that covers health however it would make more sense at a municipality level through a by law.

I would rather that it is mandated across the country for masks inside public places due to travel, but hope at least my city will do something. They are thinking of getting a by law for mask because so many people are not wearing them.
I would guess jurisdiction depends on the property. I could see stores in cities falling under municipal by-laws as the cities are the ones that issue permits, collected the associated taxes. While the national park would fall under federal.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Not aware of a better/cheaper place for disposable furniture than IKEA. Similar particle board furniture you find elsewhere (Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc.) tends to be very poor quality. Just be aware that the furniture is disposable, and not meant to last many years or use or being moved.
We have a white IKEA wardrobe on our balcony that we bought in 1995! We have painted it to blend in but it is still serving its purpose.

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ikea's safety manager replied to my email, so at least I know she saw my comments.

I'm kind of proud of how I tracked down the safety manager. I did some internet sleuthing, found the person's name, and then guessed at the email format.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
We have a white IKEA wardrobe on our balcony that we bought in 1995! We have painted it to blend in but it is still serving its purpose.
One of the biggest pain in the butts for condo boards are people who put stuff on their balconies that are not allowed under the condo rules. The condo we lived in allowed nothing but patio furniture and a barbecue. It was a quite clear and simple rule. Yet people would put bicycles, old sofas, hang laundry to dry or paint the walls a different colour etc. All had to be told NO, you can't do that and they always responded as if they should be allowed to do as they wanted to. In most condos your balcony is not actually your property, it is 'common property' that you are allowed exclusive use of but you can't just do as you please with it.

Here is a typical set of rules for a condo balcony.
You will see on page 6 under 1:e the following:
"store any bicycles, equipment, furniture, goods, materials or other items except for seasonal furniture; "

Your 'wardrobe' would not be allowed under those rules.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
The thing is that LTA knows about lots of things but has no context. I live in a penthouse and am allowed a BBQ and many other thing not visible to anyone. The only time people get to complain is when things get delivered through the lobby! 1350 sq.ft. Patio....all allowed by the management.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I am a huge believer in MYOB
The thing is though ian that in a condo, what is an individuals rights regarding the property are not the same as when you own a detached home. So it isn't a case of 'your own business', it is a case of the individual infringing on the 'common business' and THINKING they have individual rights when they do not.

When we lived in a condo, what I observed was that the majority of people who bought a condo did not really understand what the trade-off they were signing up for was. They would do something contrary to condo rules and then be surprised when told, 'no, you can't do that.' I doubt that 10% had actually read the condo rules before buying and still hadn't even after moving in.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
The thing is that LTA knows about lots of things but has no context. I live in a penthouse and am allowed a BBQ and many other thing not visible to anyone. The only time people get to complain is when things get delivered through the lobby! 1350 sq.ft. Patio....all allowed by the management.
Yes context is important. If you are not living in a condo and just renting, the rules are those laid down by the owner and included in your rental agreement. If you are living in a condo then the rules are those in the condo agreement. The only thing you have not put in 'context' kcowan is whether a wardrobe is within the rules in your case or not.

But then, I didn't say your wardrobe WAS against the rules in your case, I wrote, 'people who put stuff on their balconies that are not allowed under the condo rules.' I was simply going off your example of a wardrobe and saying in MANY cases it would not be allowed.

I think the point I was making was clear. If you don't like the rules, don't live where those rules exist. One of the most thankless volunteer jobs there is has to be being on a condo board. It amazed me to discover just how many people think that they should be exempt from the rules in one way or another. During the two years I was on the board, we had to deal with infractions at every single monthly meeting. Sometimes as many as half a dozen in a month.

For example, one resident owner who is a well known Canadian wine producer, would come home for lunch often and park his Bentley in the visitors parking area at the front of the building rather than in his designated parking space in the underground garage. There was no good reason for his doing that, he just preferred it. He ignored repeated verbal requests and then written requests to leave visitor parking for visitors and park in his designated parking space. The board finally had to have a letter sent from a lawyer saying that the board would begin legal proceedings to force the sale of his condo.

It's easy to think, 'oh mind your own business, who cares if someone parks there when they come home for lunch.' But that thinking only holds up until it is your visitor that can't get parked anywhere because residents are taking up all the visitor parking. Then the tune changes to, 'hey, my visitor can't get parked, what are you doing about this, why are you allowing residents to park in visitors parking.'

People always seem to think the rules should not apply to them but at the same time, think the rules should apply if someone else is breaking them and it is interfering with them. That's one of the reasons why being on a condo board is such a thankless job. You're a 'condo nazi' if you tell someone they can't do something and you're an 'incompetent board' if you let someone do something that interferes with someone else in any way. It's a no win job.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
For the first time in 6-8 months, we were at Costco yesterday to stock up on goods, mostly meat, for the upcoming revolving door of visitors this summer. What a freaking gong show it was. We wore masks into the store and they were also handing out masks but maybe a quarter of the people did not wear masks (mostly 30 and 40 somethings it seems) and did not appear to care about it at all. The place was like a crowded freeway in the aisles although the till area was not too bad. A fertile petri dish is the best way to describe it.

I could not wait to get out of there and would have left if I could have gotten away with that tactic with my spouse. I did tell her afterward that I won't be back. Other than the high quality of their fresh meats, I see no attractiveness of the place especially for couples. A family of 5 with teenagers....maybe.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
For the first time in 6-8 months, we were at Costco yesterday to stock up on goods, mostly meat, for the upcoming revolving door of visitors this summer. What a freaking gong show it was. We wore masks into the store and they were also handing out masks but maybe a quarter of the people did not wear masks (mostly 30 and 40 somethings it seems) and did not appear to care about it at all. The place was like a crowded freeway in the aisles although the till area was not too bad. A fertile petri dish is the best way to describe it.

I could not wait to get out of there and would have left if I could have gotten away with that tactic with my spouse. I did tell her afterward that I won't be back. Other than the high quality of their fresh meats, I see no attractiveness of the place especially for couples. A family of 5 with teenagers....maybe.
What happened to only ONE family member entering a supermarket at a time? That was one of the original criteria laid down way back when. Supermarkets were enforcing that and refusing to let couples or a parent with child enter at all.

Now you see whole families of even 4 or more going in to supermarkets. The risk hasn't changed.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
LTA...this thing is that it is not your condo. It belongs to someone else, in another city. Nor did you know the context as noted by the person who lives there. You are not on the board.

So, it is hardly your concern. Hence my MYOB comment.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
LTA...this thing is that it is not your condo. It belongs to someone else, in another city. Nor did you know the context as noted by the person who lives there. You are not on the board.

So, it is hardly your concern. Hence my MYOB comment.
Ian, MYOB. My comments are not your business are they? I believe they word you are looking for is 'touche'.

I made a comment on a side issue granted but it was a valid comment I think and not directed at mcowan as an individual in any way. I did not say HE was doing anything wrong, I only used his wardrobe as a segue into the topic of condo rules and people who want to ignore them when it suits them. I see no problem with that.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
In our building, anyone who parks in a restricted zone gets a warning and is then towed by our agency, Bentley or not. Most likely MER or BMW where the owner expects special treatment.

BTW our complex does have a major problem with fridges and freezers on balconies. They have never solved that one and remind me of masks, rules are made to be broken!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
In our building, anyone who parks in a restricted zone gets a warning and is then towed by our agency, Bentley or not. Most likely MER or BMW where the owner expects special treatment.

BTW our complex does have a major problem with fridges and freezers on balconies. They have never solved that one and remind me of masks, rules are made to be broken!
I don't know what laws are applicable in your area mcowan but in the condo I lived in in BC, a tow truck towing a vehicle from private property at the behest of the property owner meant that the property owner was liable for any damage to the vehicle that resulted from the towing. That lovely legal word 'liability' stops a lot of things in their tracks. So rather than risk liability it was easier to threaten to force the sale of the unit.

Why doesn't your condo board simply send those with fridges on the balcony a letter from their lawyer threatening to force the sale of the unit if they don't comply?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ian, MYOB. My comments are not your business are they? I believe they word you are looking for is 'touche'.

I made a comment on a side issue granted but it was a valid comment I think and not directed at mcowan as an individual in any way. I did not say HE was doing anything wrong, I only used his wardrobe as a segue into the topic of condo rules and people who want to ignore them when it suits them. I see no problem with that.
None of which is about the topic of this thread - touché, indeed

21 - 40 of 65 Posts