Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in Richmond BC.

I came prepared with the list of items to pick up and load into the car. But I still had to go to the showroom to see some things.

At one point, I was in a line up. The woman immediately behind me was wearing NO mask, and she started coughing (a wet cough). As a result, I left the line and gave up my spot, went far away to do something else instead.

In the showroom, people had apparently brought their whole families including large groups of kids. It was crowded and I couldn't believe how many children I saw.

Although Ikea limits the total number of people in the store, this doesn't account for the fact that people cluster in certain areas! One area I was walking through had such density of people that you could not walk around them... total congestion of closely packed people.

Overall a pretty scary experience and I would say that only 1/3 of people wore masks. In a place like that, absolutely 100% of people should be wearing masks. The government should start requiring 100% usage inside stores like this one.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
....not just in stores like Ikea but in ALL stores and in all public areas. Alas, you cannot fix stupid.

I really like Ikea AAA and AA batteries for my electronics-especially remote controls. Inexpensive and seem to outlast other brands.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....not just in stores like Ikea but in ALL stores and in all public areas. Alas, you cannot fix stupid.
If people can not control their clustering behaviour, I think it's time for the federal government to mandate 100% mask usage in stores.

We had our chance, and we've demonstrated that we are unable to control ourselves.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm not sure where the jurisdiction for mandatory masking would come from, but it seems to be done on a city basis.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm not sure where the jurisdiction for mandatory masking would come from, but it seems to be done on a city basis.
The local health units in Ontario have started mandating it. The premier refused to do it citing impossible enforcement.

the mandate is rather weak. They are asking businesses to put up signs and businesses are allowed to refuse entry. If the business allows no mask, then you can still get away with not wearing one. The usual allowances around children under 2 and those with “health” problems don’t need to wear one.

if you have difficulty breathing through a mask (which doctors and nurses wear for 12 hours straight), then why are you even going out When there is a virus that attacks the lungs ?

the Facebook page of our local health unit is riddled with people asking “but is it really mandatory?”. The reality is that it is an “ask”. No legal enforcement, no fines. No Capacity to enforce.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts

So nice now that in my city that it's mandatory to wear a mask..

I went grocery shopping today and 100% wore masks including all employees.

Before, there were many employees that didn't wear the masks. I understand as they have to wear them for 8 hours and so they eventually decide to take them off. But these are the people I want to see with masks on as they encounter so many people all day.

It's so simple. Make it a federal requirement to wear masks just like many cities like mine have done.

How difficult would it be. Once you do that, everyone complies.

Well, everyone except for lonewolf of course.....

ltr

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you have difficulty breathing through a mask (which doctors and nurses wear for 12 hours straight), then why are you even going out When there is a virus that attacks the lungs ?
Not everyone can wear a mask. It really can get in the way of breathing. So I am fine with exceptions, plus in Canada we haven't had a great selection of mask products.

But what angers me are these young adults in their 20s and 30s. They are all over the place where I am and they have the lowest level of mask usage. People in such good health should be required by law to wear masks... they aren't wearing masks because they're lazy, or aren't concerned about themselves. That's pure selfishness.

Around here, I see the 20 and 30 somethings laughing it up, socializing, now packing the bars and nightclubs full. Gathering in large groups. They are in grocery stores, with no mask, walking by elderly people in frail health. Seemingly no awareness that we are in a serious pandemic.

It's just not appropriate for the current situation and must be stopped.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If someone has cancer the lower level of oxygen from wearing masks causes the cancer to spread faster since the immune system is weakened with the lower oxygen levels. Anyone with Covid or other respiratory problems wearing a mask just makes matters worse for the person.

Keeping people locked up their homes weakens the immune system.

Social distancing with areas closed down puts more people in x amount of area. Standing in lines & moving through stores slowly actually means longer times exposed to the virus. Man is a social animal trying to make us something we are not causes more health problems & deaths.

The government could not control the climate to with in half a degree C. Do you think they can control a virus ? There was a reason years ago people left Europe to get away from power tripping government. It is a complete joke how the tyrants are power tripping thinking they can control a virus they will just lead us to civil war if they keep it up. The government should do something they have never done which tell the people they made a mistake & just stop all the Covid BS

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But lonewolf, the government isn't saying you can't have social interactions. They're just saying to keep some distance between you and the other person. And ideally wear a mask.

Cheap disposable / surgical masks are loose fitting and, in my experience anyway, really don't get in the way of breathing.

I totally agree that social interactions are necessary, as are regular life patterns. I recently moved and need to set up a work space. It's not frivolous... I need a desk, need furniture, need a way to do my work. I need kitchenware. I need to go into stores. I need to see friends.

But I can do all that, just being a little bit cautious, keeping some extra distance with people, wearing a mask. Isn't this a pretty good compromise?

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
It is not reasonable to mandate masks on a provincial basis since there are so many situations and locations where masks won't do anything at all, and actually counterproductive because of how silly it would be. Provinces should give a carte blanche to municipalities to decide on where masking up is mandatory and/or highly recommended. Municipalities could mandate certain minimums in public facilities and arm twist (reward/celebrate) certain types of businesses to do likewise. There are too many dumb people out there, and too many selfish people out there, to keep new covid cases to a simmer, or dull roar.

James, you could easily go to social media to shame IKEA in its poor response to physical distancing needs. Seems to me if enough people do that, businesses will sometimes respond.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it was the selfish and ignorant that caught covid and died, but the travesty is it is them infecting those around them that were otherwise doing their best to be conscientious.

·
Registered
855 Posts
We live in a very individualistic and dogmatic world. People don't care enough about others to bother to wear a mask. Nowadays, some people even cough in other peoples' faces out of spite.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
James, you could easily go to social media to shame IKEA in its poor response to physical distancing needs. Seems to me if enough people do that, businesses will sometimes respond.
I don't really do social media stuff (since I have no presence, nobody will care what I write) but I am going to phone and try reaching the store's manager to convey my thoughts. Maybe just a voicemail, if nothing else.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it was the selfish and ignorant that caught covid and died, but the travesty is it is them infecting those around them that were otherwise doing their best to be conscientious.
Right. I feel especially bad for the older members of our society. They are (rightfully) scared to go out and even a simple trip somewhere exposes them to risk. When I'm in the stores, I see them working very hard to keep away from other people. It must be a very scary time for them.

I would hope that everyone in society realizes the difficult situation that seniors, or anyone with health problems, is having.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
I do my best to keep physical distancing but it's about an 80% success rate at best. Best I can do in those instances is hold my breath until I can get at least a few metres away.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
Right wingers always think two wrongs make a right. Won't stop them from criticizing the other guy's wrongs vociferously while defending their teams right to do the same.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I need a couple of shelves and looked into building them myself versus buying them at a store such as ikea.

It's $72 for a piece of 8x4 foot 3/4 inch thick plywood (there is cheaper plywood but it's not smooth/sanded on both sides so not suitable for furniture in the living room). Then you have to pay $30 for at least two cans of stain or finish. Then you need fasteners (I would just use dowels which are cheap and my favorite way of joining things). You need edge banding for the edges of the plywood. Finally you have to rent a van to bring it all home, unless you already own a truck/van which I don't. After all this, it actually comes out cheaper to just buy furniture from ikea. I still plan to build it myself just so that I can customize it the way I want, but my point is that it's not cheap and it doesn't save you money versus buying at ikea. I was at HD the other day trying to pick up the supplies but none of their vans were available (they don't let you reserve one, you gotta hang around the store all day hoping one will become free), I'll probably just rent one from uhaul or something.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts