Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On January 27th, I purchased 13 ounces of gold wafers from the TD bank @2135 per oz Canadian.
($27,775.00)
I emptied my bank account with 60 thousand cash.
I am seriously thinking about moving out of the city of Hamilton and into a small community where subway/bus service is not essential.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
On January 27th, I purchased 13 ounces of gold wafers from the TD bank @2135 per oz Canadian.
($27,775.00)
I emptied my bank account with 60 thousand cash.
I am seriously thinking about moving out of the city of Hamilton and into a small community where subway/bus service is not essential.
I think buying gold is silly, if it gets that bad, a shotgun is much more valuable.

As far as not living in a very high density city, well I think that's just a good idea.
I also think living as a hermit is a bad idea.

There is a happy medium, and I think that's actually the suburban detatched home lifestyle.

FWIW, the research is mixed on what's best. But I found living reasonably close to work and other amenities is nice, in a house I want to go home to.

I've lived semi-isolated, it sucks, I've lived "downtown", it has some advantages, but if you can afford a car, being just a few minutes from the highest density is nicer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I think back to the Great Depression, the Jewish Folks were stuffing diamonds and gold up their rectums.
I did not buy gold as an investment. I am worried about the American Dollar becoming worthless as they continue to print money. China is prepared to introduce a gold backed currency.
I am 72 years old/single guy and I expect to live another 10 years.
My CPP is 17 hundred per month.
My rent is 13 hundred for a one bedroom and with hydro, cable and phone a a bit of pot, I gotta toss in about 400 per month from my cash on hand. I got enough cash to subsidize my lifestyle for 10 years.
If I am still alive in 10 years, I will need to cash in my gold.
I know my gold will keep up with inflation.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My worry at the moment that no city with a workforce needing to use public transit will ever return to normal until a vaccine is available. Pretty tense to ride public transit while keeping your distance.
I think many-many employers are going to abandon the city because of this.

I don't think they will have a vaccine for at least a year.
And, if the vaccine is handled in the same fashion as how the pandemic is presently being done, it will take a year or more to manuacture and vaccinate billions of arms. (A total o 2 or 3 years)
At the moment they can't even organize a test and trace program properly or supply the needed amount of PPP.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Seems like your username might be a bit of a misnomer.

I think you will be a lot safer with your 60k in the bank than under your mattress, and you might even earn a bit of interest depending on what bank you choose. 27k in gold is going to be a pain in the *** to convert back into something you can buy groceries with.

Since you're retired presumably you don't need to take public transit to work, so I'm not sure why you're concerned about the safety of public transit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The TD bank will buy it.

I can sell it to this guy.

I don't have it under my mattress. My sister buried it on her house property.

I am giving serious thought about moving away from the city. I think that we will soon see the military patrolling the streets, every Walmart parking lot becoming a military base.

I worry about public transit because I think that the workforce will not return to work unless it is proven that public transit is safe. It will take years for TTC to purchase more vehicles.

Without more TTC vehicles, the unemployment will remain huge.

20% unemployment in any city creates huge problems with crime and gamgsterism.

Public transit will be critical to Toronto's COVID-19 recovery, but will it be safe for riders?
Physical distancing will soon be impossible on its vehicles, TTC warns
By Nick Boisvert
May 22. 2020

Here is a photo of a subway car. Toronto is going to have to buy tons of subway cars if fewer passengers are allowed into each car.

·
Super Moderator
3,177 Posts
I don't have it under my mattress. My sister buried it on her house property.

I am giving serious thought about moving away from the city. I think that we will soon see the military patrolling the streets, every Walmart parking lot becoming a military base.
lol, glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am only contributing to this forum with my views.
I am not claiming to be a clarvoyant.
We can visit this thread again in September and see if your views or mine have changed.

When do you think they are going to create a vaccine and complete a vaccination program?

How many more months do you think that the Federal Government can continue to pay 2 or 3 million people who are unemployed a living wage.?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
We have been through similar epidemics before. The one in 1957 - 58 was worse, the 1918 Spanish flu worse than that. Who remembers the regular summer polio outbreaks, swine flu, Legionaire's disease, Hong Kong flu and all the others? Eventually they blow over and things go back to normal. The only difference this time is the massive media publicity effort and governments reactions. Whether the panic is justified I won't say but if history is any guide this too will pass and be forgotten.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I purchased my gold it cost 1.31 to purchase an American dollar.
Today it is 1.37
and ..... gold has increased by 250 an oz.

So I am doin' Okay.

I think that the price of gold tells just how many people are betting against America.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figure a year and a half or 2 years, tops.
Thank You. I am enjoying this discussion.
So, lets say a year, then?
America is spending a trillion dollars per month keeping the pitch forks off the castle grounds.
Do you think that this can continue for a year without completely debasing the American dollar?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Thank You. I am enjoying this discussion.
So, lets say a year, then?
America is spending a trillion dollars per month keeping the pitch forks off the castle grounds.
Do you think that this can continue for a year without completely debasing the American dollar?
They have been debasing the dollar at the speed of light for years. So far, so good. I believe the reason these trillions in money printing have not resulted in massive inflation, is that the money has not gotten into the hands of the public. It has all gone to the government's criminal friends at the big banks and to China to finance a consumer society with no producers. The Chinese are savvy enough not to spend it in the US, they are using it to buy up farm land, mines, oil wells and other resources around the world.

The world economy is nothing but a series of scams and when one house of cards collapses they rig up another. I am frankly amazed things have gone on as long as they have. Catherine Austin Fitts says we will not see a sudden apocalyptic collapse, we will see a slow burn as society gradually deteriorates and this process has been going on now since the 1970s. You see it in major cities that have nearly become uninhabitable by decent people and are losing population as the productive members of society move out leaving the dregs. Nobody seems to care, nobody does anything about it, we hardly even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In Manitoba we'll be "mostly normal" on June 1st,
Are you saying that there is no "distancing" in commercial establishments or in work places?
Are you saying that people are casually tripping around town or are people just venturing outside to pick up essentials?
I think you and I have some complications with the word "Normal".

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I chose not to quote you completely because I thought your view was totally correct.

I think that China is going to introduce a Gold Backed Currency and the world will flock to it. I am betting on this.

Believing in the economic theory being practiced today is no different than believing in a God or a religion.

The “Economic System” itself is a “Myth” propagated by “Magicians” who afforded themselves the costs of a higher education and “Purchased” a PHD or an SH?T after their names. The same way that a Christian Preacher attends a religious institution and leaves with a “Certificate Of Christendom”.

Economic “Myth” is “Preached” and “Enforced” by the military and police complex, and when required (and on command), by our religious leaders as well.

Economists perform the same tasks and for the same reason for which magicians and court jesters played their essential roles during Olden Times with Kings and Queens.

The magicians even dressed differently than other members of the Royal Court, just as the bankers today wear a suit and tie.

It is all a “Confidence Myth”.

The Economist has only one mission in life and that is to further propagate the myth with “Magical” charts and drawings and claiming them to be “Truth”. A successful economist must sell his magic in the same way a Jehovah Witness sells their beliefs.

The 12 Federal Reserve members are no different than the myth of the 12 Apostles at the Last Supper.

A total sham.

Some humour for you:

For Math Purposes, If You Were To Count To 1 Trillion It Would Take You 31,709.79 years.
May 19, 2020

What does one Trillion dollars look like?

U.S. Debt Visualized in $100 Bills

Gold - Visualized in Bullion Bars

·
Super Moderator
3,177 Posts
Are you saying that there is no "distancing" in commercial establishments or in work places?
Are you saying that people are casually tripping around town or are people just venturing outside to pick up essentials?
I think you and I have some complications with the word "Normal".
There is still the "2m rule" in place for businesses but brief close exchanges can occur on June 1st, not sure how they worded it. Most are casually going out now, stores are very busy but people are still generally giving way when passing each other in aisles. It's not quite normal yet but getting close. I bet in a week or two many will start to forget about the pandemic here providing no serious rise in new case happens. BTW, we've only had three cases since May 11th.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thank you for your time and effort with your reply.
Very informative.
I think that "Normal" is going to mean only 60% of those who lost jobs because of the virus will be returning to a workplace. 40% have had their jobs disappear forever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts