Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background Information on my Moving:
  1. I gave a month’s notice to the former landlord and left the apartment (say Apt A) 12 days earlier than the end of month (say Feb 17, 2011).
  2. I moved to the new apartment (say Apt. B). I sold all my furniture at Apt A. location and I shifted from Apt. A to Apt B. via bus.
  3. Unfortunately, I did not like that apartment and left it within 2 days (say Feb 17 to Feb 18). They charged me the rent (say from Feb 15 to Feb 19).
  4. From that apartment (Apt. B), I shifted to hotel from Feb 19 to Feb 24. Then I moved to the new apartment (Apt. C) on Feb 25.
  5. The new apartment (Apt. C) landlord charged me the rent from Feb 25 to Feb 28.
  6. From Feb 17 to Feb 24, I travelled via public transport or cab.
Questions on Moving Expense for Tax purposes:
  1. Can I claim the 12 days (from Feb 17 to Feb 28) rent that I paid out for the Apt. A after I moved?
  2. Can I claim Apt. B as my temporary accommodation from Feb 15 to Feb 19?
  3. Can I claim meal expenses using simplified method from Feb 15 to Feb 24 (i.e. 10 days)? Or Could I claim meal expenses using simplified method for all 15 days even though I shifted to Apt C. on Feb 24?
  4. Could I claim the cab and public transport expenses that I expensed from Feb 17 to Feb 24?

Thank you...

·
Registered
465 Posts
In order to claim moving expenses, you must move 40+ km closer to your job. If you meet the 40 km qualification, you can only claim expenses for breaking a lease. You cannot claim rent paid, especially if you are bouncing from apartment to apartment. You can only claim temporary accommodation while you are waiting for your new residence to be ready. You can only claim meal expenses during the actual move, and the time while you are waiting for your new accommodation.

Public transportation is only eligible if you have the receipts and the distance is 40+ km.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts