Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have some last-minute RRSP contribution room to use up, and no more cash sitting around to put towards it. I do, however, have some ETFs sitting in an unregistered Questrade account, and I would like to move some of them to my Questrade RRSP account. I would be happy to keep the same assets, because I am happy with my allocations.

Questions:

How can I do this in a manor that is both tax-efficient and fee-efficient?

I have some assets that have lost value, some that have gained value, and some neutral. Which should I move?

Should I simply sell them from the unregistered account, move the cash over, and re-purchase them? Or is there a better way?

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
You can do a transfer in-kind.
That'll essentially move the exact same securities under the registered account.
You will have to pay/claim capital gain/loss on the securities that you move into RRSP.
As long as both accounts are with the same brokerage, there should not be any fees for this move.
As for which ones to move, neutral ones are an easy choice.
Next, if you would like to claim a capital loss against other income then move the ones with loss.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, you can do a transfer-in-kind … BUT be careful … when you transfer non-registered assets into an RRSP, it triggers a “deemed disposition”, and any capital gains realized on the transferred assets must be reported … however, if you transfer assets that are in a loss position, you can NOT claim the losses … ever.

Therefore, it would be best to move assets that are in neutral or slight gain position … if you have assets that are in a loss position, and you want to place them in RRSP then you should sell the assets outside of RRSP, contribute cash, and then wait a minimum of 31 days before repurchasing them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts