Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do you pay? I know “pay for how much you drive” is gaining popularity for low mileage car drivers (ie. less than 9,000 kms/year).

does anything exist for bikes? I didn’t ride at all last year. I’m thinking of selling, but haven’t been able to pull the trigger. Is there any company offering insurance by the day? Or for very infrequent use?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
What province are you from? 9000km on a motorcycle is a lot of km's in a year. Sold my road bike many years ago, best decision I could have made. I get my fix off road now. No pay per use insurance offering for motorcycles that I'm aware of. Auto UBI is gaining in popularity.

The season is so short in my neck of the wood the cost is not worth it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not a lot of options for motorcycle insurance, period. I have only been out 4 or 5 times per year in the last few years so insurance, winter storage and upkeep make it a pricy hobby, but then I think about how much I enjoy those 4 or 5 rides. Not sure how many more years I'll continue though.

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
🤣 And your insurance is performing well I see ....sorry I couldn't resist. Maybe I should get some coffee.... Good way to start the day.
In Manitoba motorcycle insurance has been terrible for over 30 years. Even my old 1978 Kawasaki 650 costs $810 for 6 months here. I didn't need insurance on my R1 for many years, race track bike only. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
In Manitoba motorcycle insurance has been terrible for over 30 years. Even my old 1978 Kawasaki 650 costs $810 for 6 months here. I didn't need insurance on my R1 for many years, race track bike only. :)
Are there more motorcycle accidents in Manitoba verses other provinces....seems expensive. The 1978 Kawi in '78 would have been around 1k --no?

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Are there more motorcycle accidents in Manitoba verses other provinces....seems expensive. The 1978 Kawi in '78 would have been around 1k --no?
No, just the bad and unfair way they calculate the rates. It used to be almost double 10 years ago but they got caught fudging the numbers and had to reduce the rates a little. We only have the government insurance here so no competition from private to keep them fair. Also note the rates I quoted include a 33 percent discount for a perfect driving record.

Back around '78, IIRC, it was about $300 for the entire year.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, just the bad and unfair way they calculate the rates. It used to be almost double 10 years ago but they got caught fudging the numbers and had to reduce the rates a little. We only have the government insurance here so no competition from private to keep them fair. Also note the rates I quoted include a 33 percent discount for a perfect driving record.

Back around '78, IIRC, it was about $300 for the entire year.
What about the price of the bike?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Honestly I don't remember what I paid, bought it slightly used.
Well I bought a suzy GS=1000 in '82 new for 3200. I couldn't believe the insurance rate at the time was nearly a 1/3 of the price for the bike. Ontario wasn't always so great with insurance....

·
Registered
2 Posts
How much do you pay? I know “pay for how much you drive” is gaining popularity for low mileage car drivers (ie. less than 9,000 kms/year).

does anything exist for bikes? I didn’t ride at all last year. I’m thinking of selling, but haven’t been able to pull the trigger. Is there any company offering insurance by the day? Or for very infrequent use?
$285 with AVIVA. 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900

1 - 20 of 20 Posts