Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be checking my Canadian Tire Mastercard account this morning and I noticed that my Electronic Canadian Tire money (ECTM) balance is $49.78. It was $662.61 on my September statement so ~ $616 disappeared! I found two receipts from the gas bar. On Sept 24 it was $662.61 and on Oct 01 it was $46.61. My wife and I each have a card that was never out of our possession, and neither of us used any ECTM. There were only 8 transactions in that period and all of them are legit. I never think to use that money. We gas up our cars at the CTC gas pumps and the balance builds up over time.

If anyone has a Canadian Tire MasterCard I suggest you check your ECTM balance. Also known as Triangle Rewards.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Maybe your account was compromised and someone absconded with your points? Either way, CT should reimburse you. This happened to me years ago with PC points before they added 2 factor authentication.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is why I never "save up" points, as soon as I have an opportunity to use them for something they get spent. Any hackers or error on the part of the issuer is never going to cost me more than $10 or so of points.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
We save up our points and use the food ones at Christmas. We used the CTC points to buy a new gas BBQ this year.

If someone hacks your points, I am sure the companies will replace them after an investigation.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called them this morning and she said it happens frequently. She could even identify the transaction which took place in White Rock BC on Sept 30 for $618.55. She said not to worry, the ECTM will be replaced in a few days and our credit cards were not compromised. Still, I think I'll start using that money more often instead of letting it ride. It has been nice to get a car repair for free or to buy some large item in the past, but now I don't trust the system as much as I did.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder how often it happens to people who don't even notice it. In my case the number went from >$650 to < $50 so it was immediately obvious to me. What if the balance went from say $178.42 to $136.24 for example. Would someone notice that? Probably not, unless they were very observant and were keeping close watch on it. However on the other hand, it's probably the large balances that the fraudsters target and they are less likely to bother with small amounts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This usually happens when people reuse the same username/password on different websites/online services. All it takes is for one of them to get compromised, or for the user to get phished, then attackers test these credentials on all the main online platforms that can be monetized and resell the accounts they managed to get in.
@pwm : please change your CTC password immediately (if its not done already), and do so on any other website/online service on which you may be using the same password. If you don't already have a password manager to generate and store your passwords, now would be a good time to start! And enable 2FA on any critical service that has this option.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked my account and my CTC money has now been restored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts