Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
This from a country that buys Saudi oil instead of stuff produced in Canada? Don’t start pretending to care now.
Maybe it's a necessity because our domestic oil industry and its political backers would rather have Canadians freeze in the dark than if they can't choose their international markets.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Yeah, it’s the west blocking the pipelines east...

wonder what will happen when the transfer payments stop because the east shut down the money flow.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Maybe it's a necessity because our domestic oil industry and its political backers would rather have Canadians freeze in the dark than if they can't choose their international markets.
Huh? This doesn't make sense.
It's the green lobby who's trying to shut down the oil industry we use to heat our homes.

The domestic oil industry would LOVE to build pipelines so all Canadians can get access to low cost Canadian oil.
As it is, they are still shipping by rail, because they can't get pipelines approved.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
The domestic oil industry would LOVE to build pipelines so all Canadians can get access to low cost Canadian oil.
As it is, they are still shipping by rail, because they can't get pipelines approved.
Yes once you see an oil train, pipelines seem to be the safer alternative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
thics were the only factor in investing, I wouldn't own any stocks in BMO,TD, insurance companies or telecommunication and TV companies. It's companies like these that pissed me off as a customer. I looked at them as an investor because it's their kind of practices that are making money for them.

I'm sure shareholders are very happy with dividends from Extendicare but how many of them are willing to live or send their parents to live in facilities run by Extendicare
@james4beach :Certain chinese companies getting banned seems similar to what another user said. Yes for now I am glad I did not go into emerging markets.

@MrMatt : What do you mean when you say india benefits from european influence? I am not too familiar with their market situation. Are you talking about european companies being in india? Also, I am invested in BNS as well. i was unaware they introduced racial quotas. Sounds like they are just pandering.

@dcris07 :That is interesting. I have not heard of those at all. I agree a bit with others it may be getting a bit political and just made for people in a niche but I will look more into it.

I hear you on that point definitely understand why many people feel that ESG investing has gotten political and come off as just a marketing tool. I think its important to note that ESG investing especially in ETF's is just getting started and will only get better and more aligned with peoples views in the future. Companies all over the world are beginning to consider how they operate their businesses and how they affect the world around them and they are definitely aware of the fact that many people care about ESG issues. Investors do speak with their wallets and many will only invest in companies that have certain ESG scores. Take a look at MSCI's process for determining ESG scores : ESG Investing: ESG Ratings

Many products including the BMO ETFS i mentioned last week use MSCI indices that are built with a robust process to determine company inclusion. To sum it up i would say that we are at the beginning of this investment juncture and the standard for ESG investing will only rise in the future and many investors will start incorporating in their asset allocation decisions. Institutions, pension funds, mutual fund companies have already begun and i do not see this trend slowing down anytime soon.

Hope this provides some better context for everyone.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts