Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I toured the brewery before I even drank beer. Our cows loved their barley leftovers.

It's my favourite Canadian beer as well.. but I don't think Canadian beer lives up to all the hype really. At least they're still independent, but far from a craft brew

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Mill St Brewery in Toronto makes some interesting beers.

Mass market Canadian beers are only good in comparison to American mass market beers.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
what are your favorite craft beers mode?
Any Belgian monk's Trappist dubbel could probably top my list, but I don't know craft beers that well really. I just enjoy trying new ones

Québec has a lot of microbreweries along with BC but the market is still pretty small overall.

Mass market Canadian beers are only good in comparison to American mass market beers.
Agreed

And it doesn't have to be ice cold, or foamless!

·
Registered
749 Posts
what are your favorite craft beers mode?
I find there is a weak selection of good craft beers in much of Canada - I'm on the west coast.
I don't know if it counts as a craft beer, but I discovered Summer Weizen by Okanagan Spring this year. Thought it was good stuff, a wheat beer with "hints of apricot." Can't get it now that it's winter though. I'm hoping it'll be back next summer. I like trying the wheat beers after discovering (and enjoying) "weissbiers" like Franziskaner and Erdinger in Germany.

Another wheat beer I love which is becoming common now is Grasshopper. Brewed in Alberta. Great with a slice of lemon.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Aw man, just winding down for the night and suddenly have the uncontrollable craving for a weissbier

·
Banned
601 Posts
Okanagan Spring has some really good beers. I also really like Barking Squirrel from Hop City. It's a very hoppy beer like Duggan's #9 IPA and Hops and Robbers.

My fav summer beer would be Blanche de Chambly, a Quebec witbier. The citrus notes are perfect for the patio.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
You are in the right country!
The Belgians have much more variety, and even hundreds of different glasses, each for their own beer. Half of what they produce the Germans' don't even call beer - their loss.

Sorry Barwelle, just reread and noticed you were specifically discussing Weissbier.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Okanagan Spring has some really good beers. I also really like Barking Squirrel from Hop City. It's a very hoppy beer like Duggan's #9 IPA and Hops and Robbers.

My fav summer beer would be Blanche de Chambly, a Quebec witbier. The citrus notes are perfect for the patio.
So this is how we get FN to post - talk about beer. :)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
All I can think of is Inspector Morse saying to Sgt Lewis, "That's not beer, Lewis!" That's how I feel about Moosehead, I'm afraid.

We have about 60 microbreweries here in Québec producing more than 400 different beers; I've tried many of them but so far my favourites are the "Simple Malt" line by Brasseurs Illimités: http://www.brasseursillimites.com. These are nearly as good as anything I've gotten in England and Scotland.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts