Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this fund when searching for funds with 10+ year records:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...companyName=Montrusco Bolton Fixed Income 'B'

Anyone own this fund or familiar with Montrusco Bolton? Looks almost too good to be true - 15 year average of 19.7% with an MER of 0.05%?

The growth curve is practically unbroken, even around years 2008 - 2010.

I've got enough for the minimum investment but how can a bond fund perform so consistently well?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Found this fund when searching for funds with 10+ year records:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...companyName=Montrusco Bolton Fixed Income 'B'

Anyone own this fund or familiar with Montrusco Bolton? Looks almost too good to be true - 15 year average of 19.7% with an MER of 0.05%?

The growth curve is practically unbroken, even around years 2008 - 2010.

I've got enough for the minimum investment but how can a bond fund perform so consistently well?

the globe profile looks normal to me, not exceptional, for a well-managed fixed income fund since 1999. Most FI has prospered equally well.

we're coming out of a decade-and-a-half of ever-lowering interest rates. Rates are down now to bone-crushing lows, cannot really drop further. This has driven the rise in FI values.

in addition, most properly managed FI would have gotten through the 08/09 collapse reasonably well, so there is no particular merit to such success. At the time, good quality bonds shone. It was common stocks & sub-investment grade bonds that were severely affected.

since this is your first post here, i'm left wondering whether you might be advertising for this fund? only several more messages from yourself will show what your true agenda might be. I believe the moderators have some sort of rule that if a newcomer focuses uniquely upon one product in his first few posts, it can be assumed that said newcomer is spamming?

on the other hand, montrusco bolton is an old, well-established & highly respected financial management firm.

if you are a genuine newcomer eager to talk about fixed income securities, then a very warm welcome to you! many cmf members have wonderfully advanced knowledge in this sector, so you would be joining good company. Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
First question I would have - 'How much of the distribution is Return of Capital'?

I did a quick search for the answer, and was not able to find evidence of ROC.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
That's ridiculous. But I imagine those returns come with pretty high risk.

Either way, I won't be investing 150K in single fund (even if I could).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In response to humble_pie - I'm definitely not advertising for this fund. I just found this in my research but I appreciate you checking. This shows this forum is well moderated. Thank you for the welcome.

It becomes more interesting because someone on a different forum found this link about the same fund with drastically different numbers (6% over 15 years):
http://www.fundlibrary.com/funds/li...00&ps=25&p=1&s=F.EnglishName50&sd=asc&rating=

So which is accurate? Going to do some more digging this weekend.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
^^

good luck with the digging ... prospectus & detailed financial statements are not on montrusco bolton's website.

however, the evidence as to why not is also present on the website. They're an institutional shop. They're not looking for retail clients.

such firms will typically have some high value individual clients, though.

please notice - if you get to their website - that they're heavily into socially responsible & ethical investing. There are entire countries where they will not invest (since we don't know what their investments are, we have no way of knowing whether they invest in china, for example.)

their view is that SR companies will usually outperform, as they tend to focus heavily on excellence. I was pleased to see that one firm is throwing itself wholeheartedly into this posture. Other investment counsel can tailor SR portfolios for institutions who look for the same, of course, but montrusco bolton seemed to be practicing this across the board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts