Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on which is better or has less side effects, based on experience or research? I am about to get my first shot and don't know which to choose. 70 year old man with a pacemaker, high blood pressure, on dialysis for kidney failure.

In case you think I am "nuts" for not getting vaccinated, up until a few of months ago I was in better health and lived in the country 1/4 mile from my nearest neighbor. I'm retired, don't have to go anywhere, and go to town for groceries about once a week. And, the small town I go to had almost no Covid cases. So I figured my chances of catching anything were one in a million or less

Now things have changed. I moved to an apartment in town and go to the hospital 3 times a week for dialysis and my doctor recommends vaccination. I asked him about the blood clot issue, as I am already in danger of blood clots due to my heart condition, and he said that was the Johnson and Johnson which is no longer on the market.

It seems the offer a choice of Pfizer or Moderna, which would be my best choice?

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
Honestly, just go with what your doctor said is ok. If your Dr didn't point you towards either one, flip a coin between the two.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The best one is the one that is on offer. When I got my first shot it was Astra Zeneca and I got Moderna for the next two. I wouldn't say there was much difference in the reaction I had to any of them -- a few aches and chills the next day.

Astra Zeneca is long gone now, and around here they are keeping the Pfizer for kids making Moderna the only choice for adults.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on which is better or has less side effects, based on experience or research? I am about to get my first shot and don't know which to choose. 70 year old man with a pacemaker, high blood pressure, on dialysis for kidney failure.

In case you think I am "nuts" for not getting vaccinated, up until a few of months ago I was in better health and lived in the country 1/4 mile from my nearest neighbor. I'm retired, don't have to go anywhere, and go to town for groceries about once a week. And, the small town I go to had almost no Covid cases. So I figured my chances of catching anything were one in a million or less

Now things have changed. I moved to an apartment in town and go to the hospital 3 times a week for dialysis and my doctor recommends vaccination. I asked him about the blood clot issue, as I am already in danger of blood clots due to my heart condition, and he said that was the Johnson and Johnson which is no longer on the market.

It seems the offer a choice of Pfizer or Moderna, which would be my best choice?
... either one is fine ... asap/pronto.

I'm no where near 70 and got 2 Pfizer shots last year - didn't even feel a prick, let alone a jab. No reaction at all.

This year - just 2 days ago, got Moderna since Pfizer is reserved for age 30 and below (and I'm no longer that young) here in Toronto. Again, didn't even feel the prick, unlike my jabby flu shot (yes, annually). Just felt abit of soreness in the arm the next day but right now it's disappearing.

So I'm FULLY vaccinated with 3 shots of Pfizer and Moderna, trying to avoid the hospital at all costs.

PS: I don't own stocks in either Pfizer or Moderna.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
Agree with others and I am fully vaccinated at 71 and have heart stents and take some meds for blood pressure, statins, and aspirin daily.

Symptoms weren't worth worrying about. A bit of a tender shoulder. The last dose I didn't even know the lady did it until she said 'all done".

It is no big deal compared to what you are already dealing with.

Reactions: Beaver101

·
Registered
11 Posts
Either / or. They are both mRNA vaccines and so would not impede each other.
I guess you don't buy lottery tickets either hoping for that one is a million win! lol

·
Registered
764 Posts
HKPRDU (pretty sure that's where you are?), is only giving Pfizer to < 30 years old at their clinics. They aren't giving you a choice. Some are getting shots at pharmacies.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Doesn't matter really, if you are over 30. Moderna has a higher mRNA load than Pfizer so could have higher side effects due to the strength of the immune response. But as you get older, the immune response decreases and maybe you actually need the higher mRNA load to stimulate the immune system. If your doctor hasn't recommended a particular brand, then what ever is available works.

Edit: Blood clot issues are a thing of any adenovirus-delivery vaccine, which means J&J, Astra-zeneca, and some of the non-approved ones (Sputnik-Russian, maybe one of the Chinese versions).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Covid-19 pandemic: Frequent boosters can weaken immunity, says EU
Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune system and tire out people, it said

·
Registered
168 Posts
You do realize you will probably get Omicron.

1 shot at this stage will give you limited coverage after a couple of weeks.

You won't have better protection for many more weeks and months to come.

With your medical problems and age does it really matter if it's Pfizer or Moderna?

My advice would be to get either one 6 months ago.

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on which is better or has less side effects, based on experience or research?
Rusty, see my post here which has a comparison of the side effects. They aren't too different between Pfizer and Moderna. The only noteworthy side effect relates to "myocarditis" which is heart inflammation, and that's only being reported in younger people. At your age it should make no difference which vaccine you get

See this post

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Covid-19 pandemic: Frequent boosters can weaken immunity, says EU
Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune system and tire out people, it said
... this is North America, specifically Canada and we're not following the EU's schedule so don't start your spin to obfuscate (again!)

Reminder: I'm still on your ignore list!

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
... this is North America, specifically Canada and we're not following the EU's schedule
Right, I originally posted this article in the covid thread. Canada has been more restrained than Europe and Israel about using the boosters.

There isn't any indication that Canada plans to pump out boosters every 4 months, like the EU is warning about. For example I got my second shot in the summer and I still am not eligible to get my booster... and that's fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had 2 shots of Moderna. I had blood clots in my lungs about 5 years ago, nothing happened with the vaccine. I take blood thinners.

The only side effect was is spot where the injection was done was sore a couple days, kind of like a bee sting.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I think the risk of COVID, particularly for someone interacting with people is way higher than the vaccine risk.
I'd grab whatever you can get ASAP.

Most people 60+ who got it were VERY sick, even double vaxxed.

To be fair, my risk tolerance for vaccines is high, I took AZ right before they pulled it off the market.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My parents got Pfizer for their first two shots. However they were recommended to get Moderna for the 3rd because they are over 70. Pfizer maybe less "strong" when compared to Moderna. I would still get whatever you can get ASAP.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
My parents got Pfizer for their first two shots. However they were recommended to get Moderna for the 3rd because they are over 70. Pfizer maybe less "strong" when compared to Moderna. I would still get whatever you can get ASAP.
That's interesting. FWIW the Moderna booster is actually half strength of the first and second dose, and slightly less than Pfizer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts